Religion in TV, Movies, Books, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

DeBunkem
Banned
Banned

"Knowing" a Mormon/Fundie flick disguised as Sci-F

Post #1

Post by DeBunkem »

While thinly-disguised with sci-fi overtones, this movie includes a "one who comes before" John the baptist disguised as a little girl who hears voices and writes down dates of disasters to come. There is a blatant connection to the "Wheel within a wheel" vision of Ezekiel. Angels who look like albino Mormon missionary zombies. They revert to alien form right before the "Ascension" scene but if you look quick you can see the four visages of the seraphim. Finally, a flaming Armaggedon disguised as a solar flare is followed by the arrival of the "saved" kids on an alien planet along with a tree of life right out of Genesis. There are other planets in he sky nearby...a mormon belief that the elect will be gods over a planet. They are now dressed in white church clothes...very odd for a new garden of Eden. Oh yes...and the space ships look a lot like Mormon temples.

cnorman18

"Knowing" a Mormon/Fundie flick disguised as Sci-F

Post #2

Post by cnorman18 »

Not trying to pick another fight here, but - so what?

If "Knowing" is a covert attempt to propagandize for Mormonism - is that your contention here? - one wonders if Nicolas Cage's newest, "The Sorcerer's Apprentice," is a covert attempt to propagandize for ceremonial magick. Personally, I found the latter picture to be better written, more entertaining, a lot more fun, and just about equal in terms of actual plausibility; that is to say, both are FANTASIES, intended for ENTERTAINMENT, without a trace of actual plausibility in the real world at all. I doubt very much if anyone from the producers on down had anything like Flail's favorite word, "indoctrination," in mind for a nanosecond. I suspect they just wanted to make a lot of money.

If I'm entertained by fantasies about an alien-controlled End of Days, it doesn't mean I'm about to become a religious cultist. It doesn't even mean that that was anyone's intent in making the picture. You want to see guys promoting Mormonism, you'll find them wearing coats and ties and riding bicycles around your town, knocking on doors.

Kuan
Site Supporter

Post #3

Post by Kuan »

This has nothing to do with the mormon religion unless im missung some underlying symbolism.
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."
- Voltaire

Kung may ayaw, may dahilan. Kung may gusto, may paraan.