Thinking of starting an Atheist "church"

Where agnostics and atheists can freely discuss

Moderator: Moderators

Bio-logical
Site Supporter

Thinking of starting an Atheist "church"

Post #1

Post by Bio-logical »

So I am unemployed right now, giving me a lot of time to ponder and to use it basically whatever way I see fit. This has given me an idea that I would like to put into action, and I was hoping for help if anybody has any ideas or possibly to just spread the idea abroad.

I want to start an atheist "church". Not a church in the idea of getting together and praying, but instead focusing on the good things that churches accomplish:

volunteer work
helping the poor
mission work (spreading education without a religious subtext)
gathering and maintaining resources and information to help people
counseling for the community
Sunday school (or something similar that teaches children logic and encourages free inquiry)
Social events
Potentially a private school someday

So... What do you think?
Doubt is not the end, but only the beginning of pursuit.

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Post #2

Post by McCulloch »

Some ideas:

Camp Offers Training Ground For Little Skeptics
SkeptiCamp

Center for Inquiry

Check with local authorities about getting licensed to be a secular officiant for weddings and funerals. If the rules require that there be a local religious sponsor, the Unitarian Universalists are usually quite open. However, it takes the right kind of personality and training to do this right.

Unless you have money or educational experience, I would avoid trying to get into that field.

It is my experience that atheists and humanists do not gather together as atheists and humanists to do good deeds or to volunteer. Instead, we find what causes we believe in and contribute to the organizations already in place meeting those needs. Check in your area for groups already involved with helping the poor, the homeless, human rights etc. I am sure that your local hospital could use your help.
Examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
First Epistle to the Church of the Thessalonians
The truth will make you free.
Gospel of John

Bio-logical
Site Supporter

Post #3

Post by Bio-logical »

McCulloch wrote:Some ideas:

Camp Offers Training Ground For Little Skeptics
SkeptiCamp

Center for Inquiry

Check with local authorities about getting licensed to be a secular officiant for weddings and funerals. If the rules require that there be a local religious sponsor, the Unitarian Universalists are usually quite open. However, it takes the right kind of personality and training to do this right.

Unless you have money or educational experience, I would avoid trying to get into that field.

It is my experience that atheists and humanists do not gather together as atheists and humanists to do good deeds or to volunteer. Instead, we find what causes we believe in and contribute to the organizations already in place meeting those needs. Check in your area for groups already involved with helping the poor, the homeless, human rights etc. I am sure that your local hospital could use your help.
Thank you for the tips. I do have some education background, I went to school for education but left the program before I finished, never got certified just got the bio degree and moved on.

Your last point is the reason I responded. I understand that atheists and humanists don't gather to do good deeds and volunteer, and that is what I would like to change. Too often we are treated as a group who do nothing but debate and bash Christians. I think it would be good if we did good things in the community and were overt about doing so. Show people that you don't need to be Christian to do good things and be good people.

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Post #4

Post by McCulloch »

Bio-logical wrote: I understand that atheists and humanists don't gather to do good deeds and volunteer, and that is what I would like to change. Too often we are treated as a group who do nothing but debate and bash Christians. I think it would be good if we did good things in the community and were overt about doing so. Show people that you don't need to be Christian to do good things and be good people.
It isn't that we don't do good things. It is just that we don't have to do good things in the name of atheism or humanism. We do good things just because they are good things. So we don't necessarily form a humanist let's-do-something-good society. We join in with those who are already doing good things, or like the atheist humanitarian Greg Mortenson, we start organizations to do good. But never in the name of atheism or even humanism. That's not the point.
Examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
First Epistle to the Church of the Thessalonians
The truth will make you free.
Gospel of John

Bio-logical
Site Supporter

Post #5

Post by Bio-logical »

McCulloch wrote:
Bio-logical wrote: I understand that atheists and humanists don't gather to do good deeds and volunteer, and that is what I would like to change. Too often we are treated as a group who do nothing but debate and bash Christians. I think it would be good if we did good things in the community and were overt about doing so. Show people that you don't need to be Christian to do good things and be good people.
It isn't that we don't do good things. It is just that we don't have to do good things in the name of atheism or humanism. We do good things just because they are good things. So we don't necessarily form a humanist let's-do-something-good society. We join in with those who are already doing good things, or like the atheist humanitarian Greg Mortenson, we start organizations to do good. But never in the name of atheism or even humanism. That's not the point.
I understand that it is not "in the name of atheism" but if there is a group that needs some positive PR in the eyes of the general public, it is us. We are in the news constantly for forcing public places to take down Christmas decorations or stopping prayer in school which, although I view as a positive, isn't necessarily the best PR in the eyes of the majority of theists. I feel it is important that we not only show people that atheists are not bad people, but also that we don't need God for the positive functions of a church to still be part of society. I believe that a large portion of church goes are more culturally religious than actually faithful - they go to church for the community aspect and the cultural ingroup feeling. It is important that people realize that there is a difference between what a church does and what it is.

nygreenguy
Guru

Post #6

Post by nygreenguy »

Aren't most UU churches pretty much this? :)

Bio-logical
Site Supporter

Post #7

Post by Bio-logical »

nygreenguy wrote:Aren't most UU churches pretty much this? :)
Don't know, haven't been to one. What I do know is that they accept anybody, regardless of creed. I am looking to build a community that specifically encourages rationalism and freethinking.