Catholic Sacraments

Getting to know more about a specific belief

Moderator: Moderators

ByFaithAlone
Student

Catholic Sacraments

Post #1

Post by ByFaithAlone »

I'm a Protestant that only believes in the Sacraments to be...
-Communion (Eucharist)
-Baptism

My church (and many other Protestant churches) use the definition that a Sacrament is...
-instituted by God;
-in which God Himself has joined His Word of promise to the visible element;
-by which He offers, gives and seals the forgiveness of sin earned by Christ.

This definition was provided by Martin Luther and Baptism and Communion easily fall under this definition when looking at Scripture

As I understand it the Catholic Church has 7 Sacraments which are defined as "efficacious signs of grace, instituted by Christ and entrusted to the Church, by which divine life is dispensed to us" (Wiki, Sacraments of the Catholic Church)

I was just wondering how Catholics support the claim that "divine life is dispensed to us" through the following...

-Penance (Confession)
-Confirmation (Chrismation)
-Matrimony (Marriage)
-Anointing of the Sick (known prior to Vatican II as Extreme Unction (or more literally from Latin: Last Anointing); informally, the "Last Rites")
-Holy Orders (Ordination)

P.S. Please forgive my inadequate knowledge of all the additional books in a Catholic Bible as compared to NIV (Which follows the books of the Bible as determined by the Westminster Confession of Faith)
Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see. This is what the ancients were commended for.
Hebrews 11:1-2

Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give a reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect.
1 Peter 3:15

Test everything. Hold on to the good.
1 Thessalonians 5:21

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Re: Catholic Sacraments

Post #2

Post by McCulloch »

ByFaithAlone wrote: I was just wondering how Catholics support the claim that "divine life is dispensed to us" through the following...

-Penance (Confession)
James 5:16
Therefore, confess your sins to one another, and pray for one another so that you may be healed The effective prayer of a righteous man can accomplish much.
1 John 1:9
If we confess our sins, He is faithful and righteous to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.
ByFaithAlone wrote: -Anointing of the Sick (known prior to Vatican II as Extreme Unction (or more literally from Latin: Last Anointing); informally, the "Last Rites")
James 5:14-15
Is anyone among you sick? Then he must call for the elders of the church and they are to pray over him, anointing him with oil in the name of the Lord; and the prayer offered in faith will restore the one who is sick, and the Lord will raise him up, and if he has committed sins, they will be forgiven him.
Examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
First Epistle to the Church of the Thessalonians
The truth will make you free.
Gospel of John

ByFaithAlone
Student

Post #3

Post by ByFaithAlone »

I don't understand how "divine life" is dispensed to us through this. Forgiveness of sins is offered certainly and they were instituted by Christ. With this I have no problem. However, I still don't get how these verses support the "divine life" aspect.
Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see. This is what the ancients were commended for.

Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give a reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect.

Joshua Patrick
Apprentice

Post #4

Post by Joshua Patrick »

I think it's best to actual check a Catholic Apologetics site about the 7 sacraments.

http://www.catholicapologetics.info/the ... /index.htm

ByFaithAlone
Student

Post #5

Post by ByFaithAlone »

Thanks for the advice and web address

Joshua Patrick
Apprentice

Post #6

Post by Joshua Patrick »

Thanks for the advice and web address
Was it useful my friend, how did you find it?

Also do you now understand why Catholics believe in 7 sacraments?

God Bless

Cedar Tree
Student

Re: Catholic Sacraments

Post #7

Post by Cedar Tree »

ByFaithAlone wrote:I'm a Protestant that only believes in the Sacraments to be...
-Communion (Eucharist)
-Baptism

My church (and many other Protestant churches) use the definition that a Sacrament is...
-instituted by God;
-in which God Himself has joined His Word of promise to the visible element;
-by which He offers, gives and seals the forgiveness of sin earned by Christ.

This definition was provided by Martin Luther and Baptism and Communion easily fall under this definition when looking at Scripture

As I understand it the Catholic Church has 7 Sacraments which are defined as "efficacious signs of grace, instituted by Christ and entrusted to the Church, by which divine life is dispensed to us" (Wiki, Sacraments of the Catholic Church)

I was just wondering how Catholics support the claim that "divine life is dispensed to us" through the following...

-Penance (Confession)
-Confirmation (Chrismation)
-Matrimony (Marriage)
-Anointing of the Sick (known prior to Vatican II as Extreme Unction (or more literally from Latin: Last Anointing); informally, the "Last Rites")
-Holy Orders (Ordination)

P.S. Please forgive my inadequate knowledge of all the additional books in a Catholic Bible as compared to NIV (Which follows the books of the Bible as determined by the Westminster Confession of Faith)
Sacraments are not a principal cause of grace but an instrumental cause of grace instituted by Jesus to bestow actual/real Divine grace.

"n virtue of their Divine institution, they cause that grace in the souls of men. . . . 'An outward sign of inward grace, a sacred and mysterious sign or ceremony, ordained by Christ, by which grace is conveyed to our souls.' . . . Sacraments do not naturally signify grace; they do so because they have been chosen by God to signify mysterious effects."
http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/13295a.htm

bautista426

Post #8

Post by bautista426 »

what is the point of the seven sacraments

Lemonboo
Student

Post #9

Post by Lemonboo »

We support that claim through our lovely and beautiful Magisterium and Sacred Tradition. "Scripture alone" sounds good but notice how all the Protestant denominations who claim this have split into hundreds of different factions? :shock:
bautista426 wrote:what is the point of the seven sacraments
Baptism--to remove sin (original and personal) as well as its temporal punishment, to initiate you into the Church (and allow you to partake in the other sacraments), and infuses us with sanctifying grace.
Penance/Confession--To seek God's forgiveness and to allow God into our hearts once more after mortal sin.
Holy Communion--Wow...to follow Christ's own teachings, to preserve us from mortal sin, to increase sanctifying grace in our souls and come into union with Christ...
Confirmation--Seals us to the Holy Spirit and the Holy Spirit's Seven Gifts
Holy Matrimony--To create a contract between man and woman that they may form a marriage, til death to they part.
Holy Orders--Allows men to become priests and are given the power to act in sacramental identification with Christ and administer the sacraments (only Bishop can give Confirmation though).
Last Rites--to remove your sins before you die (or shortly after), basically, also helps to remove some of the temporal punishment. Prepares your soul for purgatory basically.

Slopeshoulder
Banned
Banned

Post #10

Post by Slopeshoulder »

Lemonboo wrote:We support that claim through our lovely and beautiful Magisterium and Sacred Tradition. "Scripture alone" sounds good but notice how all the Protestant denominations who claim this have split into hundreds of different factions? :shock:
bautista426 wrote:what is the point of the seven sacraments
Baptism--to remove sin (original and personal) as well as its temporal punishment, to initiate you into the Church (and allow you to partake in the other sacraments), and infuses us with sanctifying grace.
Penance/Confession--To seek God's forgiveness and to allow God into our hearts once more after mortal sin.
Holy Communion--Wow...to follow Christ's own teachings, to preserve us from mortal sin, to increase sanctifying grace in our souls and come into union with Christ...
Confirmation--Seals us to the Holy Spirit and the Holy Spirit's Seven Gifts
Holy Matrimony--To create a contract between man and woman that they may form a marriage, til death to they part.
Holy Orders--Allows men to become priests and are given the power to act in sacramental identification with Christ and administer the sacraments (only Bishop can give Confirmation though).
Last Rites--to remove your sins before you die (or shortly after), basically, also helps to remove some of the temporal punishment. Prepares your soul for purgatory basically.
Assuming these are metaphors or mystically understood.