Getting to know more about a specific belief

Moderator: Moderators

Jagella
Banned
Banned

The "Born-Again Christian" Experience

Post #1

Post by Jagella »

I have some questions about how people become converts to evangelical or fundamentalist Christianity. My questions include but are not limited to the following:
  • When did you have your conversion experience?
    What was your world-view prior to conversion (atheism, Roman Catholicism, mainstream Protestant, non-Christian religion, etc.)?
    Did you hear anything on radio, read anything or watch anything on TV or video that influenced your decision to convert?
    Did any people you know encourage you to convert?
    Did you have any experiences that led you to become born-again?
    Were you eager to convert, or did you have some misgivings?
    After you converted, were your experiences as a Christian all positive, or did you have some negative experiences?
    Would you say that Christianity has improved the quality of life? What did you gain, and did you have any losses?
    Do you ever have doubts about fundamental Christian claims, or are you certain that it's all true?
    Do you share your conversion experience with others hoping they will follow your example?
Thanks!

Jagella

melissa
Student

Born agan experiences

Post #11

Post by melissa »

I would like to share, not defend, what happened to me that caused me to consider myself a "born again Christian."

By nature I'm a "prove it to me" type person. I was reared in a church-going family. At age 14 I had a deal with God: I would be so good, that, if he existed, he would be in the wrong if he forbid me heaven. I babysat at 50 cents an hour, earning between 50 and 100 dollars a month and gave most of it to sponsor two children through the Christian Children's Fund. This, I felt, was my ticket to heaven.
As I was sitting on my bed one afternoon, thinking these self-righteous thoughts, it was suddenly as if God entered the room. His presence was so palpable that every other sensation was all but shut out. Without hearing any voices, I received a strong message that impressed me with these facts: I was not a good person, nothing I had ever done warranted God's favor, in fact, all was sin because nothing was done out of love for God. Simultaneously with that was the message that nevertheless God had loved me from eternity, that Christ had died to pay for all of my sins, that God had chosen me to be his. My only reaction was "I believe," and I knew that I had never believed before. I was left with an overwhelming sense of the love of God for me, intense joy and an understanding that all was well, there was nothing to fear. When I went outside later nature appeared brilliant, sharply defined and radiant, and I thought," this is what it looks like all the time, we just don't see it as it is."

This experience left me profoundly changed. Though I have had periods of darkness and doubt since, the unsolicited visit from God has been a mainstay in my life and I am very grateful that he blessed me with the gift of salvation when I had nothing but contempt for him.

Verse like John 6:44, "No one can come to me unless the Father who sent me draws him" have been very real to me because of my experience.

Goat
Site Supporter

Re: Born agan experiences

Post #12

Post by Goat »

melissa wrote:I would like to share, not defend, what happened to me that caused me to consider myself a "born again Christian."

By nature I'm a "prove it to me" type person. I was reared in a church-going family. At age 14 I had a deal with God: I would be so good, that, if he existed, he would be in the wrong if he forbid me heaven. I babysat at 50 cents an hour, earning between 50 and 100 dollars a month and gave most of it to sponsor two children through the Christian Children's Fund. This, I felt, was my ticket to heaven.
As I was sitting on my bed one afternoon, thinking these self-righteous thoughts, it was suddenly as if God entered the room. His presence was so palpable that every other sensation was all but shut out. Without hearing any voices, I received a strong message that impressed me with these facts: I was not a good person, nothing I had ever done warranted God's favor, in fact, all was sin because nothing was done out of love for God. Simultaneously with that was the message that nevertheless God had loved me from eternity, that Christ had died to pay for all of my sins, that God had chosen me to be his. My only reaction was "I believe," and I knew that I had never believed before. I was left with an overwhelming sense of the love of God for me, intense joy and an understanding that all was well, there was nothing to fear. When I went outside later nature appeared brilliant, sharply defined and radiant, and I thought," this is what it looks like all the time, we just don't see it as it is."

This experience left me profoundly changed. Though I have had periods of darkness and doubt since, the unsolicited visit from God has been a mainstay in my life and I am very grateful that he blessed me with the gift of salvation when I had nothing but contempt for him.

Verse like John 6:44, "No one can come to me unless the Father who sent me draws him" have been very real to me because of my experience.
So, let's lay it out there. You were religious enough to be sponsoring children through a Christian charity.
You had a very emotional experience.

You interpreted this experience to be God.

