What does Isl�m mean to you?

To discuss Islam topics and issues

Moderator: Moderators

Pazuzu bin Hanbi
Sage

What does Isl�m mean to you?

Post #1

Post by Pazuzu bin Hanbi »

Hello there folks. When I used to follow Isl�m, I always wanted to know people’s reasons why they turned to this religion, and what made them strong in their faith, what experiences they had. I admired, about the Christian community, their dedication to a living, breathing connection to their saviour.

In Isl�m, I mostly read boring, dry, legalistic, copy & paste type texts which would bang on at length about the necessities of praying, fasting, and suchlike. To which I would reply: “I know. It’s in the qur’�n.� I wanted more personal details, such as when my father told me he turned to the qur’�n for solace and comfort after his father died, and grew more and more religious.

So, I ask you: what does Isl�m mean to you? Personally?

I would also like to ask this of any non–muslims reading this as well: you may hear about muslims in the news, know a few people who have turned to Isl�m and whatnot, but what does it mean to YOU?
لا إلـــــــــــــــــــــــــــه

EduChris
Prodigy

Re: What does Isl�m mean to you?

Post #61

Post by EduChris »

cnorman18 wrote:...Take a look at the "Religion" section of your local paper, commonly published on Saturday. If you live in or near a town of any size, there's probably a mosque or Islamic study center around; they often hold "open houses" or similar events, and though they are rightly concerned with security these days, they are generally open and welcoming to those who wish to learn more about their religion, even those with no intention of converting. There are also, and frequently, interfaith conferences or discussions open to the public, where clergy and laypeople of various faiths can interact and have dialogue. Those can take place anywhere - churches, synagogues (mine sponsors such events frequently), even schools.
The problem with these is that they are generally geared for the general public, which usually will not satisfy everyone. Interfaith conferences and discussions generally do not allow sufficient interaction (and often are dominated by a few people at the expense of more evenly distributed participation).

Here's a good option for those who have the time and the money: Clarement Theological School's University Project:
...a consortium that clusters several collaborating graduate schools and centers around a religiously focused University. Our partners will likewise train religious leaders in their respective traditions (Islam, Judaism, Hinduism, Buddhism, etc.).

cnorman18

Post #62

Post by cnorman18 »

EduChris wrote:
cnorman18 wrote:...Take a look at the "Religion" section of your local paper, commonly published on Saturday. If you live in or near a town of any size, there's probably a mosque or Islamic study center around; they often hold "open houses" or similar events, and though they are rightly concerned with security these days, they are generally open and welcoming to those who wish to learn more about their religion, even those with no intention of converting. There are also, and frequently, interfaith conferences or discussions open to the public, where clergy and laypeople of various faiths can interact and have dialogue. Those can take place anywhere - churches, synagogues (mine sponsors such events frequently), even schools.
The problem with these is that they are generally geared for the general public, which usually will not satisfy everyone. Interfaith conferences and discussions generally do not allow sufficient interaction (and often are dominated by a few people at the expense of more evenly distributed participation).
All that's true, but it's a start, and certainly a place to initiate personal contact with people interested in dialogue. Follow up as you wish.

Here's a good option for those who have the time and the money: Clarement Theological School's University Project:
...a consortium that clusters several collaborating graduate schools and centers around a religiously focused University. Our partners will likewise train religious leaders in their respective traditions (Islam, Judaism, Hinduism, Buddhism, etc.).
That sounds good, too, but might be geared a bit more in the opposite direction -- i.e., to academics and those who want to get REALLY deep into the issues. For ordinary folks who are just interested in casual dialogue, it might be a good start to go to an interfaith conference and meet an actual Muslim clergyman, then find time to interact on a one-to-one basis.

good
Banned
Banned

Post #63

Post by good »

1. 1. What is Islam?
The word "Islam" is an Arabic word that means "submitting and surrendering your will to Almighty God". The word "Islam" is the Arabic word that means "submission and surrender your will to God Almighty." The word comes from the same root as the Arabic word "salam", which means peace. The word comes from the same root peace, "the Arabic word," which means peace. Unlike the names used for other religions, such as Buddhism, Hinduism and Christianity, the name for the religion of Islam was both revealed by God and carries a deep spiritual meaning - only by submitting one's will to Almighty God can one obtain true peace both in this life and in the life hereafter. Contrary to the names used for other religions such as Buddhism, Hinduism and Christianity, and a name to the religion of Islam was both revealed by God and carries the meaning deep spiritual - all through the provision of the will of one to God Almighty, one can not obtain true peace both in this life and in the afterlife. Islam teaches that all religions originally had the same essential message - which was to submit whole-heartedly to the will of God and to worship Him and Him alone. Islam teaches that all religions originally had the same basic message - which was to submit wholeheartedly to the will of God and worship him alone. For this reason, Islam is not a new religion but is the same divinely revealed Ultimate Truth that God revealed to all prophets, including Noah, Abraham, Moses and Jesus. For this reason, Islam is not a new religion but is the same divine in the end the truth that God revealed to all prophets, including, Noah and Abraham and Moses and Jesus.

