What use is it?

Creationism, Evolution, and other science issues

Moderator: Moderators

old ag
Student

What use is it?

Post #1

Post by old ag »

Back in 1987, I gave a speech asking What Use is it? I have found no evolutionist then or since who is able or willing to tackle the question. (I guess I could scan and insert the text of the original talk if anyone is interested. And if I could figure out how to do it)

What PRACTICAL use is evolution. HOW is it used in decision making to build and maintain our modern society? Can someone give me the equation that contains evolution as one of its factors in deciding anything??

Will the modern ability to transplant organs disappear if I prove tomorrow that the organ was created instead of evolved??

Challenge! Give me a use!

Old Ag

Zarathustra
Apprentice

Post #2

Post by Zarathustra »

First of all, I think perhaps this is the wrong forum?

That's a good question! As a counter-point I will submit that perhaps evolution does not NEED a practical application to modern society. The theory of evolution helps us understand more about our universe and how it works.

Of what practical use is Religion to modern society? Of what practical use is seafaring by the stars in an age of computerized navigation and gps? Can you tell me why I need to know that the zenith is always in the north when I can just look at my compass or computer display?

Not to deviate from the topic too much, evolution teaches us more about the universe in which we take part. And, in the end, is that not one of mankind's missions: What is the meaning of life?
"Live that you might find the answers you can't know before you live.
Love and Life will give you chances, from your flaws learn to forgive." - Daniel Gildenlow

Corvus
Guru

Post #3

Post by Corvus »

I am not entirely sure I see the point here. If I admit that evolution has no use to society, what does it matter? What use is this post that asks what use is evolution? It would neither discredit or trivialise it.

There are many branches of science that have no practical use and exist solely for the edification of those interested. Nevertheless, they are real science or real knowledge - knowledge being the origin of the word science - and should not be trivialised. Nor should it be suggested that their students should choose a more productive field, like chemistry or brick-labouring.

I could probably ask every palaeontologist what use palaeontology is to mankind and get a similar lack of response as you did when asking evolutionists. Then what? I say we don't give them any nobel prizes.
<i>'Beauty is truth, truth beauty,—that is all
Ye know on earth, and all ye need to know.'</i>
-John Keats, Ode on a Grecian Urn.

The Happy Humanist
Site Supporter

Re: What use is it?

Post #4

Post by The Happy Humanist »

Challenge! Give me a use!
I could be really naughty and say that its highest and best use is in proving the fallibility of the Bible and thus knocking Christianity off its lofty perch... :-# But I won't do that....

I think it may have applications in bacteriology, developing strains of antibiotics that don't weaken over time....maybe?
Jim, the Happy Humanist!
===
Any sufficiently advanced worldview will be indistinguishable from sheer arrogance --The Happy Humanist (with apologies to Arthur C. Clarke)

bdbthinker
Student

Post #5

Post by bdbthinker »

umm..dunno. It's certainly nice to know about though :)
maybe something along the lines of what jimspeiser said. Is there a point to asking or are you just bringing up the question?

The Happy Humanist
Site Supporter

Username change

Post #6

Post by The Happy Humanist »

For the record, I'm now The Happy Humanist. Decided it was time, since (a) I have finally graduated to apprentice, and (b) I'm starting to get some strange phone calls. I've never been one to hide my identity out of fear of Christ-o-phrenics, but, well, maybe that's a little too cavalier an attitude these days. I do have a family....:-$

==HH==
Jim, the Happy Humanist!
===
Any sufficiently advanced worldview will be indistinguishable from sheer arrogance --The Happy Humanist (with apologies to Arthur C. Clarke)

YEC
Sage

Post #7

Post by YEC »

Evolutionism has a purpose....a use...

That's to cast a doubt on the creator Jesus Christ.

juliod
Guru

Post #8

Post by juliod »

Will the modern ability to transplant organs disappear if I prove tomorrow that the organ was created instead of evolved??
No, but the technique would probably never have been invented if modern science hadn't been founded. Nothing would be lost if evolution were proved false.

I will give you only one example of the utility of evolution: antibiotics. We have learned, in biology, that there is a constant bio-warfare at the microbial level. Bacteria, which are simple and grow fast, are competeing with eukaryotes, which are slower in reproduction, but have a much more advanced biochemistry. One of the weapons they lob at the bacteria is antibiotics: chemicals that retard or kill the simpler organisms.

This is an evolutionary process. As the bacteria evolve resistance the fungi evolve new antibiotics.

Once the first antibiotics were isolated, and the evolutionary process revealed, it stimulated a search for new antibiotics among the lower eukaryotes. Companies still today collect fungi from the rain forests and other remote regions with the hope of finding an undiscovered antibiotic that can be synthesized and sold (not to say patented). It is hope that in some isolated spot there is a strain that has evolved an antibiotic for it's own particular environment that might be useful for medical uses.

Note that there are no companies that pray for new antibiotics to be created ex nihilo.

Right? Right!

DanZ

juliod
Guru

Post #9

Post by juliod »

Evolutionism has a purpose....a use...

That's to cast a doubt on the creator Jesus Christ
If that were true it would be sufficient reason for it to exist and be promulgated.

DanZ

ST88
Site Supporter

Post #10

Post by ST88 »

This thread has been moved to Creationism vs. Evolutionism