Religion in TV, Movies, Books, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Furrowed Brow
Site Supporter

Book of Eli

Post #1

Post by Furrowed Brow »

Book of Eli starring Denzel Washington.

Was this a movie promoting religion or was it critical of religion?

For what it is worth I thought it tried to do both.

slashreborn06
Student

Re: Book of Eli

Post #2

Post by slashreborn06 »

Furrowed Brow wrote:Book of Eli starring Denzel Washington.

I know what your saying. I really don't think that the director of this movie, or that Denzel Washington made this movie to either witness to people about religion, or to bash religion at all. I really just think that they werent afraid to use the Bible as the book to be the center of a really ausome story.

I do think that the movie was trying to relay a message, and a good message at that. I think It was trying to say that The Bible ( and you can this the case for all religious books) is a very powerful book. More Wars have been fought over Religion than for any other reason. I think the message was that the Power of the Bible (or Religion) can be used for good...or it can be used for evil. It really just depends on who is behind the teaching of it.

sickles
Sage

Post #3

Post by sickles »

slashreborn06 wrote:

I know what your saying. I really don't think that the director of this movie, or that Denzel Washington made this movie to either witness to people about religion, or to bash religion at all. I really just think that they werent afraid to use the Bible as the book to be the center of a really ausome story.

I do think that the movie was trying to relay a message, and a good message at that. I think It was trying to say that The Bible ( and you can this the case for all religious books) is a very powerful book. More Wars have been fought over Religion than for any other reason. I think the message was that the Power of the Bible (or Religion) can be used for good...or it can be used for evil. It really just depends on who is behind the teaching of it.
It also purported that the world ended and that the cause was the bible, which is why they were all burned. It insinuated that they were all burned so it wouldnt happen again.
"Behold! A Man!" ~ Diogenes, my Hero.

achilles12604
Site Supporter

Post #4

Post by achilles12604 »

Honestly, I thought both. But as the plot line was lacking at best, I certainly do not feel the need to rent it to review.
It is a first class human tragedy that people of the earth who claim to believe in the message of Jesus, whom they describe as the Prince of Peace, show little of that belief in actual practice.

livinglife

Book of Eli

Post #5

Post by livinglife »

I think you guys need to check out The Case For Teaching The Bible by David Van Biema. The rate of Biblical literacy amongst our U.S. citizens is so low it sad. This is a matter that requires much attention. The Bible has been the #1 selling book for years and still only half of U.S. adults know the title of even one Gospel. Most can't name the Bible's first book. The trend extends even to Evangelicals, only 44% of whose teens could identify a particular quote as coming from the Sermon on the Mount. With that being said ill take The Book of Eli using the Bible. Maybe it caught a few viewers eye influencing them to get into the more and have a better understanding of the Bible.

Logomachist
Student

I don't think it was about religion one way or the other.

Post #6

Post by Logomachist »

I don't think it was about religion one way or the other. It was about civilization falling apart and people being stupid. By the time the movie was set, organized religion had become irrelevant/nonexistent.

PinkNailPolish

Post #7

Post by PinkNailPolish »

I don't think that the movie had anything really positive to say about religion, the god it may have been portraying was one with very limited abilities. The most it could do was protect a guy that had memorized the Bible. It couldn't stop the nuclear war, it could save people from the roving bands of murderous thugs, and the guy it was supposedly protecting eventually died. In fact, the main character could have easily just been talking to himself. Really, the god from Book of Eli isn't discernible from nothing. A nothing god isn't really how most believers think their's to be.
If that movie was trying to positively portray religion, it failed miserably.

Pazuzu bin Hanbi
Sage

Post #8

Post by Pazuzu bin Hanbi »

sickles wrote:It insinuated that they were all burned so it wouldnt happen again.
“Now let’s burn down the observatory so that this’ll never happen again!�
لا إلـــــــــــــــــــــــــــه