2. 2. Who are Muslims?

The Arabic word "Muslim" literally means "someone who submits to the will of God". The Arabic word "Muslim" literally means "a person who provides to the will of God." The message of Islam is meant for the entire world and anyone who accepts this message becomes a Muslim. Islam is the meaning of a message to the whole world and anyone who accepts this message becomes a Muslim. Some people mistakenly believe that Islam is just a religion for Arabs, but nothing could be further from the truth, since in actuality over 80% of the world's Muslims are not Arabs! Some people mistakenly believe that Islam is a religion only for Arabs, but nothing could be further from the truth, in fact, since more than 80% of the world's Muslims are not Arabs! Even though most Arabs are Muslims, there are Arabs who are Christians, Jews and atheists. Although most Arabs and Muslims, there are Arabs who are Christians, Jews and atheists. If one just takes a look at the various peoples who live in the Muslim World - from Nigeria to Bosnia and from Morocco to Indonesia - it is easy enough to see that Muslims come from all different races, ethnic groups and nationalities. If one takes just look at the various peoples living in the Muslim world - from Nigeria to Bosnia and from Morocco to Indonesia - it is easy to see that Muslims come from all different races, ethnic groups and nationalities. From the very beginning, Islam had a universal message for all people. Since the beginning, Islam was a universal message for all people. This can be seen in the fact that some of the early companions of the Prophet Muhammad were not only Arabs, but also Persians, Africans and Byzantine Romans. This can be seen to be in the fact that some companions in the early of the Prophet Muhammad were not only Arabs, but also Persians, Africans and Byzantine Romans. Being a Muslim entails complete acceptance and active obedience to the revealed will of Almighty God. To be a Muslim entails complete acceptance and obedience to the latest revealed will of God Almighty. A Muslim is a person who freely accepts to base his beliefs, values and faith on the will of Almighty God. Muslim is a person who freely accepts to base beliefs, values and faith on the will of God Almighty. In the past, even though you don't see it as much today, the word "Mohammedans" was often used as a label for Muslims. In the past, even though you do not see it as it is often the case today, the word "Mohammedans" was often used as a label for Muslims. This label is a misnomer and is the result of either willful distortion or sheer ignorance. This label is a misnomer, either as a result of deliberate distortion or sheer ignorance. One of the reasons for the misconception is that Europeans were taught for centuries that Muslims worshipped the Prophet Muhammad in the same way that Christians worship Jesus. One of the causes of misunderstanding is that Europeans were taught for centuries that Muslims worship the Prophet Muhammad in the same way that Jesus Christian worship. This is absolutely not true since a Muslim is not permitted to worship anyone or anything besides Almighty God. This is not true at all, since is not permissible for a Muslim to anyone or anything besides the worship of God Almighty.

3. 3. Who is Allaah?

Very often one will hear the Arabic word "Allaah" being used in regards to Islam. In many cases, one will hear the Arabic word "Allah" is used in regards to Islam. The word "Allaah" is simply the Arabic word for Almighty God, and is the same word used by Arabic speaking Christians and Jews. The word "Allah" is simply the Arabic word for God Almighty, the same word used by Arabic speaking Christians and Jews. If one were to pick up an Arabic translation of the Bible, one would see the word "Allaah" being use where the word "God" is used in English. If one were to pick up an Arabic translation of the Bible, the one that sees the word "Allah" being the use of the word "Allah" was used in the English language. Actually, the Arabic word for Almighty God, "Allaah", is quite similar to the word for God in other Semitic languages - for example, the Hebrew word for God is "Elah". In fact, the Arabic word for God Almighty, "God," is quite similar to the word of God in other Semitic languages - for example, the Hebrew word for God is "God." For various reasons, some non-Muslims mistakenly believe that Muslims worship a different God than the God of Moses and Abraham and Jesus. For various reasons, some of the non-Muslims mistakenly believe that Muslims worship a different God than the God of Abraham and Moses and Jesus. This is certainly not the case, since the Pure Monotheism of Islam calls all people to the worship of the God of Noah, Abraham, Moses, Jesus and all of the other prophets. This is certainly not true, because the pure monotheism of Islam calls all people to worship God, Noah, Abraham, Moses, Jesus and all the other prophets.

Who is Muhammad?

The last and final prophet sent by God to mankind Prophet Muhammad. Seal of the Prophets sent by God to mankind and the Prophet Muhammad. He also explained, and lived interpret the teachings of Islam. He also explained. , Mohammed brought the results of his mission more people to believe in one God. , Before Muhammad was due to damage to their beliefs through the adoption of the prophets and the saints and intercessors with God Almighty. Some religions and the prophets, that the manifestations of God, "God incarnate" or "Son of God." ". All of these misconceptions lead to worship the creature rather than the Creator, which contributed to the exercise of belief, pagan not god approaching through intermediaries.. In order to guard against these falsehoods, the Prophet Muhammad and asserted that he was human always being assigned only with the preaching of the message God.. the lesson that Muslims refer to him as "a messenger of God and his nation." ".

