Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

ChristShepherd
Scholar

[b]Uganda set to make homosexuality punishable by death[/b]

Post #1

Post by ChristShepherd »

Uganda set to make homosexuality punishable by death

While homosexual acts are already illegal in the African nation of Uganda, a new law being discussed would attach a minimum sentence of life in prison for such acts, and practitioners of homosexuality could be given the death sentence.

According to the Guardian U.K. The push for harsher punishments has come mostly from American evangelists Scott Lively, Don Schmierer and Caleb Lee Brundidge. Lively is a noted anti-gay activist and president of Defend the Family International, a conservative Christian association, while Schmierer is an author who works with “homosexual recovery groups�. Brundidge is a “sexual reorientation coach� at the International Healing Foundation. They have pushed stories onto Ugandan officials of European gays "recruiting" men and women from Uganda; and that homosexuality can be cured.

Read more: http://www.digitaljournal.com/article/2 ... z14c4YoGr8

What do you think about American Evangelists influencing politics in foreign countries?
Is it Justice to execute Homosexuals?
Is homosexuality a crime? Is it a civil crime or a religious crime?

led by the spirit
Apprentice

Post #11

Post by led by the spirit »

Just like sodom and gomorah I say kill em all

ChristShepherd
Scholar

Post #12

Post by ChristShepherd »

led by the spirit wrote:Just like sodom and gomorah I say kill em all
Why do you want homosexuals to die?
Is your reason religious?
Or revenge?
Why?

Zzyzx
Site Supporter

Post #13

Post by Zzyzx »

THAT is the danger of bigotry, perhaps in the name of religious fervor.

It is not surprising that those who worship a "god" that is said to have killed millions of people for "displeasing him" or being "wicked" or for worshiping the wrong "god" -- are likely to copy their idol.

Why not just "Kill 'em all [everyone] and let god sort 'em out" -- which was the sentiment of some military units with which I served (though thankfully during "peacetime" when opportunities to apply the idea were limited).
Non-Theist

ANY of the thousands of "gods" proposed, imagined, worshiped, loved, feared, and/or fought over by humans MAY exist -- awaiting verifiable evidence

Slopeshoulder
Banned
Banned

Post #14

Post by Slopeshoulder »

Zzyzx wrote:.
THAT is the danger of bigotry, perhaps in the name of religious fervor.

It is not surprising that those who worship a "god" that is said to have killed millions of people for "displeasing him" or being "wicked" or for worshiping the wrong "god" -- are likely to copy their idol.

Why not just "Kill 'em all [everyone] and let god sort 'em out" -- which was the sentiment of some military units with which I served (though thankfully during "peacetime" when opportunities to apply the idea were limited).
It's also what the commander said before slaughtering every man, woman and child in the Cathar massacre/genocide: "Kill them all. God will recognize his own."

Zzyzx
Site Supporter

Post #15

Post by Zzyzx »

Slopeshoulder wrote:It's also what the commander said before slaughtering every man, woman and child in the Cathar massacre/genocide: "Kill them all. God will recognize his own."
Until your mention, I was unfamiliar with Catharism or the massacre. Here is a summation of what I have learned, for the benefit of others:
Catharism was a name given to a Christian religious sect with dualistic and gnostic elements that appeared in the Languedoc region of France and other parts of Europe in the 11th century and flourished in the 12th and 13th centuries. Catharism had its roots in the Paulician movement in Armenia and the Bogomils of Bulgaria with whom the Paulicians merged. They also became influenced by dualist and Manichaean beliefs.

Massacre

The crusader army came under the command, both spiritually and militarily, of the papal legate Arnaud-Amaury, Abbot of Cîteaux. In the first significant engagement of the war, the town of Béziers was besieged on 22 July 1209. The Catholic inhabitants of the city were granted the freedom to leave unharmed, but many refused and opted to stay and fight alongside the Cathars.

