What is the definition of "law" in the NT

One-on-one debates

Moderator: Moderators

scottlittlefield17
Site Supporter

What is the definition of "law" in the NT

Post #1

Post by scottlittlefield17 »

In the topic I posted on the head covering Benoni and me disagreed on what "law" was. You can find the disagreement here. I did not press him to hard because I did not want to get off topic.

Here are my ideas Benoni:
1. The Bible is considered completely inherent with all parts having equal worth.
2. Each challege of the apposing post must be answered even if it is to say that you have no answer at the moment
3. That it is understood that neither of us have hard feelings toward the other.

If have anything to add please do. If not then just state your agreement with the above and I outline my first set of arguments.
“Life is really simple as far as I’m concerned. There is no luck, you work hard and study things intently. If you do that for long and hard enough you’re successful.�
"The more well versed in a skill that someone is the luckier they seem to be."

Benoni
Banned
Banned

Post #11

Post by Benoni »

scottlittlefield17 wrote:
I have one commandment and that is to love God and love my fellow man as my self.
Really, you have ONE commandment? Last i checked that was the GREATEST commandment not the only one. If Jesus didn't mean it why did he say to turn the other cheek? To love your enemies WITHOUT any exceptions. Why are all those things in the Bible? Why are the lists of sins
Gal 5:19 Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are these; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness,
Gal 5:20 Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies,
Gal 5:21 Envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told you in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God.
and that is not he only such list. There is one in Revelation and one in Romans. It says in Revelation that the people in such sins WILL NOT got to heaven. Jesus says if you love me you will obey me. He also says that those who don't love him don't inherit the kingdom of heaven. So if you don't obey him you don't go to heaven.
Why because there are sons of God and there are servants. Servant need the law for they do not Know Him.

"Many will say to Me in that day, Lord, Lord,... and then will I profess unto them, I never knew you." (Matt. 7:22-23). Know-- the Greek word is "ginosko" meaning: to know by experience. To have an intimate understanding and knowledge of another, based upon experience with them. When you have a deep communion with one, sharing the secrets of their heart, you come to know the nature and character of a person. This is far more than merely sharing surface opinions, like "it's a nice day," or, "looks like it might rain," "let's go for a cup of coffee and chat a bit." That's not coming to KNOW a person. But when you walk with them through deep trials, share their grief and joy, and become vulnerable because you are openly exposing your inner self to them-- then you get to really know someone.

When you KNOW HIM by experience, in the intimate knowledge of His love, of His grace, of His mercy, and He reveals to you an understanding of His plan and purpose, then other people can impute to Him all sorts of strange ideas of what "God is like," with doctrines that deny Him as He truly IS, and you can simply say to them, "You do not KNOW Him! He is nothing like you say. You charge Him with false motives and gross distortions of His character."

When there is nothing in common, no intelligent appreciation for the same things, no mutual understanding of things, then we are AS FOREIGNERS, of a different breed, a species that they cannot relate to, and they will look at you, and simply say, "I don't know you." You are a stranger.

Certainly HIS NATURE is foreign to the world, and as it becomes our nature also, we are to them as "pilgrims and strangers." But, John writes, "Now are we the sons (Greek, children) of God, and it does not yet appear what we shall be. It is not yet made manifest! This WHAT suggests something unspeakable, contained in the likeness of God. There are marvels in Him which are yet to be revealed, beyond all we can ask or think. "We don't know what we shall become in the future. We only know that, IF REALITY WERE TO BREAK THROUGH, we should reflect His likeness, for we should see Him as He really is!" (Phillips translation).
Ah, no man can tell you today the real WHAT-- what we shall be. There are various speculations-- where revelation ends, speculations begin-- but the mind of man cannot conceive THE WHAT of God. He is so ALL GOD, and we are yet so human, that except for the small glimpses He gives of Himself to us, we do not know what we shall become. But this much we do know, BECAUSE WE ARE HIS CHILDREN, WE SHALL BE LIKE HIM. And when reality breaks through, "Then shall I know even as also I am known." (1 Cor. 13:12).

