God is love? Really

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Tryit

God is love? Really

Post #1

Post by Tryit »

Other than what your Bible says why do you propose that god is love?

ChaosBorders
Site Supporter

Re: God is love? Really

Post #2

Post by ChaosBorders »

Tryit wrote:Other than what your Bible says why do you propose that god is love?
Probably something along the lines of love often being considered the ultimate form of good, and God being defined as good because there's really no point in believing or worshipping a view of God that is not inherently good.
Unless indicated otherwise what I say is opinion. (Kudos to Zzyzx for this signature).

“Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind.� -Albert Einstein

The most dangerous ideas in a society are not the ones being argued, but the ones that are assumed.
- C.S. Lewis

Clownboat
Savant

Post #3

Post by Clownboat »

Tryit wrote:Other than what your Bible says why do you propose that god is love?
God is love because he gave you free will!

Free will to make the decision to follow him, or burn in a lake of fire for all eternity. How can you not see the love?
You can give a man a fish and he will be fed for a day, or you can teach a man to pray for fish and he will starve to death.

I blame man for codifying those rules into a book which allowed superstitious people to perpetuate a barbaric practice. Rules that must be followed or face an invisible beings wrath. - KenRU

It is sad that in an age of freedom some people are enslaved by the nomads of old. - Marco

If you are unable to demonstrate that what you believe is true and you absolve yourself of the burden of proof, then what is the purpose of your arguments? - brunumb

Misty
Apprentice

Post #4

Post by Misty »

There is nothing loving about the biblical god character, just the opposite, imo.

Crazy Ivan
Sage

Post #5

Post by Crazy Ivan »

As some of us can clearly observe, "God" gets more intangible as we grow in scientific understanding of the Universe. We got to the point of reducing "God" to a feeling, in the past a pretty intangible thing... but these days, even "love" can be addressed biochemically to a great extent... so I advise "God" to pack light, and travel happy. :wave:

Lux
Site Supporter

Post #6

Post by Lux »

I think the biblical god's idea of love is quite similar to that of some murderers. You know, "I loved her but she cheated on me with another man, so I stabbed her", "I love my children, but since they disobeyed me, I'll send Joshua to slay them".
[center]Image

© Divine Insight (Thanks!)[/center]

"There is more room for a god in science than there is for no god in religious faith." -Phil Plate.

Benoni
Banned
Banned

Post #7

Post by Benoni »

Clownboat wrote:

Free will to make the decision to follow him, or burn in a lake of fire for all eternity. How can you not see the love?
Could you give me scriptural reference to freewill? it is not in any Bible I know of. In fact the bible teaces to the contrary.

Misty
Apprentice

Post #8

Post by Misty »

Lucia wrote:I think the biblical god's idea of love is quite similar to that of some murderers. You know, "I loved her but she cheated on me with another man, so I stabbed her", "I love my children, but since they disobeyed me, I'll send Joshua to slay them".
An interesting analogy.

ChaosBorders
Site Supporter

Post #9

Post by ChaosBorders »

Benoni wrote:
Clownboat wrote:

Could you give me scriptural reference to freewill? it is not in any Bible I know of. In fact the bible teaces to the contrary.
He was being sarcastic Benoni. I'm pretty sure.
Unless indicated otherwise what I say is opinion. (Kudos to Zzyzx for this signature).

“Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind.� -Albert Einstein

The most dangerous ideas in a society are not the ones being argued, but the ones that are assumed.
- C.S. Lewis

Crazy Ivan
Sage

Post #10

Post by Crazy Ivan »

Actually, a passage used against the idea of free will, I think supports it:

"God shall send them strong delusion, that they should believe a lie: That they all might be damned." 2 Thessalonians 2:11-12

Notice that this implies a choice is in place, and that the delusion has to be strong enough for people to believe in. So it's not so much that people don't have free will, but that they will be damned regardless.