Why does Hinduism worship 28 million Gods?

Argue for and against religions and philosophies which are not Christian

Moderator: Moderators

Murad
Guru

Why does Hinduism worship 28 million Gods?

Post #1

Post by Murad »

28 million Gods

Thats a rough estimate on how many hindu Gods were created since the dawn of hinduism.

My questions to shubhamgarg1993 & any other hindu's is simple.

1) How can you possibly believe in 28 million Gods. If you dont, does that make you more or less of a hindu?
2) Are they not all images drawn by man? Like Zeus & Thor etc...
3) What logic is there to hinduism that non-hindu's do not understand.

If you could reply with text written personally it would be appreciated.
Do the people think that they will be left to say, "We believe" without being put to the test?
We have tested those before them, for GOD must distinguish those who are truthful, and He must expose the liars.

(Quran 29:2-3)

----
Why Jesus is NOT God
---

Murad
Guru

Post #21

Post by Murad »

EduChris wrote: Are you claiming that Mohammad never had sex with a woman who had been married to Mohammad's adopted son?
If it conflicts with the following verse, then no.
"Prohibited to you (for marriage) are your mothers, daughters, sisters; father's sisters, mother's sisters; brother's daughters, sister's daughters; foster-mothers (who gave you suck), foster-sisters; your wives' mothers; your step-daughters under your guardianship, born of your wives to whom ye have gone in no prohibition if ye have not gone in (those who have been) wives of your sons proceeding from your loins; and two sisters in wedlock at one and the same time, except for what is past for Allah is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful. (The Noble Quran, 4:23)"
Pazuzu bin Hanbi wrote: Interesting request…
Knowledge is a virtue, i like to learn about topics that is used against me in a debate.

shubhamgarg1993 wrote: there was a verse which had description in all islamic books that "sky is vast"
but recenlty mr. Smart changed the word "vast" with "expand" and is yelling out that Quran points at "expanding of universe."
He didnt change it, the arabic words can have different definitions, e.g. the word "set" in english has numerous definitions.
Definitions of set on the Web:
# put: put into a certain place or abstract location; "Put your things here"; "Set the tray down"; "Set the dogs on the scent of the missing children"; "Place emphasis on a certain point"
# determine: fix conclusively or authoritatively; "set the rules"
# specify: decide upon or fix definitely; "fix the variables"; "specify the parameters"
# establish as the highest level or best performance; "set a record"
# fix in a border; "The goldsmith set the diamond"
# fix: make ready or suitable or equip in advance for a particular purpose or for some use, event, etc; "Get the children ready for school!"; "prepare for war"; "I was fixing to leave town after I paid the hotel bill"
# set to a certain position or cause to operate correctly; "set clocks or instruments"
# locate; "The film is set in Africa"
# disappear beyond the horizon; "the sun sets early these days"
# arrange: adapt for performance in a different way; "set this poem to music"
# plant: put or set (seeds, seedlings, or plants) into the ground; "Let's plant flowers in the garden"
# apply or start; "set fire to a building"
# a group of things of the same kind that belong together and are so used; "a set of books"; "a set of golf clubs"; "a set of teeth"
# jell: become gelatinous; "the liquid jelled after we added the enzyme"
# (mathematics) an abstract collection of numbers or symbols; "the set of prime numbers is infinite"
This is also a reason why there is a sunni-shia split within Islam.

I dont know whether he changed the Vedas, i have no knowledge on Sanskrit.
Do the people think that they will be left to say, "We believe" without being put to the test?
We have tested those before them, for GOD must distinguish those who are truthful, and He must expose the liars.

----
Why Jesus is NOT God
---

Pazuzu bin Hanbi
Sage

Post #22

Post by Pazuzu bin Hanbi »

Murad: Surah 33, ayat 37–8:

Remember when you said to him to whom god had been generous, and you had been generous: “Retain your wife, and be pious before god,� all the while hiding within yourself what god was to reveal, and fearing people, though god is more worthy of your fear.

Thus, when Zaid had satisfied his desire for her, we gave her in marriage to you in order that no blame might attach to the believers regarding wives of their adopted children, once they have satisfied their desire for them. God’s command shall be enforced. No blame attaches to the prophet in what god has ordained for him: such has been the precedent of god regarding those who came before.

