Why does Hinduism worship 28 million Gods?

Argue for and against religions and philosophies which are not Christian

Moderator: Moderators

Murad
Guru

Why does Hinduism worship 28 million Gods?

Post #1

Post by Murad »

28 million Gods

Thats a rough estimate on how many hindu Gods were created since the dawn of hinduism.

My questions to shubhamgarg1993 & any other hindu's is simple.

1) How can you possibly believe in 28 million Gods. If you dont, does that make you more or less of a hindu?
2) Are they not all images drawn by man? Like Zeus & Thor etc...
3) What logic is there to hinduism that non-hindu's do not understand.

If you could reply with text written personally it would be appreciated.
Do the people think that they will be left to say, "We believe" without being put to the test?
We have tested those before them, for GOD must distinguish those who are truthful, and He must expose the liars.

(Quran 29:2-3)

----
Why Jesus is NOT God
---

Wyvern
Under Probation

Re: Why does Hinduism worship 28 million Gods?

Post #2

Post by Wyvern »

Murad wrote:28 million Gods

Thats a rough estimate on how many hindu Gods were created since the dawn of hinduism.

My questions to shubhamgarg1993 & any other hindu's is simple.

1) How can you possibly believe in 28 million Gods. If you dont, does that make you more or less of a hindu?
2) Are they not all images drawn by man? Like Zeus & Thor etc...
3) What logic is there to hinduism that non-hindu's do not understand.

If you could reply with text written personally it would be appreciated.
One god or 28million gods I don't see one as being any less ridiculous than the other. Not a single god can be shown to be anything but an invention of man regardless of whether you call your particular god Jesus, Allah, Yahweh, Vishnu or any of the other millions of gods that have been invented over the ages. I would say the logic of Hinduism is the same as any other religion, you either believe it or you don't logic and reason generally doesn't play a big role in whether a religion is followed or not. After all India was controlled by muslims for hundreds of years and yet Hinduism is still the majority religion.

Murad
Guru

Re: Why does Hinduism worship 28 million Gods?

Post #3

Post by Murad »

Wyvern wrote: One god or 28million gods I don't see one as being any less ridiculous than the other.
Thats open for debate, but the system of revelation in the abrahamic religions were from prophets that all claimed to be chosen by the "God of Israel" and they were given the ability to perform miracles.

Hinduism on the other hand is just 28million Gods, each different from another.

Wyvern wrote: After all India was controlled by muslims for hundreds of years and yet Hinduism is still the majority religion.
Great, you should quote this to the people on this forum that insists Islam is 'believe or die'

Back to the Original Topic
Whether you believe in God or not is a different debate, but the questions i posted were directly aimed at hindu theology.
Do the people think that they will be left to say, "We believe" without being put to the test?
We have tested those before them, for GOD must distinguish those who are truthful, and He must expose the liars.

----
Why Jesus is NOT God
---

shubhamgarg1993
Student

why so many gods is that logical?

Post #4

Post by shubhamgarg1993 »

i know that this is the very first among many questions which are put forward by anyone new to hinduism....

if you will ask questions just to mock off hinduism and having firm belief that hinduism is stupid you wont get any answer... believe that this is a misconception and must be cleared to all and here's what i can say on this..
Read it with simple mind and you will get the answer....

First of all God is one. now you might know about the concept of Mukti , that is after death ,our aim is not the attainment of heaven..

a Hindu do good deeds not to get a seat in heaven but to attain the eternal peace and get relieved from taking birth on this earth again. the one who attains mukti is merged back in God as its the original place a soul emerges from..

now those souls which are enlightened or have done very good deeds,
those souls who on earth being human behaved as gods..
those whose characters were spotless and deeds were Divine , yet they were human.... are given a certain places in management of the universe..

and the places as Indra ,Brahma are considered as positions which not names ,
as a president is a position which can be attained by anyone who is capable enough , and his being as that person means president's time ceases with fixed time.

so that reason the god in hinduism is also just one while other millions are enlightened souls..

you might think that these are my personal views but i suggest you to please read Vedas, they vedas are regarded as directly given by Himself ,the 4 Vedas are the 4 pillars on which Hinduism stands.

Vedas clearly says God is one without any shape ,without any color.....

also i would like to tell you that what are the effects on hinduism and those hindus who believe on several gods instead of one..means you must know that how the lifestyle of people of Hindus are affected because they believe in several Gods..
please watch this video on my site..

oh God! so many gods in hinduism ..Why?
[/url]

shubhamgarg1993
Student

part 2 of my reply

Post #5

now most of the Gods in hinduism are made mere out of over respect shown to them..

now some people in india are making temples of cinema actors who did tremendous jobs in indian cinema for years eg. people are making temples of various actors and cricket players also..

now these are just out of respect and that doesn't means that they are gods... obviously Sachin Tendulkar is not God.

now , another thing are these millions of gods just images draawn by man..

NO , you must know Hinduism is oldest religion of world and was started from the starting of civilized humans..

the several millions of decades and centuries various people who were capable and emminent enough attained the title of God. many among them are Kings, many are the sages, many are the great Yogis, etc. in this way you see Hinduism gets so many Gods.

Learn about Hindusim here..

Murad
Guru

Post #6

Post by Murad »

I took your test, 100% :)
shubhamgarg1993 wrote: now , another thing are these millions of gods just images draawn by man..