The Cathars spent much of 1209 fending off the crusaders. The leader of the crusaders, Simon de Montfort, resorted to primitive psychological warfare. He ordered his troops to gouge out the eyes of 100 prisoners, cut off their noses and lips, then send them back to the towers led by a prisoner with one remaining eye. This only served to harden the resolve of the Cathars.[12]

The Béziers army attempted a sortie but was quickly defeated, then pursued by the crusaders back through the gates and into the city. Arnaud, the Cistercian abbot-commander, is supposed to have been asked how to tell Cathars from Catholics. His reply, recalled by Caesar of Heisterbach, a fellow Cistercian, thirty years later was "Caedite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius."—"Kill them all, the Lord will recognise His own."[13][14] The doors of the church of St Mary Magdalene were broken down and the refugees dragged out and slaughtered. Reportedly, 7,000 people died there. Elsewhere in the town many more thousands were mutilated and killed. Prisoners were blinded, dragged behind horses, and used for target practice.[15] What remained of the city was razed by fire. Arnaud wrote to Pope Innocent III, "Today your Holiness, twenty thousand heretics were put to the sword, regardless of rank, age, or sex.".[16][17] The permanent population of Béziers at that time was then probably no more than 5,000, but local refugees seeking shelter within the city walls could conceivably have increased the number to 20,000.

After the success of his siege of Carcassonne, which followed the massacre at Béziers, Simon de Montfort was designated as leader of the Crusader army. Prominent opponents of the Crusaders were Raymond-Roger de Trencavel, viscount of Carcassonne, and his feudal overlord Peter II, the king of Aragon, who held fiefdoms and had a number of vassals in the region. Peter died fighting against the crusade on 12 September 1213 at the Battle of Muret.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catharism#Massacre
I am not surprised.
Non-Theist

ANY of the thousands of "gods" proposed, imagined, worshiped, loved, feared, and/or fought over by humans MAY exist -- awaiting verifiable evidence

Lux
Site Supporter

Post #16

Post by Lux »

Moderator Formal Warning
This forum is a place for civil debate, calling for violence against a group is not at all in keeping with our standards of civility and respect.

Please read and follow the rules, and avoid using hate speech or posting aggressive messages in the future.
[center]Image

© Divine Insight (Thanks!)[/center]

"There is more room for a god in science than there is for no god in religious faith." -Phil Plate.

flitzerbiest
Sage

Post #17

Post by flitzerbiest »

Kudos to the moderator. A statement like that could/should provoke law enforcement interest.

fewwillfindit
Guru

Post #18

Post by fewwillfindit »

Zzyzx wrote:
Which is also how Muslim suicide bombers "justify" collateral damage.
ledbythespirit wrote:Just like sodom and gomorah[sic] I say kill em all
Care to share any scripture from the New Testament, wherein Christianity is defined, that condones such behavior?
OP wrote: What do you think about American Evangelists influencing politics in foreign countries?
If Christians were advocating for capital punishment for homosexuals, it wouldn't be Biblical literalism, rather it would be Biblical illiteracy. However, these three Evangelicals were not doing this in Uganda.
New York Times wrote:http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/04/world ... ganda.html

Now the three Americans are finding themselves on the defensive, saying they had no intention of helping stoke the kind of anger that could lead to what came next: a bill to impose a death sentence for homosexual behavior.
Certainly these three should not be attempting to influence politicians to criminalize homosexuality. There is no New Testament mandate to do so. Regulate it within the church? Absolutely. Instigate its criminalization in secular society? Absolutely not.
Acts 13:48 And when the Gentiles heard this, they began rejoicing and glorifying the word of the Lord, and as many as were appointed to eternal life believed.

The Nice Centurion
Sage

Re: [b]Uganda set to make homosexuality punishable by death[/b]

Post #19

Post by The Nice Centurion »

[Replying to ChristShepherd in post #1]
Just wanted to add that a while ago Nigeria made rape of a woman punishable by castration and rape of a kid punishable by first castration, then death🕌

I wonder how that worked out there meanwhile🛴

Nigeria is 55% muhamaddan & 45% christian, just so you know🐟🕋
“If you give a man a fish, you feed him for a day. But if you drown a man in a fish pond, he will never have to go hungry again🐟

"Only Experts in Reformed Egyptian should be allowed to critique the Book of Mormon❗"

"Joseph Smith can't possibly have been a deceiver.
For if he had been, the Angel Moroni never would have taken the risk of enthrusting him with the Golden Plates❗"