In other words Muhammad waited until Zaid had consummated his marriage to his wife, then conveniently had a ‘revelation’ from allah that Zaid was to divorce her and Muhammad was to marry her. You know, so people could see that adopted kids aren’t really your own kids.
لا إلـــــــــــــــــــــــــــه

Murad
Guru

Post #23

Post by Murad »

Pazuzu bin Hanbi wrote:Murad: Surah 33, ayat 37–8:

Remember when you said to him to whom god had been generous, and you had been generous: “Retain your wife, and be pious before god,� all the while hiding within yourself what god was to reveal, and fearing people, though god is more worthy of your fear.

Thus, when Zaid had satisfied his desire for her, we gave her in marriage to you in order that no blame might attach to the believers regarding wives of their adopted children, once they have satisfied their desire for them. God’s command shall be enforced. No blame attaches to the prophet in what god has ordained for him: such has been the precedent of god regarding those who came before.

In other words Muhammad waited until Zaid had consummated his marriage to his wife, then conveniently had a ‘revelation’ from allah that Zaid was to divorce her and Muhammad was to marry her. You know, so people could see that adopted kids aren’t really your own kids.
Well thats true, adopted children are technically strangers, and they are not related by blood.
Noble Verses 33:4-5 "Allah has not Made for any man two hearts in his (one) body: nor has He made your wives whom ye divorce by Zihar your mothers: nor has He Made your adopted sons your sons. Such is (only) your (manner of) speech by your mouths. But Allah Tells (you) the Truth, and He Shows the (right) Way."
A few verses later we are informed:
Noble Verse 33:37 "Behold! thou didst say to one who had received the grace of Allah and thy favour: 'Retain thou (in wedlock) thy wife, and fear Allah.' But thou didst hide in thy heart that which Allah was about to make manifest: thou didst fear the people, but it is more fitting that thou shouldst fear Allah. Then Zayd had dissolved (his marriage) with her, with the necessary (formality), we joined her in marriage to thee: In order that (in future) there may be no difficulty to the believers in (the matter) of marriage with the wives of their adopted sons, when the latter have dissolved with the necessary (formality) (their marriage) with them. And Allah's command must be fulfilled."
It also created a precedent which altered the Sharia, its perfectly legal to marry your adopted childs wife, if they divorce ofcourse.

----
Why Jesus is NOT God
---

shubhamgarg1993
Student

Post #24

Post by shubhamgarg1993 »

its perfectly legal to marry your adopted childs wife, if they divorce ofcourse.
i was just thinking though legal was it moral to marry the wife of your son...even though divorced means thinking age difference... :-k

Murad
Guru

Post #25

Post by Murad »

shubhamgarg1993 wrote: i was just thinking though legal was it moral to marry the wife of your son...even though divorced means thinking age difference... :-k
Morally its fine, infact the Prophet also married the wives of 'martyrs'(of Islam), to honor their husbands.

I think krishna sleeping with 16,108 wives is more immoral if you look at it with the same perspective as your looking at Islamic Marriage.

----
Why Jesus is NOT God
---

shubhamgarg1993
Student

my friend !!

Post #26

Post by shubhamgarg1993 »

murad
what i am always telling you is that i dont want to have a debate !!
what i meant by that was what was the situation at the time for which prophet married his adopted son's wife..there might be some specific situation as otherwise its not normal to marry to someone of your children's age.

and about your back comment you gave instead of answering me..
krishna sleeping with 16,108 wives is more immoral if you look at it with the same perspective as your looking at Islamic Marriage
when Krishna saved the 16,000 princesses who were caught up in the prison of Jarasandh (a cruel king) after defeating Jarasandh. then those 16,000 princesses had no place to go as society won't accept them for they were in home of someone for years..and their purity was not guarranted...

so all of those were going to commit suicide or to join the business of wrong women(selling of themselves)... so they prayed Krishna to marry them as none else would accept them..

their Krishna accepts to marry them to save their lives..that is the reason of such no. of wives of Krishna not out of lust he started marrying to complete his desires..

that is what i want you to clear out as always at every site you would have read Krishna had so many wives but you must also read the reason and whole story behind.

