Survey on Priests Involved in Sexual Harrassment Cases

Pointless Posts, Raves n Rants, Obscure Opinions

Moderator: Moderators

arrha

Survey on Priests Involved in Sexual Harrassment Cases

Post #1

Post by arrha »

** this should be a poll topic, unfortunately, I don't know how to add many questions so here: (this survey is made for a senior's thesis on apostasy as a result of sexual scandals committed by Roman Catholic Priests!)

OBJECTIVES OF THE SURVEY: To find out Former Catholics’ perception on Roman Catholic priests who are involved in sexual acts and the reason why they left the Church.

Name:
Location/Country:

1. What is your religion now?
a. protestant
b. born-again Christian
c. Baptist
d. Others:_______ (please specify)
2. How long have you been a Catholic before you converted?
a. 10-20 years
b. 21-30 years
c. 31-40 years
d. 41-50 years or more…
3. What is your perception about Roman Catholic priests before you broke away with Catholicism?
a. They are good examples/role models for all Christians.
b. They are merely people who are consecrated to God through rituals.
c. They are hypocrites & pretenders who try to act reserved and good in front of people.
d. They are like me, I see them as an equal.
4. What is your perception about Roman Catholic priests after you heard that one of them had been accused of sexual harassment?
a. I think it was just a mistake, some false accusations made by whoever wants to ruin their names.
b. So I was right, they are hypocrites!
c. Nothing really changed, I see them as ordinary males who have their own desire of the flesh (like any other normal person)
d. Others: _______________________________________ (please explain)
5. What do you think of Roman Catholic Priests involved in sexual scandals?
a. Disgusted! They are supposedly some good role model for the people!
b. Pitiful! They are involved in a crime they did not commit.
c. Doubtful! No way, did they really commit those things?
d. Steadfast to the Faith! They didn’t do it!!!
6. What is the reason why you transferred to another religion?
a. The other religion points outs teachings which are more agreeable and sensible than that of the Roman Catholic’s teachings.
b. I had lost my faith in any of their teachings because of the way the religious leaders act opposed to their own doctrines.
c. The other religion offered me a better way of obtaining salvation.
d. Others: ___________________________________________ (please explain)
* Thank you for participating in our survey! We truly value your cooperation!!! Have a nice day!

Nyril
Scholar

Post #11

Post by Nyril »

ok, if you read your first apragraph again, you will find that your arguement is illogical.
In what sense? Be more specific please.

We're getting somewhere now.
There were 236,000 people in jail for sexual offenses in 2000
First, you did exactly what I said people are doing with statistics. It's wonderful that 236,000 people are in jail for sexual offenses, but I'm mostly interested in a very specific branch of sexual offenses. How many of these offenses are relevant?
Mathematically, more than 99.5 percent of the priesthood remains untainted by this scandal.
Okay. How many priests are there? How many churches are you including? Just catholic churches, or are we counting every priest in this country by including pagan ones and the sort? And as a general overview to your entire post, from where did you get this information?

Nyril
Scholar

Post #12

Post by Nyril »

There were 236,000 people in jail for sexual offenses in 2000 (38 of them were Catholic priests). The largest group offenders are relatives of the children.

Mathematically, more than 99.5 percent of the priesthood remains untainted by this scandal.
Here's another point that didn't occur to me just now as I returned to post a statistic that I found myself. Who cares how many people are in jail for the offense? The church moves the priests to other countries, a number of priests have died since the abuse occurred, and so forth. Your number picks the smallest segment of the abusing priests, and compares them against another segment, as if that had any meaning at all.

Also, it would be useful to have a link to see where you got it.

Here's the one I found, with a link, and information to support my statement that the church shuffles priests around in order to escape prosecution.
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.c ... BM0AJ1.DTL

My number came out to 150, not 38.
"Secular schools can never be tolerated because such schools have no religious instruction, and a general moral instruction without a religious foundation is built on air...we need believing people."
[Adolf Hitler, April 26, 1933]

fidelis
Student

Post #13

Post by fidelis »

im going to apologise for turning this in to a debate. this was a survey, not a debate so i think we should stop debating it here.

“Of course the Bible seems strange to non-believers. But if you had God’s Holy Spirit you would understand its wisdom.”

Nyril
Scholar

Post #14

Post by Nyril »

im going to apologise for turning this in to a debate. this was a survey, not a debate so i think we should stop debating it here.
You're absolutely correct, this is a bit too far off topic given the first post.

Lets continue this discussion here.
"Secular schools can never be tolerated because such schools have no religious instruction, and a general moral instruction without a religious foundation is built on air...we need believing people."
[Adolf Hitler, April 26, 1933]