Can you show that this experience was generated by a God, or was it an internally induced emotional response for some reason, and you interpreted it by being from God? Was this rather powerful emotional experience God, or was it just a powerful emotional experience that got interpreted as being God because of confirmation bias?
“What do you think science is? There is nothing magical about science. It is simply a systematic way for carefully and thoroughly observing nature and using consistent logic to evaluate results. So which part of that exactly do you disagree with? Do you disagree with being thorough? Using careful observation? Being systematic? Or using consistent logic?�

Steven Novella

melissa
Student

born again experience

Post #13

Post by melissa »

Those are fair questions, and questions that occured to me as an adult when I was evaluating the meaning of my experience. The reasons why I concluded that it was a God-thing were that I was, as a teen, not given to self-induced emotional reaction, the day of the experience I remember sitting my my bed thinking very nonemotional anti-god thoughts; I have known and known of many others who have had similar experiences of a staying quality which lead to real centeredness and sanity; that the encounter lead to a real and lasting change in my thinking, values and interests, and the intensity of the sense of God I experienced on that day is too much for me to imagine concocting of myself.

These reasons are good enough for me. I can understand why an outsider may question the source.

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Re: Born agan experiences

Post #14

Post by McCulloch »

melissa wrote: By nature I'm a "prove it to me" type person.
Oh, wonderful. So am I.
melissa wrote: I was reared in a church-going family. At age 14 I had a deal with God: I would be so good, that, if he existed, he would be in the wrong if he forbid me heaven. I babysat at 50 cents an hour, earning between 50 and 100 dollars a month and gave most of it to sponsor two children through the Christian Children's Fund. This, I felt, was my ticket to heaven.
Oh wow. That's amazing. During your adolescence, you internalized the message that had been all around you from your church-going family and society which in your previous immaturity you had ignored or misunderstood. It was an epiphany and it made a profound impact on your outlook on life.
melissa wrote: Verse like John 6:44, "No one can come to me unless the Father who sent me draws him" have been very real to me because of my experience.
Lucky you. God has not chosen me apparently. Oh well!
Examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
First Epistle to the Church of the Thessalonians
The truth will make you free.
Gospel of John

OnceConvinced
Savant

Re: The "Born-Again Christian" Experience

Post #15

Post by OnceConvinced »

When did you have your conversion experience?

I was about 7 years old. Can't remember it.

What was your world-view prior to conversion (atheism, Roman Catholicism, mainstream Protestant, non-Christian religion, etc.)?

At that age I was part of a more traditional type of church. Lots of hymns. It was probably an open bretheren or some such.

Did you hear anything on radio, read anything or watch anything on TV or video that influenced your decision to convert?

No.

Parents. Sunday school teachers. I was taught Christianity as truth from the beginning. No other option was given. I say I believe by default, because I knew no better, only what I was taught, just like any kid at the age of seven does. "giving my heart" to God was simply something that was necessary. I did want to do it, I know that much.

No, but later in my teens I believed I had experiences and that led me to rededicated my life to Christ and really "take the bull by the horns" as it were.

Eager. I know that much, but probably doing it more so to please my parents and sunday school teachers.

After you converted, were your experiences as a Christian all positive, or did you have some negative experiences?

I had a couple of negative experiences with bullies at a couple of church camps, but otherwise my experiences in churches were positive. I was given a lot of respect and responsibility, even as a teenager. Most of my fondest childhood memories are church events and activities. Becoming an ex-Christian was never something I wanted as I loved being a Christian, loved the culture and the people.

The system itself most definitely did have a negative effect on me though. See next question.

Would you say that Christianity has improved the quality of life? What did you gain, and did you have any losses?

I would say, looking back that being a Christian had a detrimental effect on me in many ways, particularly with my upbringing and also trusting the bible when it proved to be so unreliable. I wasted a hell of a lot of time, had a lot of negative mindsets and missed out on so many great experiences. If I could live my life again I would choose to have it without the influence of Christianity.

Do you ever have doubts about fundamental Christian claims, or are you certain that it's all true?

I'm an ex-Christian. Does that answer your question?

Do you share your conversion experience with others hoping they will follow your example?

When I was a Christian, I did share my experiences with many people. I was a sunday school teacher and then later a home group leader. I influenced a lot of people.

Society and its morals evolve and will continue to evolve. The bible however remains the same and just requires more and more apologetics and claims of "metaphors" and "symbolism" to justify it.

Prayer is like rubbing an old bottle and hoping that a genie will pop out and grant you three wishes.

There is much about this world that is mind boggling and impressive, but I see no need whatsoever to put it down to magical super powered beings.

Check out my website: Recker's World

riverslivnwtr
Under Probation

Post #16

Post by riverslivnwtr »

Jagella wrote:I have some questions about how people become converts to evangelical or fundamentalist Christianity. My questions include but are not limited to the following:
    My most profound experience came when I was 24; I was in a UPC

I was brought up in the Methodist Church; I rejected Church when My grandmother died, I was 13. I blamed it on God who at that time was an imaginary figure to me..