, That Muhammad was sent as a mercy to all mankind. Numbered only a few dozen of his followers, and God Almighty when he learned of it so that Muhammad was sent as a mercy to all mankind. Because people have forgotten or distorted messages from God, and God took it upon himself to protect the message revealed to Muhammad .. This was because Almighty God promised not to send another messenger after him. . Because all human beings God's messengers and the message of Islam - submission to the will of God and any worship of God alone - Muhammad is actually the last prophet of Islam, not the first. Because all human beings God's messengers and the message of Islam - submission to the will of God and any worship of God alone - Muhammad is actually the last prophet of Islam

RightKnowledge999
Banned
Banned

What Is Islam ?

Post #64

Post by RightKnowledge999 »

Ans ; Some Muslims will say , It is the Submission to the will of their God , Allah . However , The word Islaam is taken from the 5th name of their God , Allah , As Salaam meaning The Peace , '' Taken from The Ashuric / Syriac Arabic root word '' Salama , Meaning '' To Have , To Be Peaceful ''; Which Euro-Arab and Muslims greeting '' As Salaamu 'Alaykum , '' Meaning '' Peace Be Upon You , Come from , The word Salaam was derived from The Aramic / Hebrew word Shalom , Meaning '' Peace . ''

What Is A Muslim ?

Ans ; The word Muslim is derived from The Ashuric / Syriac Arabic word Salama meaning '' One Who Is Of Peace ,

B-O-H
Banned
Banned

Post #65

Post by B-O-H »

Pazuzu bin Hanbi wrote:Hello there folks. When I used to follow Isl�m, I always wanted to know people’s reasons why they turned to this religion, and what made them strong in their faith, what experiences they had. I admired, about the Christian community, their dedication to a living, breathing connection to their saviour.

In Isl�m, I mostly read boring, dry, legalistic, copy & paste type texts which would bang on at length about the necessities of praying, fasting, and suchlike. To which I would reply: “I know. It’s in the qur’�n.� I wanted more personal details, such as when my father told me he turned to the qur’�n for solace and comfort after his father died, and grew more and more religious.

I would also like to ask this of any non–muslims reading this as well: you may hear about muslims in the news, know a few people who have turned to Isl�m and whatnot, but what does it mean to YOU?

Islam is the most evil of things to have ever been created. It is the cause (like any sin) of chaos. It is an abomination and perversion of God.

Kuan
Site Supporter

Post #66

Post by Kuan »

B-O-H wrote:
Pazuzu bin Hanbi wrote:Hello there folks. When I used to follow Isl�m, I always wanted to know people’s reasons why they turned to this religion, and what made them strong in their faith, what experiences they had. I admired, about the Christian community, their dedication to a living, breathing connection to their saviour.

Islam is the most evil of things to have ever been created. It is the cause (like any sin) of chaos. It is an abomination and perversion of God.
What makes Islam an abomination and perversion before god?
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."
- Voltaire

Kung may ayaw, may dahilan. Kung may gusto, may paraan.

Murad
Guru

Post #67

Post by Murad »

B-O-H wrote: Islam is the most evil of things to have ever been created. It is the cause (like any sin) of chaos. It is an abomination and perversion of God.
I think ignorance & lack of knowledge is more of an abomination and a perversion of God.
Do the people think that they will be left to say, "We believe" without being put to the test?
We have tested those before them, for GOD must distinguish those who are truthful, and He must expose the liars.

(Quran 29:2-3)

----
Why Jesus is NOT God
---

cnorman18

Post #68

Post by cnorman18 »

Murad wrote:
B-O-H wrote: Islam is the most evil of things to have ever been created. It is the cause (like any sin) of chaos. It is an abomination and perversion of God.
I think ignorance & lack of knowledge is more of an abomination and a perversion of God.
I would agree with that -- especially when ignorance is combined with hatred and the promotion of hatred.

Woland
Sage

Post #69

Post by Woland »

cnorman18 wrote:
Murad wrote:
I would agree with that -- especially when ignorance is combined with hatred and the promotion of hatred.
I agree with this too, and note that several mainstream schools of Islam (that is to say, the Sunni, Wahabi and Shia theologies, among others) promote a particularly vicious sort of hatred, the sort of hatred that can make people support all sorts of sordid deeds including killing others for thought crimes or pelting human beings with stones until they die a horrible death, for example.

Large segments of the Muslim population have been shown to support such things because of their religious beliefs in the religion of Islam. These deeds are among the most hateful ones human beings could ever possibly do to each other.

If there is a personal creator God, I daresay he's probably not too impressed with what his creation is doing "in his name".

-Woland