Gills to Lungs???

Creationism, Evolution, and other science issues

Moderator: Moderators

YEC
Sage

Gills to Lungs???

Post #1

Post by YEC »

The evolutionist have told me that through a process of mutations the gills in a fish were replaced with lungs.

My question,
How many mutations did it take?

LillSnopp
Scholar

Post #2

Post by LillSnopp »

error
Last edited by LillSnopp on Wed Apr 27, 2005 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LillSnopp
Scholar

Post #3

Post by LillSnopp »

I dont know. We have Theories.

Nyril
Scholar

Post #4

Post by Nyril »

My question,
Easy. Between 1 mutation and an infinite number of them.

My question, Why does it matter?
"Secular schools can never be tolerated because such schools have no religious instruction, and a general moral instruction without a religious foundation is built on air...we need believing people."
[Adolf Hitler, April 26, 1933]

Gollum
Student

Post #5

Post by Gollum »

7. Was there anything else?

ENIGMA
Sage

Re: Gills to Lungs???

Post #6

Post by ENIGMA »

YEC wrote:The evolutionist have told me that through a process of mutations the gills in a fish were replaced with lungs.

My question,
Exactly how many milliliters of water must one take out of a river before it ceases to be a river?
Gilt and Vetinari shared a look. It said: While I loathe you and all of your personal philosophy to a depth unplummable by any line, I will credit you at least with not being Crispin Horsefry [The big loud idiot in the room].

-Going Postal, Discworld

LillSnopp
Scholar

Post #7

Post by LillSnopp »

Exactly how many milliliters of water must one take out of a river before it ceases to be a river?
An amount that equates to the volume of the river. (past sense)

Chem
Apprentice

Post #8

Post by Chem »

The evolutionist have told me that through a process of mutations the gills in a fish were replaced with lungs.

My question,
Your point? Evolution has plenty of time in which to produce such a change.
"I'd rather know than believe" Carl Sagan.

"The worst Government is the most moral. One composed of cynics is often very tolerant and humane. But when the fanatics are on top there is no limit to oppression." H.L. Mencken

ENIGMA
Sage

Post #9

Post by ENIGMA »

LillSnopp wrote:
An amount that equates to the volume of the river. (past sense)
No, most certainly before that time it ceases to be a river and could more appropriately be termed a creek or a stream.

A dry river bed with a drop of water added does not a river make.
Gilt and Vetinari shared a look. It said: While I loathe you and all of your personal philosophy to a depth unplummable by any line, I will credit you at least with not being Crispin Horsefry [The big loud idiot in the room].

-Going Postal, Discworld

gluadys
Student

Re: Gills to Lungs???

Post #10

Post by gluadys »

YEC wrote:The evolutionist have told me that through a process of mutations the gills in a fish were replaced with lungs.

My question,
Which evolutionist? Must have been a poorly informed one. Gills never changed into lungs.

Some fish have both gills and lungs. Some fish have swim bladders instead of lungs, and in the place that lungs appear in lungfish. It is likely that lungs (which were fairly common in ancient fish) evolved into swim bladders.

Sharks have neither lungs nor swim bladders. That is one reason they must always keep swimming. Without an internal air sac of some kind, they have no other means to regulate their position in the water column.

Embryonic pharyngeal pouches appear in both fish embryos and mammalian embryos (in fact, in all chordate embryos). These structures develop into gills in fish, and into parts of the throat, jaw and inner ear in mammals.