Jehovah's Witnesses

Getting to know more about a specific belief

Moderator: Moderators

Murad
Guru

Jehovah's Witnesses

Post #1

Post by Murad »

Since they don't believe in a trinity; are they polythiests or is there another doctrine that makes up for the trinity.
Do the people think that they will be left to say, "We believe" without being put to the test?
We have tested those before them, for GOD must distinguish those who are truthful, and He must expose the liars.

(Quran 29:2-3)

----
Why Jesus is NOT God
---

Murad
Guru

Post #11

Post by Murad »

AmazingJesusIs wrote:When the Bible is talking about gods (with a lowercase 'g') it is referring to a number of things, which include:
-fictional gods such as Buddha, or Zeus, or Romulus, or Isis, or Bastet or Allah
-idols such as money, fame, or glory
-anything a man puts before the one true God, which includes the above two

It is not talking about real life "lesser-gods" that we don't exactly know exist (which in fact they don't).
1) There are NO capitals in the ancient semitic languages. Yes that includes Hebrew & Greek. The capitals in the Bible that differenciate "God" from "god" are concoctions. And i personally, find it very amusing that some people refer to these non-existent pseudo 'capitals' in a debate.

2) There are around 14-15 million arab Christians that call their God "Allah". So are these Christians worshipping a "fictional god" as you put it?
Do the people think that they will be left to say, "We believe" without being put to the test?
We have tested those before them, for GOD must distinguish those who are truthful, and He must expose the liars.

----
Why Jesus is NOT God
---

Kuan
Site Supporter

Post #12

Post by Kuan »

AmazingJesusIs wrote:When the Bible is talking about gods (with a lowercase 'g') it is referring to a number of things, which include:
-fictional gods such as Buddha, or Zeus, or Romulus, or Isis, or Bastet or Allah
I dont remember Buddha being a god, or is he considered a god?

Now, you said Allah is a fictional god, but im positive that muslims believe in the same Abrahamic god that Jews and Christians believe in.
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."
- Voltaire

Kung may ayaw, may dahilan. Kung may gusto, may paraan.

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Post #13

Post by McCulloch »

I'm tempted to restate the points made by mormon boy51 and Murad, but I won't. Enough to say that I agree with their objections.

My question is how does one differentiate between a fictional god and the real one? The Bible has a story about just how to do this, but when I tried it, I just ended up with two piles of wet lumber. Should I try again with more piles?
Examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
First Epistle to the Church of the Thessalonians
The truth will make you free.
Gospel of John

Murad
Guru

Post #14

Post by Murad »

McCulloch wrote:I'm tempted to restate the points made by mormon boy51 and Murad, but I won't. Enough to say that I agree with their objections.

My question is how does one differentiate between a fictional god and the real one? The Bible has a story about just how to do this, but when I tried it, I just ended up with two piles of wet lumber. Should I try again with more piles?
Well, obviously this question is subjective. I'll give the Islamic view.

In Arabia, a certain group of Christians were highly interested in the man named "Muhammad"(pbuh) that was claiming prophethood, thus they travelled a long way in order to see & question him. When the group of men finally arrived at Medina, they met Muhammad(pbuh) & his disciples, almost instantly they engaged in a debate with him. One of the men asked him "Whats your view of God?". It is believed at this moment this Quranic verse was revealed:
"In the name of God, the Merciful, the Compassionate.
Say (O Muhammad) He is God the One God, the Everlasting Refuge, who has not begotten, nor has been begotten, and equal to Him is not anyone."
(Quran 112)
This is the basic litmus test for muslims, i believe Judaism shares the exact same view.

----
Why Jesus is NOT God
---

Peg
Student

Post #15

Post by Peg »

Murad wrote:Thank for your reply JehovahsWitness
So to summarise that; you believe in 'many' gods; but only worship one al-mighty/creator/Jehovah?
the heavens are full of spirit persons like God... they are angels and even Satan is named as a 'god'

so a god is really just a description for a spirit person.

We worship only Jehovah the Creator of heaven and earth. He has a created 'only begotten' son Jesus Christ who we acknowledge as one of the powerful spirits who live in heaven with Jehovah but we do not worship him.

