Make us Believe in Christ

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

BOgg
Student

Make us Believe in Christ

Post #1

Post by BOgg »

To all Christians, please, make us believe in Christ our Lord and Savior. Not using verses from the bible, nor by saying we just need faith, but by using scientific evidence of his existence and his deeds. This is simple, use your words and not words from the bible to explain and prove Jesus/God's existence.

ChaosBorders
Site Supporter

Re: Make us Believe in Christ

Post #2

Post by ChaosBorders »

BOgg wrote:To all Christians, please, make us believe in Christ our Lord and Savior. Not using verses from the bible, nor by saying we just need faith, but by using scientific evidence of his existence and his deeds. This is simple, use your words and not words from the bible to explain and prove Jesus/God's existence.
Can't. By the very rules of science and history, miracles don't qualify as either. Even if they objectively happened, you can't 'prove' them using those systems.
Unless indicated otherwise what I say is opinion. (Kudos to Zzyzx for this signature).

“Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind.� -Albert Einstein

The most dangerous ideas in a society are not the ones being argued, but the ones that are assumed.
- C.S. Lewis

scottlittlefield17
Site Supporter

Post #3

Post by scottlittlefield17 »

Its not possible. At this point it is your own choice whether you believe. As for later...well I won't preach ;) :whistle:
“Life is really simple as far as I’m concerned. There is no luck, you work hard and study things intently. If you do that for long and hard enough you’re successful.�
"The more well versed in a skill that someone is the luckier they seem to be."

BOgg
Student

Re: Make us Believe in Christ

Post #4

Post by BOgg »

Chaosborders wrote:
BOgg wrote:To all Christians, please, make us believe in Christ our Lord and Savior. Not using verses from the bible, nor by saying we just need faith, but by using scientific evidence of his existence and his deeds. This is simple, use your words and not words from the bible to explain and prove Jesus/God's existence.
Can't. By the very rules of science and history, miracles don't qualify as either. Even if they objectively happened, you can't 'prove' them using those systems.
Many theories have been made linking science and religion that are fairly plausible, for example Zecharia Sitchin who linked ancient Sumerian tablets (the oldest texts found in human history) with Egyptian, Babylonians, Assyrians, Hebrews and now Christians.

BOgg
Student

Post #5

Post by BOgg »

scottlittlefield17 wrote:Its not possible. At this point it is your own choice whether you believe. As for later...well I won't preach ;) :whistle:
If someone told you that there was a man walking on water and bringing people back from the dead, without any proof whatsoever, you would believe him?

bjs
Prodigy

Post #6

Post by bjs »

First, I can’t make you do anything.

Second, there is no such thing as scientific evidence of a historical person. There is historical evidence – for instance what has been written about a person – but it is not scientific evidence in that it cannot be empirical tested.
Understand that you might believe. Believe that you might understand. –Augustine of Hippo

scottlittlefield17
Site Supporter

Post #7

Post by scottlittlefield17 »

If someone told you that there was a man walking on water and bringing people back from the dead, without any proof whatsoever, you would believe him?
Absolutely not
“Life is really simple as far as I’m concerned. There is no luck, you work hard and study things intently. If you do that for long and hard enough you’re successful.�
"The more well versed in a skill that someone is the luckier they seem to be."

bjs
Prodigy

Post #8

Post by bjs »

sorry, repeat post. If anyone can delete this, please do.

Zzyzx
Site Supporter

Post #9

Post by Zzyzx »

bjs wrote:First, I can’t make you do anything.

Second, there is no such thing as scientific evidence of a historical person. There is historical evidence – for instance what has been written about a person – but it is not scientific evidence in that it cannot be empirical tested.
Valid and credible historical evidence is taken from numerous sources. Seldom is a single source accepted without verification -- particularly when the issues involve public displays that should be evident to many writers of the era.

CLAIMS made can be scientifically tested. Do people come back from the grave? Do virgins give birth after being impregnated by supernatural beings? Do people walk on water? Does water magically turn into wine? Do seas part and storms calm on command?

If the response is "no but . . . . goddidit", the burden of proof is upon the claimant.

Those who believe god stories in their favorite book readily dismiss similar god stories in other books -- without reason.
Non-Theist

ANY of the thousands of "gods" proposed, imagined, worshiped, loved, feared, and/or fought over by humans MAY exist -- awaiting verifiable evidence

BOgg
Student

Post #10

Post by BOgg »

bjs wrote:First, I can’t make you do anything.

If you have anything historically accurate about Jesus that is reliable then please do share.