scottlittlefield17
Site Supporter

Post #12

Why because there are sons of God and there are servants. Servant need the law for they do not Know Him.
So are you saying that somebody who doesn't Know him will get to heaven if they don't do those things? I think not! I want you to explain to me how you interpret the NT commands as the same as the OT law? What makes you believe that when the NT says to do something or not to do something if you obey it you are under the law?
“Life is really simple as far as I’m concerned. There is no luck, you work hard and study things intently. If you do that for long and hard enough you’re successful.�

Benoni
Banned
Banned

Post #13

Post by Benoni »

So are you saying that somebody who doesn't Know him will get to heaven if they don't do those things? I think not! I want you to explain to me how you interpret the NT commands as the same as the OT law? What makes you believe that when the NT says to do something or not to do something if you obey it you are under the law?

Besides all will"know him".

Jeremiah 31:34
And they shall teach no more every man his neighbour, and every man his brother, saying, Know the LORD: for they shall all know me, from the least of them unto the greatest of them, saith the LORD: for I will forgive their iniquity, and I will remember their sin no more.

The vast majority of believers today do not "know" him. They know His acts but not His ways.

Psalm 103:7
He made known his ways unto Moses, his acts unto the children of Israel.

Moses knew God face to face; not like the children of Israel who knew only God’s acts. The blind lead the blind in religion today; they know only the acts…

David was king; He was God’s anointed King; not like Saul who was also anointed by God; but chosen by the people; like many ministries in the church (little c) realm today. David was one of those special people God called, anointed and was anointed as child. Today’s ministry is chosen by men. I have found men of God that I know anointed by the deepness of their understanding not because they have been voted in or out by some dead church committee. David walked for many years and knew He had an anointing; but he kept it to himself and understood that Saul was God’s anointed; that is until the appointed time. I think we are better off to wait for God to anoint God’s chosen vessel then to anoint our own. Also let us not forget Solomon who was also anointed of God; but because of his marred and turning his heart to false idols he became corrupt. Reminds me of all the different religions out there that man has married into; there is only one way; Christ with in.

scottlittlefield17
Site Supporter

Post #14

I think it best to repeat myself. I want you to explain to me how you interpret the NT commands as the same as the OT law? What makes you believe that when the NT says to do something or not to do something if you obey it you are under the law?

Benoni
Banned
Banned

Post #15

Post by Benoni »

scottlittlefield17 wrote:I think it best to repeat myself. I want you to explain to me how you interpret the NT commands as the same as the OT law? What makes you believe that when the NT says to do something or not to do something if you obey it you are under the law?
What you are missing is I do do commandments; because they are in my spirit not my head. You are approaching this as law; I see it as life.

2 Corinthians 3: 2Ye are our epistle written in our hearts, known and read of all men:

scottlittlefield17
Site Supporter

Post #16

Benoni wrote:
scottlittlefield17 wrote:I think it best to repeat myself. I want you to explain to me how you interpret the NT commands as the same as the OT law? What makes you believe that when the NT says to do something or not to do something if you obey it you are under the law?
What you are missing is I do do commandments; because they are in my spirit not my head. You are approaching this as law; I see it as life.

2 Corinthians 3: 2Ye are our epistle written in our hearts, known and read of all men:
You have made it clear that if you require obedience it falls under that category of law. I am asking you to show me why you feel that way.

Benoni
Banned
Banned

Post #17

Post by Benoni »

Benoni wrote:

You have made it clear that if you require obedience it falls under that category of law. I am asking you to show me why you feel that way.
Obedience to what? Where God's Spirit leads and guides me, or obedience to the letter that killeth?

scottlittlefield17
Site Supporter

Post #18

I think it best to repeat myself. I want you to explain to me how you interpret the NT commands as the same as the OT law? What makes you believe that when the NT says to do something or not to do something if you obey it you are under the law?

