Infinite time?

Creationism, Evolution, and other science issues

Moderator: Moderators

Is time infinite?

Yes, but only to the future (the past is finite)
34%
Yes, the past and future are infinite
28%
Neither the past or future are infinite
38%

Total votes: 29

charris
Student

Infinite time?

Post #1

Post by charris »

It seems to me possible that there is an infinite time, specifically that of the past. All that would be required is for a previous event or cause (depending on you interpretation of QM).

I mentioned this, and was met with the objection, "If the past was infinite, then it would have taken an infinite amount of time to get here." I personally think this objection is pointless, so maybe if you think this is the case you could expound upon it. If you disagree, then if you could post your reasons as well I would appreciate it.

Also, if you disagree because of other reasons, I would like to hear them.
"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use." - Galileo Galilei
"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence." - Carl Sagan
"Thought, without the data on which to structure that thought, leads nowhere." - Victor Stenger

Dimmesdale
Sage

Re: Infinite time?

Post #201

Post by Dimmesdale »

Kala or Time is Endless. Both ways, it has no beginning or end. However, this has to be seen in a wider perspective.

Consider the example of a white wall. Then imagine the universe as a three pronged figure, like a trident.

In the center of the Trident is the Present. It is bordered on the left by "the past" and by the right by "the future."

This Present is actually just a narrow present, relative to a given observer's vantage point. Just so, the right sided prong may be taken to be another's present, and so on. Draw more tridents, any which way. Fill up the whole endless screen. There will always be more space to draw, as this Wall is the ETERNAL AND INFINITE PRESENT THAT NEVER CHANGES.

Furthermore, you can "Link", "Rearrange" and manipulate all such Tridents any which way, and you will not exhaust the screen, since the screen itself is not in time in space, but provides the Substratum for time and space...... Time and Space are simply impositions..... But yes, seen in this perspective time is "inexhaustible" to put it more technically.....
"If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough." - Albert Einstein

Clownboat
Savant

Post #202

Post by Clownboat »

LittleNipper wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 12:50 pm I stated that the Bible isn't a rule book but a love letter from GOD. I also stated that the Bible had many authors over several millennia, and yet fully agrees with itself without flaw. This is entirely different from books like the book of Mormon and the Quran which had but one individual in control of the various text. Joseph Smith finding, collecting, and translating all the text of the former, and Muhammad revealed all text of the latter.
I know... you completely talked about things that had nothing to do with the post you quoted.
You believe some really weird things about your preferred holy book by the way. Have you read the book yourself?

PS. I find it very strange that you seem surprised when you see differences in competing holy books. Why on earth would anyone expect competing holy books to be similar? Therefore, differences are expected and not something relevant to show if said holy book is not the work of the humans that penned them. Faith is required in order to believe in a religious holy book, not that it differs from that which is competes against.
You can give a man a fish and he will be fed for a day, or you can teach a man to pray for fish and he will starve to death.

I blame man for codifying those rules into a book which allowed superstitious people to perpetuate a barbaric practice. Rules that must be followed or face an invisible beings wrath. - KenRU

It is sad that in an age of freedom some people are enslaved by the nomads of old. - Marco

If you are unable to demonstrate that what you believe is true and you absolve yourself of the burden of proof, then what is the purpose of your arguments? - brunumb

LittleNipper
Scholar

Post #203

Post by LittleNipper »

Clownboat wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 11:03 am
LittleNipper wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 12:50 pm I stated that the Bible isn't a rule book but a love letter from GOD. I also stated that the Bible had many authors over several millennia, and yet fully agrees with itself without flaw. This is entirely different from books like the book of Mormon and the Quran which had but one individual in control of the various text. Joseph Smith finding, collecting, and translating all the text of the former, and Muhammad revealed all text of the latter.
I know... you completely talked about things that had nothing to do with the post you quoted.
You believe some really weird things about your preferred holy book by the way. Have you read the book yourself?

PS. I find it very strange that you seem surprised when you see differences in competing holy books. Why on earth would anyone expect competing holy books to be similar? Therefore, differences are expected and not something relevant to show if said holy book is not the work of the humans that penned them. Faith is required in order to believe in a religious holy book, not that it differs from that which is competes against.
I have read the Bible and I also did a Bible transcription, as a means to better understand what was written therein. The book of Mormon and the Quran depend on the Bible as a foundation/ starting point. The opposite is not true. The Bible stands entirely on its own merit.

Clownboat
Savant

Post #204

Post by Clownboat »

LittleNipper wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 3:42 pm I have read the Bible and I also did a Bible transcription, as a means to better understand what was written therein. The book of Mormon and the Quran depend on the Bible as a foundation/ starting point. The opposite is not true. The Bible stands entirely on its own merit.
Let's examine your logic.
Look at these examples of false religious promotional material that both rely on the religious promotional material that I believe is true. Therefore, these false books are evidence that my religious holy book is true. :shock:

The biblical account seems to be dependent on early Sumerian, Assyrian and Babylonian epics for its information. Which doesn't make those beliefs true. Therefore this lack of logic also fails for yourself.

