Messages from the admins

Moderator: Moderators

otseng
Savant

Addition of new rule

Post #1

Post by otseng »

A new rule has been added:

13. Posts that do not meet the minimum level of readability and comprehensibility can get deleted without notice and can result in an immediate member ban.
Last edited by otseng on Sun Nov 15, 2009 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Pastor4Jesus
Sage

Post #2

Post by Pastor4Jesus »

I was wondering who determines if a post is readable, and what would constitute a readable post? What I mean by that is; Will it be an arbitrary decision? And why the seemingly overreaction ie a ban for a badly written post? If its not an arbitrary decision and is based on grammar etc what are the guidelines used that will determine punishment. I am not bitching, but rather simply attempting to understand the parameters of these new rules. My writing style is sometimes difficult to understand so I am wondering!

Thanks in advance for your consideration....

p4jc
When Selfish Gene author Richard Dawkins challenged physicist John Barrow on his formulation of the constants of nature at last summer Templeton-Cambridge Journalism Fellowship lectures, Barrow laughed and said, “You have a problem with these ideas, Richard, because you aren''t really a scientist. You''re a biologist ! (Woo Hoo you go Barrow!)

otseng
Savant

Post #3

Post by otseng »

Pastor4Jesus wrote:I was wondering who determines if a post is readable, and what would constitute a readable post? What I mean by that is; Will it be an arbitrary decision? And why the seemingly overreaction ie a ban for a badly written post? If its not an arbitrary decision and is based on grammar etc what are the guidelines used that will determine punishment. I am not bitching, but rather simply attempting to understand the parameters of these new rules. My writing style is sometimes difficult to understand so I am wondering!

Thanks in advance for your consideration....

p4jc
This rule does not apply to you. People can understand you.

Though a rule like this normally shouldn't be needed, we do occasionally get people who nobody on the forum can really understand him/her. The rule is added to maintain the quality of this site and to prevent these type of people from degrading this site.

Pastor4Jesus
Sage

Post #4

Post by Pastor4Jesus »

Ha ha thanks! When some members get angry with me they accuse me of not being able to write or read etc. I should of known better, thanks for the fine well moderated site.

p4jc
When Selfish Gene author Richard Dawkins challenged physicist John Barrow on his formulation of the constants of nature at last summer Templeton-Cambridge Journalism Fellowship lectures, Barrow laughed and said, “You have a problem with these ideas, Richard, because you aren''t really a scientist. You''re a biologist ! (Woo Hoo you go Barrow!)

Sjoerd
Scholar

Post #5

Post by Sjoerd »

I would like to express my support to this rule, but only because I have a very high regard and confidence in the moderators team. I can see a real danger of abuse but I trust the current moderators to keep it at bay.
I also hope that the banning punishment will be applied with extreme restraint. Being a non-native English speaker, I have had the fortune to receive a lot of training in English. I would regret if this rule would prevent non-native speakers with good intentions but with less training from participation in this forum.
The road of excess leads to the palace of wisdom.
No bird soars too high, if he soars with his own wings.
The nakedness of woman is the work of God.
Listen to the fool''''s reproach! it is a kingly title!
As the caterpiller chooses the fairest leaves to lay her eggs on, so the priest lays his curse on the fairest joys.

William Blake - The Marriage of Heaven and Hell

otseng
Savant

Post #6

Post by otseng »

Sjoerd wrote:I also hope that the banning punishment will be applied with extreme restraint.
Yes, I expect that it will be used very infrequently.
Being a non-native English speaker, I have had the fortune to receive a lot of training in English. I would regret if this rule would prevent non-native speakers with good intentions but with less training from participation in this forum.
Actually, the forum members that the new rule would apply to seem to be Americans. :blink: