Student

Re: A quetion for the athiests

Post #21

Post by DiabeetusJesus »

Abdulaziz wrote:what's up guys? :D

I just want to know about the athiesm

What do they believe in?

waiting for somebody to answer me,
When it comes to religion, we lack belief in the deities and the supernatural things that come with it. We go by logical thinking; if there isn't a shred of evidence for it then we lack belief in it.
bautista426 wrote:why dont you guys believe in god
There's no evidence towards any of their existences, so the logical thing to do is lack belief. Also,--I can't say this about every God as there are some I don't know much about although the majority have the same traits--their existence is a logical contradiction. In other words; if they existed with the common traits most, if not all have, their existence would go against reason itself.

David 2.0

hi...

Post #22

Post by David 2.0 »

I am content to stand under the "no true atheist" umbrella...
I may not be main stream. :D

My beliefs?
74.98% of the time I do not believe in God.
33.6% of the time this is a strong disbelief.

Unless I've just witnessed a sunset or am playing with my dogs...
Then its just a gut feeling. :D
(Awe and wonder effect-plus 19.8%?)

10.17% of the time, I just barely don't believe in God...(Close to a coin flip?)

Sometimes I don't understand the question. Say 9.11% of the time.

So as you can see I am 100% atheist and terrible at percentages.
This I believe.
:-k

Oldfarmhouse
Apprentice

Post #23

Post by Oldfarmhouse »

McCulloch wrote:
Jagella wrote: I don't know if I agree that all atheists believe that there is insufficient evidence to support the claim that there are any gods. Some atheists just don't care and haven't bothered to check the evidence for God(s).
George H. Smith coined the term implicit atheism in 1979. It is defined as "the absence of theistic belief without a conscious rejection of it". To me that is not really a form of atheism but agnosticism.
The term that I use is 'apatheist.' It's not in the dictionary but it can be found online. An apatheist is one who does not claim to have any knowledge about deities -- does not know, does not care. the question is of no interest to them. My grandmother was one. She did not care one bit if there was a god, no god, or many gods. Religious beliefs and investigation of any supernatural claims is something that she considered absolutely irrelevant to her life.

I am an atheist in regards to gods that have very specific and usually anthropomorphic attributes. There are some claims about this kind of deity that can be tested -- prayer, location, interaction, etc. Gods always, and without exception continue to be disappointing.

I would consider myself to be an apatheist in regard to a vague deist god. Can't be proven one way or another and if this something we know not what does exist I can't think of any reason anyone should care.

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Post #24

Post by McCulloch »

How can one be apathetic about the existence of the monotheist's god? If the God described by most monotheists does exist, then determining the will of that god has to be the most important thing in anyone's life. How is it possible that someone could not care about the being who will decide your eternity? I suspect that a person who claims not to care, actually does not believe, and cares not to argue about it.
Examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
First Epistle to the Church of the Thessalonians
The truth will make you free.
Gospel of John

Oldfarmhouse
Apprentice

Post #25

Post by Oldfarmhouse »

It is reasonable to assume that a person who is apathetic about the existence of the monotheistic gods would also not take seriously the idea that they will be punished for all eternity for rejecting them. My grandmother had no interest in talking about it. I'm sure she did not believe. But according to some of my other relatives she is in heaven because they baptized her after she died. Mormons can do that. They will no doubt insure that I get baptized after I die.

Oh well.

nona

Post #26

Post by nona »

[Replying to post 1 by Abdulaziz]

Hummm, atheists don't "believe" in anything, if you like they are the absence of belief. We have no guidelines on how to live and build our own way of life for ourselves instead of a ready made one from a church. This can be a good or bad thing depending on the person's personality.