Fossils and the flood.

Creationism, Evolution, and other science issues

Moderator: Moderators

juliod
Guru

Fossils and the flood.

Post #1

Post by juliod »

OK, since I got nowhere looking into the creationist chronology, let's take a different tack.

One common creation argument is that the fossils were laid down by the flood. In fact this used to be the common scientific explanation (until someone looked into it). The sediments with fossils were called the diluvium.

So here's the problem. Science says that fossilisation takes some time. I confess not knowing anything about mineralization processes. Some may very well be fast (I'm thinking of plaster and concrete).

But creationism says they should all be very fast. The fossils were laid down at the flood, followed by a year of submersion. Thereafter, many were brought to or near the surface when the flood receded. So whatever process caused the fossilisation, it is completed in at most 2 years.

So why haven't creation scientists shown how these processes work? It should be fairly trivial to place a dead animal in a simulant of the diluvium and subject it to pressure (or whatever) and show how you come out with a real fossile after 18 months or so.

DanZ

YEC
Sage

Post #21

Post by YEC »

Jose, get over it....I've been posting for years. Do I need to write something new each time i poist?????

I'll keep posting in the from the original archive untill it is answered.

Just for the record, so far you have not answered the questions.

USIncognito
Apprentice

Post #22

Post by USIncognito »

YEC wrote:At times the flood waters covered an area...only later to be uncovered then covered again. It is during this uncovered period that the dinos walked around. So What.

I'm always curious as to which verse in the Flood Narrative would be used to support such ad hockery, much less the scientific evidence.
YEC wrote:Why not? One might expect the sea creatures to die first. If what you are saying is true what's wrong with that particular order?
Tiny rabbits are never found in the same strata as giant T-rex's. Otters are never found in the same strata as Trilobites, Sea Scorpions, armored fish or Icthyosaurs. Grass pollen is never found in the same strata as extinct lobe finned tetrapods like Eusthenopteron. No amount of wild ad hockery can cram to the Flood into a geologic column shaped box.
YEC wrote:What makes you think those horrid human fossils are not post flood?
For one thing, not enough time has passed since the supposed flood date for human bones to have mineralized into proper "fossils."* Therefore any human fossils must predate the flood, and a by a long time for that matter.

* All artifacts of the past including bones, feces, footprints etc. are fossils, I'm specifically referring to where the calcium content of bones has been leeched and replaced with othe rocky minerals.

YEC
Sage

Post #23

Post by YEC »

USIncognito
Tiny rabbits are never found in the same strata as giant T-rex's. Otters are never found in the same strata as Trilobites, Sea Scorpions, armored fish or Icthyosaurs. Grass pollen is never found in the same strata as extinct lobe finned tetrapods like Eusthenopteron. No amount of wild ad hockery can cram to the Flood into a geologic column shaped box.

Gray squirrels are not found with penguins....Giraffes are never found with squids. Eastern Box Turtles are never found with Lions...your point?

micatala
Site Supporter

Post #24

Post by micatala »

COme on YEC. You know very well what the point is. A global flood would not sort the fossils into the layers we find them in. Despite claims that have been made to the contrary, a global flood would have mixed up all the existing species throughout the entire depth of the sediments, perhaps not completely uniformly, but certainly to a great extent.

juliod
Guru

Post #25

Post by juliod »

A global flood would not sort the fossils into the layers we find them in.
Of course, this is another thing that creation "scientists" could prove if it were true. It would be both important and convincing.

They could take a selection of dead animals, mix them together with sediments and water, and show hown they settle out in the correct pattern to explain the geological column.

Would be a simple and direct experiment.

YEC: think about this: why don't the creationists do this experiment? Could it be because it fails? Because they already know that creationism is false?

DanZ

micatala
Site Supporter

Post #26

Post by micatala »

Forgive my faulty memory, but I believe I read a while ago that someone did actually try this and claimed to have been able to reproduce the sorting. Unfortuantely, no one was able to reproduce his results (something like the cold fusion fraud a few years ago, I think). If I run across a reference (or if anyone else does!?) I will bring it back.

Jose
Guru

Post #27

Post by Jose »

YEC wrote:USIncognito

Gray squirrels are not found with penguins....Giraffes are never found with squids. Eastern Box Turtles are never found with Lions...your point?
You're a good dancer, YEC. It's a pity we can't see your feet online.

Maybe you don't get it, though, and think that geographic distribution is the same as temporal distribution. Fossils in different strata cannot be from organisms that lived at the same time, unless your flood idea is true--but you seem to say that it isn't, since you are using my previous argument about sea-going and land-dwelling dinosaurs never being found in the same locations. That is: your statement implies that animals that live in different places must produce fossils in diffferent places--kinda like producing fossils where they lived and died. Therefore, your very own supposition seems imply that the explanation for sea dinosaurs in Kansas and land dinosaurs in Colorado is that these are the places they lived, when Kansas was under water and Colorado was not. No world-wide flood here, I guess.

Of course, you could actually answer the question, and tell us how all these different creatures that got swirled around together in the flood happened to get grouped together by species before settling out and getting buried in sediment.

You could also answer the question about the Morrison and the Chinle, and how the flood accounts for them.

Too much work? Oh well.
Panza llena, corazon contento