Does Gay Marriage threaten traditional Family Values?

Two hot topics for the price of one

Moderator: Moderators

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Post #1

Post by McCulloch »

WinePusher wrote: I don't think gay marriage is immoral by any means, I just oppose it because I support traditional family values.
McCulloch wrote: But gay marriage does not harm nor does it challenge traditional family values. I don't want to close down the Indian restaurant up the road because I like Italian food.
WinePusher wrote: It challenges the future of the nuclear family, which is generally one mother and one father and a # of children. Anything that does not include these factors (such as single motherhood, foster homes, divorces, and gay marriage) should be avoided in order to preserve traditional family values.
Are Traditional Family Values in any danger of not being preserved?
Examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
First Epistle to the Church of the Thessalonians
The truth will make you free.
Gospel of John

Kuan
Site Supporter

Post #11

Post by Kuan »

AkiThePirate wrote:Well there'll probably be a denomination that does gay marriages, if it becomes a problem.

I don't see why it would technically be one, though.
Asking a Catholic priest to wed you with another man is comparable to asking if you can enter the 100m sprint with a bike; that's not how that event works.
Yes, but how do we handle it when they get offended that you wont let them in the race and they want new rules?
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."
- Voltaire

Kung may ayaw, may dahilan. Kung may gusto, may paraan.

madfrog
Student

Re: Does Gay Marriage threaten traditional Family Values?

Post #12

Post by madfrog »

"Several major religious groups permit same-sex unions, but do not give them the same status as marriage, including the Episcopal Church, with about 2.3 million members; the Evangelical Lutheran Church, with 5 million; and Reform Judaism, with 1.7 million."

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/07/05/natio ... hurch.html

There are churches that marry gays, they're just harder to find. Presumably, gays would look for an accepting church before joining.

LiamOS
Site Supporter

Post #13

Post by LiamOS »

[color=green]mormon boy51[/color] wrote:
[color=orange]AkiThePirate[/color] wrote:Well there'll probably be a denomination that does gay marriages, if it becomes a problem.

I don't see why it would technically be one, though.
Asking a Catholic priest to wed you with another man is comparable to asking if you can enter the 100m sprint with a bike; that's not how that event works.
Yes, but how do we handle it when they get offended that you wont let them in the race and they want new rules?
You open the 100m bike race.

a.rellim

Post #14

Post by a.rellim »

According to the Bible, marriage is ordained by God to be between a man and a woman (Genesis 2:21-24; Matthew 19:4-6). Gay marriage/same-sex marriage is a perversion of the institution of marriage and an offense to the God who created marriage.

Modern secular psychology recognizes that men and women are psychologically and emotionally designed to complement one another. In regard to the family, psychologists contend that a union between a man and woman in which both spouses serve as good gender role models is the best environment in which to raise well-adjusted children. Psychology argues against gay marriage. In nature/physicality, clearly, men and women were designed to “fit� together sexually. With the “natural� purpose of sexual intercourse being procreation, clearly only a sexual relationship between a man and a woman can fulfill this purpose.

LiamOS
Site Supporter

Post #15

Post by LiamOS »

[color=orange]a.rellim[/color] wrote:Modern secular psychology recognizes that men and women are psychologically and emotionally designed to complement one another.
Are you a psychologist? Please support the assertion that men and women are psychologically and emotionally compatible to a degree greater than same-sex couples are.
Also, your use of the word designed is rather inappropriate, as psychology does not posit how humanity came into being.
[color=green]a.rellim[/color] wrote:In regard to the family, psychologists contend that a union between a man and woman in which both spouses serve as good gender role models is the best environment in which to raise well-adjusted children.
Which psychologists? Can you show this to be true?
[color=red]a.rellim[/color] wrote:Psychology argues against gay marriage.
Who does, where and why?
a.rellim wrote:In nature/physicality, clearly, men and women were designed to “fit� together sexually.
Microwaves were designed to kill people, but they make some good popcorn.

And men and women were not 'designed'. Modern biology tell us that.
[color=green]a.rellim[/color] wrote:With the “natural� purpose of sexual intercourse being procreation, clearly only a sexual relationship between a man and a woman can fulfill this purpose.
Why must this 'purpose' be fulfilled?
Last edited by LiamOS on Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Post #16

Post by McCulloch »

a.rellim wrote: According to the Bible, marriage is ordained by God to be between a man and a woman (Genesis 2:21-24; Matthew 19:4-6).
I agree, some of the writers of the Bible does seem to teach this. I disagree with those writers.
a.rellim wrote: Gay marriage/same-sex marriage is a perversion of the institution of marriage and an offense to the God who created marriage.
There is no evidence that God created marriage.
a.rellim wrote: Modern secular psychology recognizes that men and women are psychologically and emotionally designed to complement one another.
Modern secular psychology removed homosexuality from the list of mental disorders in 1974. However, even if psychology were to make such a statement, it would only apply according to a statistical average. Thus, if you were to say that psychology predicts that more humans will be successful in heterosexual marriage than in same-sex marriage, you might be right. That would explain why, even in countries where homosexual marriage is allowed, the overwhelming majority of marriages continue to be heterosexual.

