"Mainstream" Christianity

Getting to know more about a particular group

Moderator: Moderators

Kuan
Site Supporter

"Mainstream" Christianity

Post #1

Post by Kuan »

While I start off this thread, let me give you a quick introduction to the society I live in. This way you can understand why I am confused so much.

My name is Rex (JFYI) and I was born and raised in Utah. I am mormon (hence the name.) In Utah, its great living with mormons but it is different from what I know of the "normal" world, but there is a downside to living in a predominately mormon society. Its very biased... Hence the reason im starting this thread. I want to learn more about other christian religions, I dont understand most of (if any) of your beliefs. I understand a small part about the trinity but thats mostly it. My first month on this site was a complete culture shock to say the least.

So here is what im asking, can you please teach me about the "outside" world. I don't want any bible bashing in this thread, nor anyone trying to put down my religion. This thread is solely so I can learn more about other christian beliefs so when I try to debate with you i am not misinformed and making the terrible comments that I have whenever I get involved in a religious debate on here.
Robert Quillen wrote:Discussion is an exchange of knowledge; an argument an exchange of ignorance.
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."
- Voltaire

Kung may ayaw, may dahilan. Kung may gusto, may paraan.

sleepyhead
Site Supporter

Post #2

Post by sleepyhead »

Hello Rex,

I'm a member of the A.R.E. (Association for research and Enlightenment) The main difference between us and other sects of Christianity (and Mormons) is we believe our life on earth is another opportunity to learn rather than a test. Reincarnation just makes more sense then only coming here one time.
May all your naps be joyous occasions.

Kuan
Site Supporter

Post #3

Post by Kuan »

Ok, thanks for the response
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."
- Voltaire

mich
Sage

Re: "Mainstream" Christianity

Post #4

Post by mich »

mormon boy51 wrote:While I start off this thread, let me give you a quick introduction to the society I live in. This way you can understand why I am confused so much.

My name is Rex (JFYI) and I was born and raised in Utah. I am mormon (hence the name.) In Utah, its great living with mormons but it is different from what I know of the "normal" world, but there is a downside to living in a predominately mormon society. Its very biased... Hence the reason im starting this thread. I want to learn more about other christian religions, I dont understand most of (if any) of your beliefs. I understand a small part about the trinity but thats mostly it. My first month on this site was a complete culture shock to say the least.

So here is what im asking, can you please teach me about the "outside" world. I don't want any bible bashing in this thread, nor anyone trying to put down my religion. This thread is solely so I can learn more about other christian beliefs so when I try to debate with you i am not misinformed and making the terrible comments that I have whenever I get involved in a religious debate on here.
Robert Quillen wrote:Discussion is an exchange of knowledge; an argument an exchange of ignorance.

Hello Rex, and welcome to this forum:
I am a Roman Catholic by faith, so if you have any questions, go right along.
My personal position is that I don't think it matters what philosophical approach one takes; whether a religious appropach or an atheistic one. The heart is what matters. I don't believe that one gets into hell(if there is one) because one fails to follow the proper religion, but because one fails to love, the latter being not an emotion, but a state which one achieves through it's will and hard work.

The Catholic position is, that, since no one is capable in fulfilling the end point of our being, and therefore give rise to a united, harmonious world, a Savior was needed. Through this Savior, we believe that hell can be bypassed through the reception of a new nature, given to us by this salvation.

Andre

Question Everything
Sage

Re: "Mainstream" Christianity

Post #5

Post by Question Everything »

mormon boy51 wrote:.

My recommendation is for you to read posts in this forum by different people on different things, and also explore any websites that either have a specific religion, or are skeptical of any religion at all.
"Oh, you can''t get through seminary and come out believing in God!"

current pastor who is a closet atheist
quoted by Daniel Dennett.

cnorman18

Post #6

Post by cnorman18 »

A couple of those "For Dummies" books might be helpful. There are any number of books on basic Judaism, and there are probably some similar things on basic Christianity, though perhaps more oriented toward the individual denominations.

C. S. Lewis's Mere Christianity is pretty good on the doctrines and beliefs held, more or less, by all the sects and denominations of mainstream Christianity. Lewis was an Anglican, aka Episcopalian, which is doctrinally somewhere between most Protestant sects and Roman Catholicism. The Pentecostals are in another ballpark altogether, neither Protestant nor Catholic; it constitutes a third branch, and they do their own thing.

If you want to know about lifestyles as opposed to beliefs, all bets are off. You have the Old Order Amish and the Southern Baptists at one end, and the Metropolitan Community Church and Glide Memorial United Methodist Church of San Francisco on the other -- and the Assemblies of God and the Holiness churches at yet another extreme.

Drop by a Barnes & Noble or a good public library and check out the Christianity section. Then pick your jaw up off the carpet and start reading.

In the words of Auntie Mame -- "Life is a banquet, and most of you poor &*$#s are starving to death."

Kuan
Site Supporter

Post #7

Post by Kuan »

Thanks for the replies, I actualy have read one of C.S. Lewis' books (Not Narnia.) He is an amazing author ill have to check out that one, thank you.

Yeah, ive been sulking around on here trying to find out more but im still somewhat in a culture shock.

Thats an interesting belief, I tend to agree with you on good works lead to salvation Andre.
- Voltaire

Slopeshoulder
Banned
Banned

Post #8

Post by Slopeshoulder »

How deep do you want to go?

CS Lewis is an OK start, but even though anglican, he was really more evangelical. I read him like a sponge at first, then left it all behind for richer meat and never looked back.

I'd get a good textbook or respected intro book. But let's face it, your gonna have to read 5-10 minimum. I think Karen Armstrong is a good reliable author, and very inclusive. PM if you're interested in more academic style intros.
BTW, I CANNOT recommend more highly that you read philosophy alongside studying religion. The BEST intro I know is the Passion of the Western Mind, with the novel Sophie's World a close second. Trust me on that. And you know, I'd add Joseph Campbell's the Power of Myth as a nice little intro to a broader religious mindset. And Thic Naht Hanh's Living Buddha Living Christ is a nice little read.

And mad props to you for reaching out. I salute you.

Kuan
Site Supporter

Post #9

Post by Kuan »

Slopeshoulder wrote:How deep do you want to go?

CS Lewis is an OK start, but even though anglican, he was really more evangelical. I read him like a sponge at first, then left it all behind for richer meat and never looked back.

I'd get a good textbook or respected intro book. But let's face it, your gonna have to read 5-10 minimum. I think Karen Armstrong is a good reliable author, and very inclusive. PM if you're interested in more academic style intros.
BTW, I CANNOT recommend more highly that you read philosophy alongside studying religion. The BEST intro I know is the Passion of the Western Mind, with the novel Sophie's World a close second. Trust me on that. And you know, I'd add Joseph Campbell's the Power of Myth as a nice little intro to a broader religious mindset. And Thic Naht Hanh's Living Buddha Living Christ is a nice little read.

I wanted to study philosophy in college but I had to focus on other classes and did not have a chance to take it. (Yet.)
- Voltaire

Slopeshoulder
Banned
Banned

Post #10

Post by Slopeshoulder »

mormon boy51 wrote:
Slopeshoulder wrote:How deep do you want to go?

I wanted to study philosophy in college but I had to focus on other classes and did not have a chance to take it. (Yet.)
You will get 90% of what you need from the two books I mentioned!!!! Everything else is detail. Just read 'em slow. They rock!!!!!!! Those two and Armstrong's History of God will do ya. Then move onto the other 25,000 volumes. :)