EduChris
Prodigy

Post #27

Post by EduChris »

shubhamgarg1993 wrote:...i was just thinking though legal was it moral to marry the wife of your son...even though divorced means thinking age difference... :-k
As you know, the 54-year-old prophet "married" 9-year-old Aisha, so obviously the notion of age difference (or even age of consent, or age of puberty) would not have been one of his top concerns. Most likely when Mohammad married his adopted son's former wife (i.e., his dauther-in-law) she was then at least as old as Aisha.

Slopeshoulder
Banned
Banned

Post #28

Post by Slopeshoulder »

Wow, talk about off topic! From hindu gods to muslim wives. Priceless.

Back on topic:
As I understand it, the reason there are a gazillion gods in hinduism is because there is one god with an infinite (bazillion) number of manifestations that humans relate to, expereience, or identify. Like a diamond with endless facets. being a musician, I relate to the music god, but it's all one god that is and we are.
28 million or whatever just means "a real whole heck of a lot that would melt your brain to think about."
I find that beautiful to think about. And much more interesting than one savior, one prophet, one book, one church, etc, which I find absurd and harmful.

Murad
Guru

Re: my friend !!

Post #29

Post by Murad »

shubhamgarg1993 wrote: what i am always telling you is that i dont want to have a debate !!
Ok, just so you know, this website has the word "Debate" in the URL.

shubhamgarg1993 wrote: Most likely when Mohammad married his adopted son's former wife (i.e., his dauther-in-law) she was then at least as old as Aisha.
Great assumptions, now learn the facts.

Slopeshoulder wrote: Wow, talk about off topic! From hindu gods to muslim wives. Priceless.
Indeed priceless :) Infact read a few more Islamic Debates, "Wives of Muhammad" is 99% of the time the only thing that the non-muslims brings up in a debate (expecially some pro-Christian websites). I dont know whether it shows their insecurities or whether thats how they perceive being "apologetic"
"pedophile, moon god, terrorist" etc.. etc.. :lol:

Slopeshoulder wrote: As I understand it, the reason there are a gazillion gods in hinduism is because there is one god with an infinite (bazillion) number of manifestations that humans relate to, expereience, or identify. Like a diamond with endless facets. being a musician, I relate to the music god, but it's all one god that is and we are.
28 million or whatever just means "a real whole heck of a lot that would melt your brain to think about."
I find that beautiful to think about. And much more interesting than one savior, one prophet, one book, one church, etc, which I find absurd and harmful.
I can understand that in a sense.
But, was there always 33 million Gods?
Obviously no, history shows us that each God was created as time progressed.
So if another hindu God gets created today, does that make it another manifestation of God?

----
Why Jesus is NOT God
---

Slopeshoulder
Banned
Banned

Re: my friend !!

Post #30

Post by Slopeshoulder »

Murad wrote:

Indeed priceless :) Infact read a few more Islamic Debates, "Wives of Muhammad" is 99% of the time the only thing that the non-muslims brings up in a debate (expecially some pro-Christian websites). I dont know whether it shows their insecurities or whether thats how they perceive being "apologetic"
"pedophile, moon god, terrorist" etc.. etc.. :lol:
Wait a minute...Muhammad had wives?!?!? :lol:

Slopeshoulder wrote: As I understand it, the reason there are a gazillion gods in hinduism is because there is one god with an infinite (bazillion) number of manifestations that humans relate to, expereience, or identify. Like a diamond with endless facets. being a musician, I relate to the music god, but it's all one god that is and we are.
I can understand that in a sense.
But, was there always 33 million Gods?
Obviously no, history shows us that each God was created as time progressed.
So if another hindu God gets created today, does that make it another manifestation of God?
I think it's (33M) just symbolic, a convention. Doesn't Islam have similar things? I have no idea or opinion on any metaphysics that might be involved.
But as a consolation prize, consider this:
- catholic saints are sorta like that, but the stricter monotheism (or trinitarianism which is understood as monotheism) is maintained while having local and partial quasi-magical beings to protect, intercede, hear prayer, etc. And they are also said to be souls that went to god. Similar.
- and hinduism is sort of like the utimate works righteousness (trying to be good enough), except it's really about a transformation (much like christianity and islam)
- christianity and buddhism are both "impatient" religions, they both looked at the demands of jewish law and hindu many lifetimes and looked for a faster way out. Christianity gave salvation and faith through jesus, and buddhism gave an enlightenment breakthrough.
It's all fun and climbing up different sides of the same mountain.
Better to compare notes than fight, except what's this I hear about wives... :lol: (kidding).