Getting to know more about a particular group

Moderator: Moderators

Ms_Maryam
Apprentice

Ask a Muslim woman!

Post #1

Post by Ms_Maryam »

Any thing you want to know?

No worries, I don't get offended easily so don't hold back.

This "Ask A Muslim Woman" thread is something my friends and I usually do on boards we visit and I decided to bring it to this forum.

So start asking questions. I'm all ears :)

FinalEnigma
Site Supporter

Post #2

Post by FinalEnigma »

I would be curious where you live and grew up, and whether you were always a muslim. It would influence the type of questions you recieve - unless you are uncomfortable answering that.
We do not hate others because of the flaws in their souls, we hate them because of the flaws in our own.

Ms_Maryam
Apprentice

Post #3

Post by Ms_Maryam »

FinalEnigma wrote:I would be curious where you live and grew up, and whether you were always a muslim. It would influence the type of questions you recieve - unless you are uncomfortable answering that.
Not at all.

I was born and bred my whole life in the America. I was born and currently live in Tennessee and I lived most of my childhood in Charlotte, NC.

My parents are Muslim; they both converted from Christianity in their early years (20's) and they raised my siblings and I as Muslim. I haven't always practiced Islam though.

Goat
Site Supporter

Post #4

Post by Goat »

Ms_Maryam wrote:
FinalEnigma wrote:I would be curious where you live and grew up, and whether you were always a muslim. It would influence the type of questions you recieve - unless you are uncomfortable answering that.
Not at all.

I was born and bred my whole life in the America. I was born and currently live in Tennessee and I lived most of my childhood in Charlotte, NC.

My parents are Muslim; they both converted from Christianity in their early years (20's) and they raised my siblings and I as Muslim. I haven't always practiced Islam though.
In your opinion, why is there such a great deal of difference between the implimentation of Sharia law through out the predominately Islamic countries. Why do
a large number of them seem to be very destructive and restrictive of women. Why do a number of them blame women for being raped, or seem to excuse honor killings, while some are much more flexible.
“What do you think science is? There is nothing magical about science. It is simply a systematic way for carefully and thoroughly observing nature and using consistent logic to evaluate results. So which part of that exactly do you disagree with? Do you disagree with being thorough? Using careful observation? Being systematic? Or using consistent logic?�

Steven Novella

Ms_Maryam
Apprentice

Post #5

Post by Ms_Maryam »

goat wrote: In your opinion, why is there such a great deal of difference between the implimentation of Sharia law through out the predominately Islamic countries. Why do
a large number of them seem to be very destructive and restrictive of women. Why do a number of them blame women for being raped, or seem to excuse honor killings, while some are much more flexible.
I think the variation of Shariah law is a bit of culture, political and scholar view differences.

As far as "honor killings," this is a crime that has and was performed by cultures who've held on to this custome inspite being Muslim. Honor killings have been practiced by people pre-Islam, and currently unfortunately, even though this custom contradicts Islamic teaching. In countries such as India and Pakistan, which have the highest amount of crime, is this committed.

If a woman is raped, it isn't a crime on her. It's a crime on the person who raped her. Actually, even accusing a woman of being unchaste is a big no-no in Islam:

Quran 24:4-5. And those who launch a charge against chaste women, and produce not four witnesses (to support their allegations),- flog them with eighty stripes; and reject their evidence ever after: for such men are wicked transgressors;-Unless they repent thereafter and mend (their conduct); for Allah is Oft- Forgiving, Most Merciful.

24:23 Those who slander chaste women, indiscreet but believing, are cursed in this life and in the Hereafter: for them is a grievous Penalty.

Jayhawker Soule
Sage

Post #6

Post by Jayhawker Soule »

As-salamu 'alaiki Ms_Maryam. How does Islam view Torah?

Coyotero
Scholar

Post #7

Post by Coyotero »

I'd be interested in a Muslim's take on reconstrucionist religions, such as my own. Some of the fundamentalist christians seem to think we are devil worshippers (of course, many of the same would say the same thing about Islam. It's silly).

Ms_Maryam
Apprentice

Post #8

Post by Ms_Maryam »

Jayhawker Soule wrote:As-salamu 'alaiki Ms_Maryam. How does Islam view Torah?
Wa alaikum :)

Muslims believe in the Gospel and Torah as being revealed to Jesus and Moses; however we believe that neither of these books are in their original form since their revealation. We believe that the Quran is the last unchanged book of our creator's revealation, confirming the message brought by other prophets before(Adam, Moses, Abraham, Noah, Jesus, to name a few).

Quran 5:46
And We caused Jesus, son of Mary, to follow in their footsteps, confirming that which was (revealed) before him in the Torah, and We bestowed on him the Gospel wherein is guidance and a light, confirming that which was (revealed) before it in the Torah - a guidance and an admonition unto those who ward off (evil).

6:84 We gave him Isaac and Jacob: all (three) guided: and before him, We guided Noah, and among his progeny, David, Solomon, Job, Joseph, Moses, and Aaron: thus do We reward those who do good:

Ms_Maryam
Apprentice

Post #9

Post by Ms_Maryam »

Coyotero wrote:I'd be interested in a Muslim's take on reconstrucionist religions, such as my own. Some of the fundamentalist christians seem to think we are devil worshippers (of course, many of the same would say the same thing about Islam. It's silly).
Hello Coyotero.

Thanks for the question.

Before I answer though, I would need a better explanation and understanding of the reconstrucionist religions and what they teach.

Jayhawker Soule
Sage

Post #10

Post by Jayhawker Soule »

Ms_Maryam wrote:
Jayhawker Soule wrote:As-salamu 'alaiki Ms_Maryam. How does Islam view Torah?
Wa alaikum :)

Muslims believe in the Gospel and Torah as being revealed to Jesus and Moses; however we believe that neither of these books are in their original form since their revealation. We believe that the Quran is the last unchanged book of our creator's revealation, confirming the message brought by other prophets before(Adam, Moses, Abraham, Noah, Jesus, to name a few).

Quran 5:46
And We caused Jesus, son of Mary, to follow in their footsteps, confirming that which was (revealed) before him in the Torah, and We bestowed on him the Gospel wherein is guidance and a light, confirming that which was (revealed) before it in the Torah - a guidance and an admonition unto those who ward off (evil).

6:84 We gave him Isaac and Jacob: all (three) guided: and before him, We guided Noah, and among his progeny, David, Solomon, Job, Joseph, Moses, and Aaron: thus do We reward those who do good:
Thank you. Is there any consensus on when and why the Torah was changed?