The Purpose Driven Life - Rick Warren

Debate specific books

Moderator: Moderators

otseng
Savant

The Purpose Driven Life - Rick Warren

Post #1

Post by otseng »

This thread is to debate/discuss the book The Purpose Driven Life by Rick Warren.

If you would like to participate in this thread, sign up on the signup sheet.

For now, we'll debate the book in only this thread. If we start to have a lot of people participating, then we can split it off to several threads.

We'll go through the book a chapter at a time, but anyone can make comments at anytime about chapters that we've already covered. Please hold off on discussing future chapters until we get to it.

Book debate format:
- Start off with background info of the author and book.
- Try to cover one chapter at a time and discuss the points made in that chapter. No chapter opened up will be closed until the entire thread is closed.
- Give final thoughts on the book.
- Close the thread.

otseng
Savant

Post #51

Post by otseng »

Compassionist wrote:
winepusher wrote:
otseng wrote:Day 5 - Seeing Life From God's View

Warren presents two metaphors on what life is - a test and a trust.

Questions he presents: What has happened to me recently that I now realize was a test from God? What are the greatest matters God has entrusted to me?
It seems quite unfair if your view of life is as a "test."

Not everybody in life faces the same tests and struggles. A person born into the conflicts and struggles of Africa obviously faces a more challenging test than someone who is born to an American CEO or Corporate Executive.
Indeed. There is nothing fair about who lives how and who dies how. The rich get richer while the poor get poorer. Life is a ruthlessly meritocratic rat race for survival, reproduction and supremacy.
Under what would it be a requirement for things to be fair? The Bible certainly doesn't say that life is fair. And nothing is fair with the theory of evolution. So, on what basis should things be fair?
"For to all those who have, more will be given, and they will have an abundance; but from those who have nothing, even what they have will be taken away." - Matthew 25:29. How is this just? How is this charitable?
This is in the context of the parable of the talents. Basically, it's in regards to being faithful. For those that are faithful, they will be given more. For those that are not faithful with what was given to them, it will be taken away from them.
I have viewed your Which is more rational? God is real or imaginary? and my stance is still that of a Strong Agnostic Atheist Compassionist Humanist.
In regards to the arguments presented in the thread, how specifically do you counter the arguments? Also bear in mind that I'm arguing for a generic god and not a Christian God.
I also challenge you, God(s) and all of reality to prove to me that I am not a prisoner of causality and I actually have a free will which is outwith the constraints of causality! :D
Have you performed my experiment yet?

Compassionist
Guru

Post #52

Post by Compassionist »

otseng wrote:
Compassionist wrote:
winepusher wrote:
otseng wrote:Day 5 - Seeing Life From God's View

Warren presents two metaphors on what life is - a test and a trust.

Questions he presents: What has happened to me recently that I now realize was a test from God? What are the greatest matters God has entrusted to me?
It seems quite unfair if your view of life is as a "test."

Not everybody in life faces the same tests and struggles. A person born into the conflicts and struggles of Africa obviously faces a more challenging test than someone who is born to an American CEO or Corporate Executive.
Indeed. There is nothing fair about who lives how and who dies how. The rich get richer while the poor get poorer. Life is a ruthlessly meritocratic rat race for survival, reproduction and supremacy.
Under what would it be a requirement for things to be fair? The Bible certainly doesn't say that life is fair. And nothing is fair with the theory of evolution. So, on what basis should things be fair?
"For to all those who have, more will be given, and they will have an abundance; but from those who have nothing, even what they have will be taken away." - Matthew 25:29. How is this just? How is this charitable?
This is in the context of the parable of the talents. Basically, it's in regards to being faithful. For those that are faithful, they will be given more. For those that are not faithful with what was given to them, it will be taken away from them.
I have viewed your Which is more rational? God is real or imaginary? and my stance is still that of a Strong Agnostic Atheist Compassionist Humanist.
In regards to the arguments presented in the thread, how specifically do you counter the arguments? Also bear in mind that I'm arguing for a generic god and not a Christian God.
I also challenge you, God(s) and all of reality to prove to me that I am not a prisoner of causality and I actually have a free will which is outwith the constraints of causality! :D
Have you performed my experiment yet?
Yes, I did your experiment. I was, still am and will always be a prisoner of causality!

otseng
Savant

Post #53

Post by otseng »

Compassionist wrote: Yes, I did your experiment. I was, still am and will always be a prisoner of causality!
Now, if I told you to continue the experiment by mailing me a check for $1000, would you still be a prisoner of causality?

otseng
Savant

Post #54

Post by otseng »

Day 6. Life is a temporary assignment.
To make the best use of your life, you must never forget two truths: First, compared with eternity, life is extremely brief. Second, earth is only a temporary residence.
In God's eyes, the greatest heroes of faith are not those who achieve prosperity, success, and power in this life, but those who treat this life as a temporary assignment and serve faithfully, expecting their promised reward in eternity.