Getting to know more about a particular group

Moderator: Moderators

Ms_Maryam
Apprentice

Ask a Muslim woman!

Post #1

Post by Ms_Maryam »

Any thing you want to know?

No worries, I don't get offended easily so don't hold back.

This "Ask A Muslim Woman" thread is something my friends and I usually do on boards we visit and I decided to bring it to this forum.

So start asking questions. I'm all ears :)

Jayhawker Soule
Sage

Post #11

Post by Jayhawker Soule »

By the way: Happy Thanksgiving and Eid Mubarak!

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #12

Post by JoeyKnothead »

Does the Islamic religion teach that Islam is to rule government agencies and disregard any secular concerns?

If so, would Ms Maryam vote to enact Sharia law in the US or her more local governments?
I might be Teddy Roosevelt, but I ain't.
-Punkinhead Martin

Ms_Maryam
Apprentice

Post #13

Post by Ms_Maryam »

Sorry for the delayed responses everyone.

I've been caught up with school, but I'm getting to the replies now.
Jayhawker Soule wrote:By the way: Happy Thanksgiving and Eid Mubarak!
This is very late, but thanks! :D

Ms_Maryam
Apprentice

Post #14

Post by Ms_Maryam »

Jayhawker Soule wrote: Thank you. Is there any consensus on when and why the Torah was changed?
I'm sure there has been some research on this topic, but I'm not thoroughly fimiliar with it.

The Quran verse that comes to mind in reference to this topic of the Torah being changed:

“Do you (faithful believers) covet that they will belive in your religion in spite of the fact that a party of them (Jewish rabbis) used to hear the Word of Allaah (the Tawraat), then they used to change it knowingly after they understood it?� [al-Baqarah 2:75]

If you'd like, I could get sources that go into detail about this topic.

Ms_Maryam
Apprentice

Post #15

Post by Ms_Maryam »

joeyknuccione wrote:Does the Islamic religion teach that Islam is to rule government agencies and disregard any secular concerns?

If so, would Ms Maryam vote to enact Sharia law in the US or her more local governments?
Very good question.

Islam teaches that Islam is a way of life and governing for all Muslims. It is actually SUnnah (way of the prophet) to follow the laws of the land in which you reside.

An example from the life of Muhammad.

C. 600 AD, the Muslims of Mecca were being persecuted by Meccan pagans and were seeking protection. A group, which included Muhammad's daughter Ruqaya and his cousin, of these Muslims migrated to Abysinnia (present day Ethiopia); Prophet Muhammad (peace and blessings be upon him) describe the Abyssinian King Negus(a christian) in a very high manner and said about him "a king rules without injustice, a land of truthfulness." These Muslims were welcomed, protected, and live peacefully with them.

To your last question:

This is not a black and white issue. My answer would be no. I wouldn't impose Islamic law for Muslims on Non-muslims in a non-muslim country. I'm able to freely practice my religion currently, and that is what is most important.

Ms_Maryam
Apprentice

Post #16

Post by Ms_Maryam »

JoeyKnuccione,

I don't know if I answered your questions fully; I will try to get more sources that explain Islam's stance on Shariah and other governments ruling.

Ms_Maryam
Apprentice

Post #17

Post by Ms_Maryam »

delete

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #18

Post by JoeyKnothead »

Ms_Maryam wrote:JoeyKnuccione,

I don't know if I answered your questions fully; I will try to get more sources that explain Islam's stance on Shariah and other governments ruling.
You did, and quite well.

All the best to you and yours.

Furrowed Brow
Site Supporter

Post #19

Post by Furrowed Brow »

Ms_Maryan wrote:This is not a black and white issue. My answer would be no. I wouldn't impose Islamic law for Muslims on Non-muslims in a non-muslim country.
But would you impose Islamic law law on a non-muslim in a Muslim country?

More pertinent still. Would you...if you could...impose Islamic law in a non Mulsim country on a Muslim in name a lapsed Muslim or an ex Muslim?

itsNotLikeIThoughtItWould

How does islam explain Jesus Christs Claims?

Post #20

Post by itsNotLikeIThoughtItWould »

Hi Maryam,
I think We have chatted before in a different forum (this is going back 2 years) If it is you I have you on my msn messanger :) I think our chats may have even started via a thread like this one!

Anyway my question - specifically I meant Jesus claims that he was the son of god and the messiah (character limit did not allow that in the title).

I understand Muslims believe that Jesus Christ was not the son of god or the messiah, but that he was a prophet?

However to me, that does not fit in some ways. For example, if Jesus was a prophet, then his claims to be the son of god, would have to be either deliberate lies, or delusions? Neither of which I would have thought, would make him a good example of a prophet? While in the bible many imperfect people were chosen as prophets, I am not aware of any of them claiming to be god, or the son of god (except Jesus obviously). What I mean is I cannot imagine reading in the bible about Moses - and reading that moses had claimed he was god or the son of god (moses just being the first name that came to mind - I cant imagine any prophet depicted in the bible, being that detached from reality, or that deliberate a liar...

I would be interested to hear what Islam says about this and how it explains Jesus's claims to be the son of god and the messiah, in the context of him being a man who was a prophet of god?

Also what is the reason that the statement a person makes when they convert (revert) to Islam about Allah being god and Mohammed his prophet - why is only Mohammed mentioned? why not all prophets? (Yes it would be a mouthful, but as part of a ceremony probably quite appropriate). Why does it seem that Mohammed is given attention that seems in many ways to be almost worship? (By the way is it Mo or Mu? ( I see it spent both ways and even spell check does not know LOL) So I dont know which is the correct spelling to use

Do Muslim people consider the status of Muhammad to be higher than that of the average Muslim person at all?

Thanks for your replies. (and if you want to catch up/see if you are the Maryam I chatted with in the past, feel free to send me a private message and I can give you some info about the one on my msn, and see if it is you :)