I will echo AkiThePirate's requests that you substantiate your claims about what psychologists say about child-rearing and gay marriage in general.
Examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
First Epistle to the Church of the Thessalonians
The truth will make you free.
Gospel of John

Goat
Site Supporter

Post #17

Post by Goat »

a.rellim wrote:According to the Bible, marriage is ordained by God to be between a man and a woman (Genesis 2:21-24; Matthew 19:4-6). Gay marriage/same-sex marriage is a perversion of the institution of marriage and an offense to the God who created marriage.
That's why Abraham had two wives.. because it's between one man and one woman.

While the writers of the bible showed that they believed it perferable that a man and a woman 'cleave to each other', that does not mean other forms are permissible.

According to Paul, being single and devoting ones life to God is better than marriage.
Modern secular psychology recognizes that men and women are psychologically and emotionally designed to complement one another. In regard to the family, psychologists contend that a union between a man and woman in which both spouses serve as good gender role models is the best environment in which to raise well-adjusted children. Psychology argues against gay marriage. In nature/physicality, clearly, men and women were designed to “fit� together sexually. With the “natural� purpose of sexual intercourse being procreation, clearly only a sexual relationship between a man and a woman can fulfill this purpose.
I challenge you on proving that 'Modern secular psychology' says any such thing. I challenge you that 'Psychology argues against gay marriage'. Prove it.
“What do you think science is? There is nothing magical about science. It is simply a systematic way for carefully and thoroughly observing nature and using consistent logic to evaluate results. So which part of that exactly do you disagree with? Do you disagree with being thorough? Using careful observation? Being systematic? Or using consistent logic?�

Steven Novella

Lux
Site Supporter

Post #18

Post by Lux »

Goat wrote:That's why Abraham had two wives.. because it's between one man and one woman.
Goat for the win.

I just felt like being the fourth person to point out that there is no evidence that god created marriage (especially seeing as there is no evidence that god even exists) or that psychology argues against homosexuality. But that's rather off-topic.

I don't understand how gay marriage threatens the "traditional family". It's a complete non-sequitur. People won't magically turn gay just because it's legal to marry someone of the same sex, and therefore the number of happy heterosexual marriages should not decrease due to the existence of same-sex marriage.
[center]Image

© Divine Insight (Thanks!)[/center]

"There is more room for a god in science than there is for no god in religious faith." -Phil Plate.

SailingCyclops
Site Supporter

Post #19

Post by SailingCyclops »

a.rellim wrote:According to the Bible, marriage is ordained by God to be between a man and a woman (Genesis 2:21-24; Matthew 19:4-6).
So? Some of us believe the bible is just so much nonsense.

Bob

Religion flies you into buildings, Science flies you to the moon.
If we believe absurdities, we shall commit atrocities -- Voltaire
Bless us and save us, said Mrs. O'Davis

madfrog
Student

Post #20

Post by madfrog »

SailingCyclops wrote: So? Some of us believe the bible is just so much nonsense.
Exactly! I have yet to find a compelling nonreligious argument as to why gay marriage is wrong.

a.rellim wrote:Psychology argues against gay marriage.
Psychology recognizes that homosexuality is not a mental defect.

a.rellim wrote:In nature/physicality, clearly, men and women were designed to “fit� together sexually. With the “natural� purpose of sexual intercourse being procreation, clearly only a sexual relationship between a man and a woman can fulfill this purpose.
It's not as if we're running out of humans in the world.

If this argument were valid, sterile people wouldn't be allowed to get married. Are you suggesting that we test every couple before marriage to see if they could successfully procreate?

It's not as if banning gay marriage is going to stop people from having sex. It does prevent us from doing good things though, like visiting partners in the hospital and adopting children who would otherwise be left drifting through the foster care system or foreign orphanages unnoticed.

WinePusher wrote:I don't think gay marriage is immoral by any means, I just oppose it because I support traditional family values.
CNN wrote:A nearly 25-year study concluded that children raised in lesbian households were psychologically well-adjusted and had fewer behavioral problems than their peers.
http://articles.cnn.com/2010-06-07/heal ... =PM:HEALTH
‎"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don''t matter, and those who matter don''t mind." -Dr. Seuss