Happy Anniversary?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

myth-one.com
Savant

Happy Anniversary?

Post #1

Post by myth-one.com »

Today, June 20th 2009, is the eighth anniversary of the sacrifice Andrea Yates made for her children. Had she not murdered them, Noah would be 15 years old, John would be 13, Paul 11, Luke 10, and Mary would be 8. Instead, they were murdered by their mother so they would go immediately to live with God eternally in the paradise of heaven, thus avoiding the possibility of eternal torment in hellfire.

Is this a victory for Christianity?

TXatheist
Site Supporter

Re: Happy Anniversary?

Post #2

Post by TXatheist »

myth-one.com wrote:Today, June 20th 2009, is the eighth anniversary of the sacrifice Andrea Yates made for her children. Had she not murdered them, Noah would be 15 years old, John would be 13, Paul 11, Luke 10, and Mary would be 8. Instead, they were murdered by their mother so they would go immediately to live with God eternally in the paradise of heaven, thus avoiding the possibility of eternal torment in hellfire.

At least she did what she did out of love. Wait, don't yell at me yet! lol... Granted, it was twisted sense of love, but she believed she was doing what she did for their own good. She was a mentally ill person who made a very poor choice based on good intentions. When god drowned all of his children it was not out of love or good intentions and he didn't have an excuse such as mental illness. He did it because he was unhappy with his children and wanted to "start over".

Who is more evil, god or Andrea Yates?
The Texas Atheist: http://www.txatheist.com
Anti-Theism Art: http://anti-theists.deviantart.com

"Atheism is the voice of a few intelligent people." ~ Voltaire

kayky
Prodigy

Post #3

Post by kayky »

I think that, if you believe as fundamentalist Christians do, that those who do not figure out the correct beliefs will spend eternity in hell, what Andrea Yates did was actually very understandable. What is a lifetime worth if it ends in an eternity of torment? This way, she guaranteed their eternal bliss.

TXatheist
Site Supporter

Post #4

Post by TXatheist »

kayky wrote:I think that, if you believe as fundamentalist Christians do, that those who do not figure out the correct beliefs will spend eternity in hell, what Andrea Yates did was actually very understandable. What is a lifetime worth if it ends in an eternity of torment? This way, she guaranteed their eternal bliss.
Agreed. If the bible, god, Jesus, etc is all indeed fact, then one could argue that what she did was compassionate and selfless.

polygonx
Student

Post #5

Post by polygonx »

myth-one.com wrote:Today, June 20th 2009, is the eighth anniversary of the sacrifice Andrea Yates made for her children. Had she not murdered them, Noah would be 15 years old, John would be 13, Paul 11, Luke 10, and Mary would be 8. Instead, they were murdered by their mother so they would go immediately to live with God eternally in the paradise of heaven, thus avoiding the possibility of eternal torment in hellfire.

Yes, love is always good. Yes, play John Lennon tune at all times. Yes, go to bed, wake up early, it is good at all times. Yes, food is good at all times. Yes, sex is good at all times. Yes, patriotism is good at all times. Yes, oil is good at all times. Yes, yes, yes, oh....yes! Ima a yes man!

Whatda questions? "Yes!".

Wuudaya a 'No' man? Lolz, it is always 'Yes!'

TXatheist
Site Supporter

Post #6

Post by TXatheist »

polygonx wrote:

Yes, love is always good. Yes, play John Lennon tune at all times. Yes, go to bed, wake up early, it is good at all times. Yes, food is good at all times. Yes, sex is good at all times. Yes, patriotism is good at all times. Yes, oil is good at all times. Yes, yes, yes, oh....yes! Ima a yes man!

Huh?

Celestial Dragon
Apprentice

Post #7

Post by Celestial Dragon »

polygonx wrote: Yes, love is always good. Yes, play John Lennon tune at all times. Yes, go to bed, wake up early, it is good at all times. Yes, food is good at all times. Yes, sex is good at all times. Yes, patriotism is good at all times. Yes, oil is good at all times. Yes, yes, yes, oh....yes! Ima a yes man!

I've never seen such a scrambled bag of words.

I believe what he is trying to say is that he's an optimist. I think he got a little off topic there after the first sentence, though. :lol:

polygonx
Student

Post #8

Post by polygonx »

Seijun wrote:Huh?
Celestial Dragon wrote:
polygonx wrote: Yes, love is always good. Yes, play John Lennon tune at all times. Yes, go to bed, wake up early, it is good at all times. Yes, food is good at all times. Yes, sex is good at all times. Yes, patriotism is good at all times. Yes, oil is good at all times. Yes, yes, yes, oh....yes! Ima a yes man!

I've never seen such a scrambled bag of words.

I believe what he is trying to say is that he's an optimist. I think he got a little off topic there after the first sentence, though. :lol:
No, the point was that not everything in the affirmative is good. Sex is not always good by the fact of rape. Patriotism is not always good by the fact of terrorism. Love is not always good for the fact of intention. Etc, etc, etc.

In other words, an end to itself, is not always or ever valid.

Sorry I had to make this scrambled obvious truth against a generalization of the fact made from the OP. Is this a victory for reason?

Furrowed Brow
Site Supporter

Post #9

Post by Furrowed Brow »

Sadly Yates manages to be both mentally ill and utterly logical at the same time. Even sadder is the fact people do kill there kids for a variety of reasons. She may have got around to killing her kids without the influence of a fundamentalist preacher, or even if she was an unbeliever. However the mix of mental illness and fire n brimstone religion in this instance was toxic.

It's just a very sad story. I don't blame religion. I do blame yates, but given she was ill I don't feel like pursueing blame with any vigor.

Goat
Site Supporter

Post #10

Post by Goat »

Furrowed Brow wrote:Sadly Yates manages to be both mentally ill and utterly logical at the same time. Even sadder is the fact people do kill there kids for a variety of reasons. She may have got around to killing her kids without the influence of a fundamentalist preacher, or even if she was an unbeliever. However the mix of mental illness and fire n brimstone religion in this instance was toxic.

It's just a very sad story. I don't blame religion. I do blame yates, but given she was ill I don't feel like pursueing blame with any vigor.
I partly blame religion, because her pastor and her husband refused to let her get the medical care she needed, due to their religious beliefs. I blame her for letting them say NO to the medical treatment she needed.
“What do you think science is? There is nothing magical about science. It is simply a systematic way for carefully and thoroughly observing nature and using consistent logic to evaluate results. So which part of that exactly do you disagree with? Do you disagree with being thorough? Using careful observation? Being systematic? Or using consistent logic?�

Steven Novella