NO , you must know Hinduism is oldest religion of world and was started from the starting of civilized humans..
This didnt make any sense.
Hindu Gods are drawn by men. All 28-33 million of them.
Thats like what, 5 or 6 Gods created by each hindu family that ever existed?
There is no difference apart from doctrines that seperate hindu gods from greek,roman,mayan,egyption,aboriginal gods etc...

shubhamgarg1993 wrote: the several millions of decades and centuries various people who were capable and emminent enough attained the title of God. many among them are Kings, many are the sages, many are the great Yogis, etc. in this way you see Hinduism gets so many Gods.
Several millions of decades?
Like when dinosaurs existed?

I noticed on one of your website
no ,theres one supreme godhead who has divided himself in various forms take any one form and worship him,love him from core of your heart and thank him ,He is himself in every god so worshiping any one is like worshiping all of the 33 million gods.
I dont want to sound blunt, but there are numerous stuff i cant grasp.

"God consists of 33 million Gods"
Was he always 33million or did people create them as time progressed?
"Worshipping 1 of the 33 million hindu Gods is like worshipping all 33 million" So if i started worshipping Vishnu i would be worshipping 32,999,999 other gods simultaneously?
"He is himself in every god" Is he in my God? Or is this only for Gods with pictures?

Also could you refresh my memory on how God 'Ganesh' got his elephant head?

----
Why Jesus is NOT God
---

shubhamgarg1993
Student

Post #7

Namaste !!

i know that what you are trying to point at and also i am aware what will be your next reply after i post the story of Ganesha...

for that i wont post the story...
you are a Staunch Muslim and grasped by Religious Chauvenism ...and whatever i say,
you would just oppose..

and regarding your future reply... God Shiva commited the act under the control high anger .. and this act was not at all good and hence is condemned. Lord Shiva feels later that He did wrong and was given a high rebukement by His wife Parvati.
so in hinduism any act done wrong is considered wrong it is not hidden but told to all that this is wrong and must not be done even though its done by God Himself...

while i see other religions where

messengers are having sex with daughter-in-laws and when caught say ,"do not interfere its will of Allah and you must not interfere by any kind.."
and imaginary verses are made to be added to a book.

please make your mind and tell me if you wish to learn about hinduism not if you want to have a debate on hinduism...
some mental reverts like Zakir Naik are already on same path you are trying to aquire..
so i can tell you about hinduism not i want to waste my time in proving it correct get someone else for that as i dont want to waste a long time just proving my religion true i will use time to practice it rather.
Hare Krishna !!!!
Want to learn about hinduism
. and get answers to questions not just for raising oppositions is welcome..

Murad
Guru

Post #8

Post by Murad »

shubhamgarg1993 wrote:Namaste !!

i know that what you are trying to point at and also i am aware what will be your next reply after i post the story of Ganesha...

for that i wont post the story...
you are a Staunch Muslim and grasped by Religious Chauvenism ...and whatever i say,
you would just oppose..

and regarding your future reply... God Shiva commited the act under the control high anger .. and this act was not at all good and hence is condemned. Lord Shiva feels later that He did wrong and was given a high rebukement by His wife Parvati.
so in hinduism any act done wrong is considered wrong it is not hidden but told to all that this is wrong and must not be done even though its done by God Himself...

while i see other religions where

messengers are having sex with daughter-in-laws and when caught say ,"do not interfere its will of Allah and you must not interfere by any kind.."
and imaginary verses are made to be added to a book.

please make your mind and tell me if you wish to learn about hinduism not if you want to have a debate on hinduism...
some mental reverts like Zakir Naik are already on same path you are trying to aquire..
so i can tell you about hinduism not i want to waste my time in proving it correct get someone else for that as i dont want to waste a long time just proving my religion true i will use time to practice it rather.
Hare Krishna !!!!
Want to learn about hinduism
. and get answers to questions not just for raising oppositions is welcome..
"Sex with daughters in law"
Where are you getting this?

Wow such hate comming from you, i have as much knowledge about Vishnu as i have about Ganesh and Hanuman.... very little, and i have no idea what your talking about on what Vishnu done. So before you get all emotional about your 33 million Gods, take a second to re-read what you wrote.

Also, before you make blunt statements, i suggest you relocate yourself to a hindu website, this website is where we debate religion, not where we hold hands and sing songs while worshipping 33 million Gods that have pictures.
I dont come here to listen to preachers or to preach myself. I was interested to learn more about Hinduism, but knowledge cannot be gained without asking questions. And quite frankly, i dont want to learn about hinduism anymore after your offensive remarks.

Also Dr Zakir Naik is a very noble scholar, he has more knowledge about the Abrahamic religions and hinduism than you will ever grasp in 10 lifetimes.
He has memorized the Vedas, Quran, and Bible, if knowledge is "mental"(thats what you called him), then indeed he is mental.

Also back to my question, how did Ganesh get his elephant head?
Lets see if the story agree's with medical science and human logic.

----
Why Jesus is NOT God
---

EduChris
Prodigy

Post #9

Post by EduChris »

Murad wrote:..."Sex with daughters in law"
Where are you getting this?...
http://muhammadanism.org/Muhammad/Muham ... hterIL.htm

Murad
Guru

Post #10

Post by Murad »

EduChris wrote:
Murad wrote:..."Sex with daughters in law"
Where are you getting this?...
http://muhammadanism.org/Muhammad/Muham ... hterIL.htm
Its not suprising, where you get your sources.

The Zainab your talking about was married to her maternal cousin Abu al-Aas ibn al-Rabiah prior to his conversion to Islam, she became the mother of two children: Ali and Umamah.

There is a difference between:
Zainab bint Muhammad
and
Zaynab bint Khuzayma

Do your research, and i suggest you look at Islamic sources that are not biased.

----
Why Jesus is NOT God
---