So we are more monotheistic then other christians who actually worship Jesus as if he is the Almighty God Jehovah....some even pray to the 'saints' and even Mary, the earthly mother of Jesus, as if those saints are able to answer their prayers...so that is true polytheism and most dont even realise it.

Burninglight
Guru

Post #16

Post by Burninglight »

Peg wrote:
Murad wrote:Thank for your reply JehovahsWitness
So to summarise that; you believe in 'many' gods; but only worship one al-mighty/creator/Jehovah?
the heavens are full of spirit persons like God... they are angels and even Satan is named as a 'god'

so a god is really just a description for a spirit person.

We worship only Jehovah the Creator of heaven and earth. He has a created 'only begotten' son Jesus Christ who we acknowledge as one of the powerful spirits who live in heaven with Jehovah but we do not worship him.

So we are more monotheistic then other christians who actually worship Jesus as if he is the Almighty God Jehovah....some even pray to the 'saints' and even Mary, the earthly mother of Jesus, as if those saints are able to answer their prayers...so that is true polytheism and most dont even realise it.
Muslims and Jehova Witnesses would get along prefectly accept Muslim don't believe Jesus is the son of God. Muslims don't believe that Jesus was Michael the angel nor do Christians. Catholics worship saints and Mary, but Biblical Christians don't do that.

Jesus never said "I am God worship me, but he alludes to His deity when He says "I and the father are one... and Before Abraham was I am." Jehovah witness have there own distored version of the Bible that Biblical Scholars don't agree with. Muslims believe the Bible is corrupted as well.

Biblical Christians believe the father is greater than Jesus in position, office and function but equal in character, nature and essence. They don't believe Jesus is created. They believe He is the word of God incarnated. There is the venue of the father in heaven and the venue of the son on earth they are inextricably linked like they are hotwired together; the current in this oneness is the holiness and power of God the Holy Spirit who is God.

God is Spirit, God is Holy; therefore, Biblical Christians believe he is the Holy Spirit.
Jehovah Witnesses err thinking it is a force and not a person like the Bible states. Islam and Jevoha Witnesses share the same eternal fate according to the true word of God.

Felix
Student

Post #17

Post by Felix »

mormon boy51 wrote:Now, you said Allah is a fictional god, but im positive that muslims believe in the same Abrahamic god that Jews and Christians believe in.
Jews do not believe in the true God. Jesus was clear on that point.

Felix
Student

Post #18

Post by Felix »

McCulloch wrote:My question is how does one differentiate between a fictional god and the real one? The Bible has a story about just how to do this, but when I tried it, I just ended up with two piles of wet lumber. Should I try again with more piles?
Only one pile of lumber should have been wet.

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Post #19

Post by McCulloch »

mormon boy51 wrote: Now, you said Allah is a fictional god, but im positive that muslims believe in the same Abrahamic god that Jews and Christians believe in.
Felix wrote: Jews do not believe in the true God. Jesus was clear on that point.
I must have missed where Jesus states that clearly. Please provide a quote.

The question still remains: do the various different monotheist religions believe different things about the same God or do they believe in different gods? How can you say, for example, that Muslims and Mormons believe in different gods but Baptists and Eastern Orthodox believe in the same one?
McCulloch wrote: My question is how does one differentiate between a fictional god and the real one? The Bible has a story about just how to do this, but when I tried it, I just ended up with two piles of wet lumber. Should I try again with more piles?
Felix wrote: Only one pile of lumber should have been wet.
Thanks for that. I'll try again.
Examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
First Epistle to the Church of the Thessalonians
The truth will make you free.
Gospel of John

Goat
Site Supporter

Post #20

Post by Goat »

Felix wrote:
mormon boy51 wrote:Now, you said Allah is a fictional god, but im positive that muslims believe in the same Abrahamic god that Jews and Christians believe in.
Jews do not believe in the true God. Jesus was clear on that point.
Care to show that to be true and accurate? Could you provide a source for that claim?
“What do you think science is? There is nothing magical about science. It is simply a systematic way for carefully and thoroughly observing nature and using consistent logic to evaluate results. So which part of that exactly do you disagree with? Do you disagree with being thorough? Using careful observation? Being systematic? Or using consistent logic?�

Steven Novella