What Christian Music Is Right

Where Christians can get together and discuss

Moderator: Moderators

juber3
Student

What Christian Music Is Right

Post #1

Post by juber3 »

Hey, currently i'm downloading some christian tunes so i can go to work (i still walk :cry: ) Anyway which type of Gospel music is right? For example i don't like or think that christian rock or christian rap is right and glorifies god. I listen to the old time type of christian music "old rugged cross" "why we sing" "i surrender all" But what type of christian music do you like best?
"Blessed is the nation whose God is the LORD; and the people whom he
hath chosen for his own inheritance." PSALM 33-12

"To the chief Musician, A Psalm of David. The
fool hath said in his heart, There is no
God..... PSALM 13-1"

Corvus
Guru

Re: What Christian Music Is Right

Post #11

Post by Corvus »

Illyricum wrote:
juber3 wrote:Hey, currently i'm downloading some christian tunes so i can go to work (i still walk :cry: ) Anyway which type of Gospel music is right? For example i don't like or think that christian rock or christian rap is right and glorifies god. I listen to the old time type of christian music "old rugged cross" "why we sing" "i surrender all" But what type of christian music do you like best?

Hey Juber3, I also enjoy listening to hymns (some of my favorites are "Amazing Grace" "Come Thou Fount of Every Blessing" "Blessed Assurance" ) but also enjoy listening to contempary christian music (Third Day, MercyMe, Casting Crowns, Rebecca St.James, ect.). I don't think that listening to [christen] rap or rock is nessecerily wrong. I believe that it's not the music that really matters as much as it's lyrics. If the song only has a few words in it, ( like let's say the song just says "God rocks" the whole song) I don't really see how that's glorifing to God.
Although I am not a Christian, I have to disagree here. Some of the best classical music has either no words, very few, or is written entirely in Latin and happens to be incredibly inspiring. An atheist friend of mine even commented that when listening to some tunes, he feels transcendent. It's beauty glorifying God - just as art once did. Unfortunately in modern times there has been an obvious dearth in the ability to create beautiful things. I'd prefer Gregorian chant to any kind of rap - Christian or no - any day.
<i>'Beauty is truth, truth beauty,—that is all
Ye know on earth, and all ye need to know.'</i>
-John Keats, Ode on a Grecian Urn.

otseng
Savant

Re: What Christian Music Is Right

Post #12

Post by otseng »

Corvus wrote:Some of the best classical music has either no words, very few, or is written entirely in Latin and happens to be incredibly inspiring.
Good point. Beethoven's Fifth Symphony to me is one of the most inspiring and emotional pieces in all the world of music.

Iconoclast
Student

Post #13

Post by Iconoclast »

Arghoslent

Angry McFurious
Student

Post #14

Post by Angry McFurious »

Just random -- I dated this girl and she was from "Church of Christ" and they believed it was a sin to use instruments while singing and worshiping God. I said in revelations the elders were using harps to worship God... but they just gave me a dirty look... that and when I told them I was jewish.

otseng
Savant

Post #15

Post by otseng »

AngryMcFurious wrote:that and when I told them I was jewish.
You're Jewish? Would you mind if I ask you a few questions of Judaism? Nothing hard, no deep theological stuff, just more out of curiousity type of questions.

Angry McFurious
Student

Post #16

Post by Angry McFurious »

I think whatever moves you more. Then again the new type of music that christians have get you more on an emotional level. In my opinion being on a high emotional level during worship is a bad thing because emotions are often misleading and keeping a clear state of mind alows you to process what your getting out of the lesson more clearly.
:dance: ~Jews Rock~ :dance:

Todd
Student

Post #17

Post by Todd »

I myself like Hymns. I don't like Christian Rock or rap because I find that even though the lyrics would glorify God, the actual music seems too "Worldly". I know I've read somewhere in the Bible "love not the world"