You must not worship any other gods except me. “You must not make any idols".
I am not willing to idolize the human book that is the Bible like you are doing here. I hope the Bible god isn't real for your sake!
You can give a man a fish and he will be fed for a day, or you can teach a man to pray for fish and he will starve to death.

I blame man for codifying those rules into a book which allowed superstitious people to perpetuate a barbaric practice. Rules that must be followed or face an invisible beings wrath. - KenRU

It is sad that in an age of freedom some people are enslaved by the nomads of old. - Marco

If you are unable to demonstrate that what you believe is true and you absolve yourself of the burden of proof, then what is the purpose of your arguments? - brunumb

LittleNipper
Scholar

Post #205

Post by LittleNipper »

Clownboat wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 12:50 pm
LittleNipper wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 3:42 pm I have read the Bible and I also did a Bible transcription, as a means to better understand what was written therein. The book of Mormon and the Quran depend on the Bible as a foundation/ starting point. The opposite is not true. The Bible stands entirely on its own merit.
Let's examine your logic.
Look at these examples of false religious promotional material that both rely on the religious promotional material that I believe is true. Therefore, these false books are evidence that my religious holy book is true. :shock:

The biblical account seems to be dependent on early Sumerian, Assyrian and Babylonian epics for its information. Which doesn't make those beliefs true. Therefore this lack of logic also fails for yourself.

You must not worship any other gods except me. “You must not make any idols".
I am not willing to idolize the human book that is the Bible like you are doing here. I hope the Bible god isn't real for your sake!
Early Sumerian, Assyrian and Babylonian epics distorted the truth for their information, and GOD revealed the whole truth to Moses. And how would you know of GOD and HIS saving grace without HIS WORD?

Clownboat
Savant

Post #206

Post by Clownboat »

LittleNipper wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 6:57 am Early Sumerian, Assyrian and Babylonian epics distorted the truth for their information, and GOD revealed the whole truth to Moses. And how would you know of GOD and HIS saving grace without HIS WORD?
This is a statement of your faith. I'm sure you are proud of it, but you must realize how meaningless it is outside of how it sounds in your own head. Feel free to have faith in Bigfoot and make faith claims about how Bigfoot lives and avoids detection for all I care.

Until you can show that you speak the truth, your claims are meaningless (again, outside of your own head where I'm sure they sound great).

LittleNipper
Scholar

Post #207

Post by LittleNipper »

Clownboat wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 11:57 am
LittleNipper wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 6:57 am Early Sumerian, Assyrian and Babylonian epics distorted the truth for their information, and GOD revealed the whole truth to Moses. And how would you know of GOD and HIS saving grace without HIS WORD?
This is a statement of your faith. I'm sure you are proud of it, but you must realize how meaningless it is outside of how it sounds in your own head. Feel free to have faith in Bigfoot and make faith claims about how Bigfoot lives and avoids detection for all I care.

Until you can show that you speak the truth, your claims are meaningless (again, outside of your own head where I'm sure they sound great).
Until you can show that you speak the truth, your claims are meaningless to me and your boat has a GOD shaped hole in it...

Tcg
Savant

Post #208

Post by Tcg »

[Replying to LittleNipper in post #207]

Here's a BOAT.

HERE'S a boat WITH a god shaped HOLE in IT.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

LittleNipper
Scholar

Post #209

Post by LittleNipper »

Tcg wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 10:38 am [Replying to LittleNipper in post #207]

Here's a BOAT.

HERE'S a boat WITH a god shaped HOLE in IT.

Tcg
I would suggest a reading of the book of Daniel. Atheists like to suggest it was a forgery; however, their reason for this is that it so accurately predicts future, that it is either a later forgery or the absolute proof that GOD knows the future before it happens and expressed such events to Daniel in visions, who then wrote them down.

Clownboat
Savant

Post #210

Post by Clownboat »

LittleNipper wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 4:31 pm I would suggest a reading of the book of Daniel. Atheists like to suggest it was a forgery; however, their reason for this is that it so accurately predicts future, that it is either a later forgery or the absolute proof that GOD knows the future before it happens and expressed such events to Daniel in visions, who then wrote them down.
Your claim about atheists is not accurate. I prophecy that you will not amend your thinking though, because atheists are the chosen opponents of Christians to unite against. Something that is very common in cults I would add (Us vs Them thinking).

While some conservative scholars hold that Daniel existed and his book was written in the 6th century BCE, most scholars agree that Daniel is not a historical figure and that much of the book is a cryptic allusion to the reign of the 2nd century BCE Hellenistic king Antiochus IV Epiphanes.

Sorry, but you can't accurately blame those god hating atheists or whatever it is you tell yourself that atheists do for this one.

Via faith, which is a mechanism in order to believe in false things, you can believe whatever you want about humans predicting the future or returning from the dead or that snakes and donkeys at one time spoke, but you can't expect others to respect such a mechanism. You made that bed and you need to sleep in it.

Furthermore, you are an atheist yourself as far as god concepts go, less one. An atheist is just like you, they just take their lack of god beliefs one god further then yourself. You have more in common with atheists than you realize. You are literally over 99% atheist and less then 1% believer in the gods. This takes the perceived sting out of your inaccurate claim about atheists IMO.