Obedience to what? Where God's Spirit leads and guides me, or obedience to the letter that killeth?
The Bible is God breathed it is the living word of God. What evidence do you have that says that God's spirit will tell you to do something or not to do something that the Bible says to do or not to do?

Benoni
Banned
Banned

Post #19

Post by Benoni »

The Bible is God breathed it is the living word of God. What evidence do you have that says that God's spirit will tell you to do something or not to do something that the Bible says to do or not to do?
No the Bible is not God's breath His living Word by it self it is the letter that killeth. The Word of God is not the Bible, but instead the Holy Spirit revealing the living Word thought the Bible. Without the Holy Spirit to lead and guide us into all truth the Bible is nothing but a book, a letter that killeth.

So if your Word of God comes

The apostle Paul, speaking of the whole armor of God, admonishes the
saints to "put on…the sword of the Spirit, WHICH IS THE WORD OF GOD"
(Eph. 6:17). Then the writer to the Hebrews declares that the sword of
God’s word is "QUICK." Quick means living and active — LIFE-GIVING!

"For the word of God that speaks is alive and full of power — making it
active, operative, energizing and effective; it is sharper than any
two-edged sword" (Heb. 4:12, Amplified).

Ah, yes, here is the sword that conquers the death in us and GIVES LIFE! As it is written, "It is the spirit that quickeneth; the flesh profiteth nothing…for the letterkilleth, but the spirit giveth life!" (Jn. 6:63; II Cor. 3:6). The sword of the Spirit is the quickening, energizing, life-giving WORD OF GOD! I shall not hesitate to explain to you, , that there are two aspects of the word of God. Jesus Christ is the Word — the Logos —

THE LIVING, CREATIVE WORD! But there is also that word which Paul calls "the letter." The letter is the outer hull, the record and history, the laws
and commandments, the rules and regulations, the types, shadows and
figures, the external ordinances, rituals, ceremonies, and feasts; the
visible form of the word which tells us, in terms understandable by the
natural mind, many things about the Living Word, Jesus Christ.
Christ is the Word, the Living Word, and IN HIM IS LIFE!

It should be clear to any thinking mind that the law given by Moses was a word from God. Many, many scriptures confirm that it was the very Lord Himself who spoke to Moses giving him the laws, commandments, judgments, and ordinances. Therefore it is called "the law of the Lord." Yet Paul, in speaking of this word from God, calls it "the ministration of death, written and engraven in stones." Then he further designates it "the
ministration of condemnation." You, see, the law could only condemn! The only way the law could give life was if one perfectly kept it, but for every broken law there was a penalty. And no one was ever able to keep it! "For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God." Therefore the law with all of its commandments, ceremonies, rituals, sacrifices, and observances is a dead word, it is form without essence, law withoutlife, shadow without substance, chaff without kernel, it is the letter that killeth! It is "a word" about "The Word" and therefore shuts men up unto the dominion of death. It should not be difficult to understand that as Jesus Christ is the Living Word of God, the sword of the Spirit that quickens, so is the Letter of the Word a deadly sword, killing rather than quickening. Ah, two words and two swords! The flaming sword of the Cherubim is the word of the law which is a ministration of condemnation and death. It keeps men out of Eden, away from the tree of life! But the sword out of the mouth of God’s Christ is a living sword that excellent in glory as the ministration of Life!

There is a problem with religious man approach to the truth; and I am just as guilty we all have our bias and want people to see it my way. Let “The Spirit of Truth�, reveal too me not; the 10,000 voices of Babylon who all have a different understanding.

1 John 2:27
But the anointing which ye have received of him abideth in you, and ye need not that any man teach you: but as the same anointing teacheth you of all things, and is truth, and is no lie, and even as it hath taught you, ye shall abide in him.

Benoni
Banned
Banned

Post #20

Post by Benoni »

Sorry got side tracked. So if your Word of God comes from some religious system of man; that is not the Holy Spirit.