I think one day as I was passing through the living room hearing Billy Graham say you must be born again. and I asked myself was I.. Also I read Hal Lindsey's "Late Great Planet Earth" But it was my firstborn son's birth that moved me the most..

Yes.. He was a new Worker on my job..a little more about him later.

The initial experience was the result of a Colombian marijuana high! I re3member it to this day..I smoked some Colombian in a Pipe. A really great hit was so strong that I knew that I was too high to enjoy and thought I would be to sick to function. So I decided to go to sleep. Almost immediately when I laid down I instantly got on my knees and started Crying out, "Thank you Lord Jesus for my salvation." I had no control over my body, fear gripped me like never before, I was terrified as the image of a fierce and angry face appeared to me with great locks of white hair , and with eyes of fire; terror gripped my heart and my thought was to never touch that stuff again. my whole body was filled with fear not just my heart; I tried to avoid seeing the face; I looked to the right or left I closed my eyes..still I could see him...this subsided and started again , it took all my might , and strength to stop it.. as I was resisting all the time..I discussed this with everybody at work and we just thought it was just a high.. this was 1975. months before I married.

After you converted, were your experiences as a Christian all positive, or did you have some negative experiences? After I converted in 1978, we all went to war..me and my family and wife's family . I was methodist married a baptist and was converted into Pentecostalism by the experience I shall now share....
    At the birth of my son in the delivery room I has profound sadness when he came out; I believe that drove me to reading the bible..I bought a living new testament and the bible became clear and easy to read..After have read it I switched back to the King James, I would read it at work when i got ahead of my tasks i would sit and read. This new guy came up one day and asked me had I received the Holy ghost since I believed..I said why I ain't even heard of the Holy Ghost..Anyway upon further explanation I went to his church and did bow down on my knees and ask Jesus to filled me with his Spirit ....and after praising him with all the energy and strength in me , the holy Spirit did flood my entire inner being with his Spirit..I jumped to my feet and shouted Jesus name to the top of my voice.. my lips began to stammer and I did eventually speak with unknown tongues..as i do to this day..

I lost everything.. twice .

I am not your typical fundamentalist...Christianity has made me most liberal ..perhaps because of my sinful past i am so easily and ready to live in the present moment and I am in no position to condemn anyone. Knowing and understanding that Jesus is the only one that can change a person and not themselves..
    I believe that fundamentalists as they are described try to change themselves while all the time acknowledging that they can't because only Jesus can..and that's why they come off the way they do...I believe that the spirit of the Baptists is what pushes the whole thing; and they have help from other conservative forms..

Not very often..
Thanks!

Jagella
:lol:

You're welcome. :lol:

Slopeshoulder
Banned
Banned

Re: born again experience

Post #17

Post by Slopeshoulder »

melissa wrote:Those are fair questions, and questions that occured to me as an adult when I was evaluating the meaning of my experience. The reasons why I concluded that it was a God-thing were that I was, as a teen, not given to self-induced emotional reaction, the day of the experience I remember sitting my my bed thinking very nonemotional anti-god thoughts; I have known and known of many others who have had similar experiences of a staying quality which lead to real centeredness and sanity; that the encounter lead to a real and lasting change in my thinking, values and interests, and the intensity of the sense of God I experienced on that day is too much for me to imagine concocting of myself.

These reasons are good enough for me. I can understand why an outsider may question the source.
I'm aware of all the rationalist criticisms of melissa's account, and I gather she is too. I have some myself. And she and I have different views. However, I must say that i find her account reasonably, honestly, and humbly presented, and consistent with what many sages have described (presence, unexpected, the other, clarity, transformation, new awareness). The details can be quibbled over, and one can reject her interpretation and her god. But I think she gets credit for the manner of her interpretation and presentation (compare it to that of many others), and shouldn't be piled on. I find it a model of reasonableness, if not rationalism, and that's fine with me. I always try to approach these accounts with respect.
My real concern kicks in only when people who claim these experiences incline toward literalist and fundamentalist options; I find those so toxic that I refuse to associate them with God, if God exists.

riverslivnwtr
Under Probation

Post #18

Post by riverslivnwtr »

Jagella wrote:I have some questions about how people become converts to evangelical or fundamentalist Christianity. My questions include but are not limited to the following:

Thanks!

Jagella

My Experience came in two Parts...,,I always thought of myself as a Christian.I was a Methodist ..I had read the 4 gospels a age 12. could not understand any other parts of the bible so I set it down..

