Argue for and against religions and philosophies which are not Christian

Moderator: Moderators

Coyotero
Scholar

Paganism Vs. Mainstream beliefs.

Post #1

Post by Coyotero »

From another thread:
jezuzISGod wrote: yeah but noone belifs that billions of people believes in christianity... 8-)
jezuzISGod wrote: but do you actuly belief that stuff?
So, my beliefs have been challenged on the basis of them being older and less popular (these days) Than Christianity... Although one could also consider Islam, Judaism, Buddhism, or just about anything else while we're on the subject.

Topic for debate: Are beliefs systems such as Asatru, Wicca, Shinto, Native tribal religions, or anything else generally referred to as "pagan" any less valid than more mainstream systems such as Christianity? Why?

Kuan
Site Supporter

Post #11

Post by Kuan »

This bothers me sometimes. For one, why does it matter how many people believe in something? Isnt that a logical fallacy that is well known as bandwagon?

Pagan and cult seem to have become almost negative terms when people use them. What I try to point out is that there is no way to prove any religious beliefs. Therefore I try my best to treat every religious belief in the same way.
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."
- Voltaire

Kung may ayaw, may dahilan. Kung may gusto, may paraan.

Baz
Site Supporter

Re: Paganism Vs. Mainstream beliefs.

Post #12

Post by Baz »

Coyotero wrote: Topic for debate: Are beliefs systems such as Asatru, Wicca, Shinto, Native tribal religions, or anything else generally referred to as "pagan" any less valid than more mainstream systems such as Christianity? Why?
Your beliefs have most likely been challenged on the basis of them being different to those of the challenger. In a debating forum that’s how it’s supposed to be isn’t it?
:whistle:

In my opinion all beliefs are equally valid but I would rather use the term points of view, as our beliefs come from who and where we are.

Even though I have been told by others on this site that popularity dose not equal truth (and I agree with that) I am still of the opinion that the majority view is the most likely to be at least closer than a minority. This doesn’t help my personal beliefs much as I lean a lot toward pantheism.
:blink:
Just another thought if all the minority groups, called whatever you like believe in a lot of the same stuff,(say things like the freedom to believe whatever you like and treating others as you want to be treated). These become majority views.
\"Give me a good question over a good answer anyday.\"

Laško
Student

Post #13

Post by LaÅ¡ko »

I think it is important to be specific on what religion one belongs to as each group defines different religions differently, for example;
  • Mormons consider themselves Christians, but Baptists consider them pagans.
    Heathens consider Mormons Christians, but Baptists consider both pagans.
    Jews consider JWs as pagans, but Catholics consider both of them as pagans.
    Catholics consider Methodists as pagans, but Methodists consider Catholics as pagans.

Laško

Gunnarr

Post #14

Post by Gunnarr »

The question is to big to answer, in this posters opinion.

So my attempt to answer it is difficult so I will reword it to suit.

Reconstructed Heathenry vs Most Pagan beliefs?

Reconstruction works with what is known, most other pagan beliefs like to work with what is unknown, so they can create a magical belief structure, that is entirely created in there heads.

Burninglight
Guru

Post #15

Post by Burninglight »

Laško wrote:I think it is important to be specific on what religion one belongs to as each group defines different religions differently, for example;
  • Mormons consider themselves Christians, but Baptists consider them pagans.
    Heathens consider Mormons Christians, but Baptists consider both pagans.
    Jews consider JWs as pagans, but Catholics consider both of them as pagans.
    Catholics consider Methodists as pagans, but Methodists consider Catholics as pagans.
I don't know about the Catholics & Methodists view of each other but the rest sounds right
I might like to add that Muslims see Christians as pagans and infidels, if they don't like them, but if they like them, they are a people of the book lol
Biblical Christians see Muslims as sincere theists, but sincerely wrong and lost!

Fides et Veritas

Re: Paganism Vs. Mainstream beliefs.

Post #16

Post by Fides et Veritas »

Coyotero wrote: From another thread:
jezuzISGod wrote: yeah but noone belifs that billions of people believes in christianity... 8-)
jezuzISGod wrote: but do you actuly belief that stuff?
So, my beliefs have been challenged on the basis of them being older and less popular (these days) Than Christianity... Although one could also consider Islam, Judaism, Buddhism, or just about anything else while we're on the subject.

Topic for debate: Are beliefs systems such as Asatru, Wicca, Shinto, Native tribal religions, or anything else generally referred to as "pagan" any less valid than more mainstream systems such as Christianity? Why?
Two points to consider.

One if it takes place on a debate forum you had best be prepared to be wrong (at least though of that way). You are engaged within the confines of a site that is dedicated to providing proof and evidence for why you believe what you do.
As with all things one must expect some sort of opposition. Though you feel your faith is valid, others do not. If they did then they would believe what you subscribe to. Healthy debate is a good thing, in my opinion.

Second, no one's belief is technically wrong. It is wrong to those who do not contend that life provides the answers that you have found. I for one, firmly believe that everyone who does not believe as me is wrong. But, again that is my belief. IF you feel the same way about me I contend that it natural and normal for you to disagree with me. After all how do we have different religions if one is right or all is right? Because we have different minds looking at the equation of Why?. As long as we all have our individuality, you can bank on there being massive differences in opinion. What you have to decide is does it effect you and your belief? If not then no worries. Move on with your life and let them rant and rage.