My first experience was incredibly terrifying... I had smoked some Colombian Pot in a tobacco pipe while alone in a shared apartment...I knew I was too high immediately and decided to go to bed, because I couldn't even comprehend what was on tv. :lol:
Suddenly a fierce face with eyes of fire and great locks of white hair approached my face; whether my eyes were opened or closed I could see it..unbelievable fear gripped my heart and I knew it would have to be God..I resisted but could not stop worshipping him with my mouth, saying , "thank you Lord Jesus for my salvation," using all of my strength to try and resist all the time while being locked on my knees repeating that chant. My mind was saying, I'll never ouch that stuff again. His countenance was so enraged that I was incredibly terrified...yet no harm came to me...

I was engaged and this was in the months leading up to that marriage..I asked everyone about it but no one had any similar experiences....

I was compelled to start reading the bible after my first born was born... I had picked up a living bible NT for a dollar at a department store..It was an easy and interesting read..and soon I picked up the King James again..I was reading the new testament one day at work, when a net employee approached and asked me had I received the Holy Ghost ....

having read these new testaments at least twice, I had no idea what he was talking about...but he showed me and there it was right in the bible, and it was as thought I had seen those verses for the first time..Any way he invited me to come to his Church, having put down Catholicism and every other denomination except Pentecostal I was ablidged to go.... I went and on the second attempt at prayer I received the Holy Ghost having been baptized in Jesus name, previously; Baptism in Jesus name is prerequisite o being filled..But my experience told me it was not a work of the flesh but a gift....i have never pushed water baptism in Jesus name because of this...

Receiving he Holy Ghost is a labor that falls short; and after you have spent your strength , then God in mercy fills your spirit with His,,, so that you will always know that it is a gift of his goodness and not an earned experience....

This is the problem with evangelicalism even though they preach the gift of grace they turn right around and make it as though it was an earned experience..

This is the most confounding thing about God. it is a gift and it cannot ever be earned....yet we continue to try to be worthy of Him...

After receiving the Holy Ghost I knew without question that the gospel of Christ is true....but I also understand that there be few that be saved..Oh how I wish it were different..

Xian Pugilist

Post #19

Post by Xian Pugilist »

When did you have your conversion experience?
Conversion experience, as in some big emotional, heart warming, harps playing, automatically led by God....? That's a fabrication. it's only existed since about 150 years ago. The Church from the time of the Apostles, to then, never considered it to be that way.

However I was 9ish.

To be honest, I was 9ish. My world view was more play, less church.

To describe it, I DID feel that "chest tickling" and compulsion. I'll admit to that. You decide what it was. I was a pretty bright kid, so I wasn't without faculties and brain washed. But, no, nothing on the radio/tv/etc led to the decision, although I will admit to enjoying hearing billy Grahm preach. Now, with my beliefs today, people would pose a wth?

There was absolutely no one to push me to it. Nor encourage me. In fact, they tried to hold me back, both parent, and pastor.

I hate the term born again, it's so abused today. :| My mother had been dead 3 yearsish?, I had no conscious awareness of that influencing me though.

No, I was pretty convinced and comfortable with that calling.

Istill have negative experiences. God isn't santa claus at a drive through window to make our lives easier. It's through the negatives we grow and mature.

Would you say that Christianity has improved the quality of life?
No clue, I've only the one life to witness. It's been a life, worse or better quality there is nothing to compare it to.

What did you gain, and did you have any losses?
The question is odd. I have no question what you are trying to learn here. I'm lost. My allowance didn't get any bigger.

I'm a heretic. And a self proclaimed Xian Agnostic. Which any honest "believer" would claim as well. My beliefs are very much against most fundamental Xians. But there is a big picture and details, and usually they are close among the variables. But, I'm distinctively a problem for them all. It's sorta lonely sometimes.

What experience. It's a commitment. Being XIAN is a job not a title. Biblically speaking everyone I know, abuses the word Born Again and makes a claim they dn't YET live up to, and may not if they think they are there.

Slopeshoulder
Banned
Banned

Post #20

Post by Slopeshoulder »

Xian Pugilist wrote: I'm a heretic. And a self proclaimed Xian Agnostic. Which any honest "believer" would claim as well. My beliefs are very much against most fundamental Xians. But there is a big picture and details, and usually they are close among the variables. But, I'm distinctively a problem for them all. It's sorta lonely sometimes.

What experience. It's a commitment. Being XIAN is a job not a title. Biblically speaking everyone I know, abuses the word Born Again and makes a claim they dn't YET live up to, and may not if they think they are there.
Well, whaddya know? We pretty much agree.