Infinite time?

Creationism, Evolution, and other science issues

Moderator: Moderators

Is time infinite?

Yes, but only to the future (the past is finite)
34%
Yes, the past and future are infinite
28%
Neither the past or future are infinite
38%

Total votes: 29

charris
Student

Infinite time?

Post #1

Post by charris »

It seems to me possible that there is an infinite time, specifically that of the past. All that would be required is for a previous event or cause (depending on you interpretation of QM).

I mentioned this, and was met with the objection, "If the past was infinite, then it would have taken an infinite amount of time to get here." I personally think this objection is pointless, so maybe if you think this is the case you could expound upon it. If you disagree, then if you could post your reasons as well I would appreciate it.

Also, if you disagree because of other reasons, I would like to hear them.
"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use." - Galileo Galilei
"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence." - Carl Sagan
"Thought, without the data on which to structure that thought, leads nowhere." - Victor Stenger

LittleNipper
Scholar

Re: Infinite time?

Post #191

Post by LittleNipper »

Clownboat wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 3:56 pm
LittleNipper wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 7:47 am I'm not sure of a response. I believe the TRIUNE GOD has always existed; however, I believe that time itself was created by GOD. Time is a measurement of events (travel being one of them) and not existence. So, until GOD chose to perform an act, was there any time space continuum? It would appear not. GOD created it as some point of HIS existence.
Which god concept did this and how did you come about this knowledge? This is amazing! Unless you invented this idea out of thin air that is. If that is the case, I would like to unsubscribe from your newsletter.
The only GOD that created everything according to HIS WORD found recorded in the Bible. Colossians 1:16
King James Version
16 For by HIM (CHRIST/MESSIAH) were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible, whether they be thrones, or dominions, or principalities, or powers: all things were created by HIM, and for HIM:

Clownboat
Savant

Post #192

Post by Clownboat »

LittleNipper wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 6:30 am The only GOD that created everything according to HIS WORD found recorded in the Bible. Colossians 1:16
Your logic is flawed I'm afraid.
LittleNipper: Look at this piece of religious promotional material about my preferred God, notice how no other Gods are making claims within it.
The rest of us: :giggle:
Perhaps you meant something else, because your god concept would be false for not being recorded in the Veda according to your way of thinking.
King James Version
16 For by HIM (CHRIST/MESSIAH) were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible, whether they be thrones, or dominions, or principalities, or powers: all things were created by HIM, and for HIM:
Those are just words from one of many religious holy books though, so I'm a bit confused.
Are religious holy books to be trusted?
You can give a man a fish and he will be fed for a day, or you can teach a man to pray for fish and he will starve to death.

I blame man for codifying those rules into a book which allowed superstitious people to perpetuate a barbaric practice. Rules that must be followed or face an invisible beings wrath. - KenRU

It is sad that in an age of freedom some people are enslaved by the nomads of old. - Marco

If you are unable to demonstrate that what you believe is true and you absolve yourself of the burden of proof, then what is the purpose of your arguments? - brunumb

LittleNipper
Scholar

Post #193

Post by LittleNipper »

Clownboat wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 2:27 pm
LittleNipper wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 6:30 am The only GOD that created everything according to HIS WORD found recorded in the Bible. Colossians 1:16
Your logic is flawed I'm afraid.
LittleNipper: Look at this piece of religious promotional material about my preferred God, notice how no other Gods are making claims within it.
The rest of us: :giggle:
Perhaps you meant something else, because your god concept would be false for not being recorded in the Veda according to your way of thinking.
King James Version
Those are just words from one of many religious holy books though, so I'm a bit confused.
Are religious holy books to be trusted?
Whose words are in the Veda? GOD's words or man's words? The Bible can be trusted.

Clownboat
Savant

Post #194

Post by Clownboat »

LittleNipper wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 6:36 am Whose words are in the Veda?
All books throughout all time were written by humans. Therefore, the words in all books are the words of the humans that wrote them. Would you like to make a case for an exception to this fact?
The Bible can be trusted.
What a compelling argument! :roll:

Please show that you speak the truth:
Matthew 27:52-53
New King James Version
52 and the graves were opened; and many bodies of the saints who had fallen asleep were raised; 53 and coming out of the graves after His resurrection, they went into the holy city and appeared to many.
You can give a man a fish and he will be fed for a day, or you can teach a man to pray for fish and he will starve to death.

I blame man for codifying those rules into a book which allowed superstitious people to perpetuate a barbaric practice. Rules that must be followed or face an invisible beings wrath. - KenRU

It is sad that in an age of freedom some people are enslaved by the nomads of old. - Marco

If you are unable to demonstrate that what you believe is true and you absolve yourself of the burden of proof, then what is the purpose of your arguments? - brunumb

LittleNipper
Scholar

Post #195

Post by LittleNipper »

Clownboat wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 12:02 pm
All books throughout all time were written by humans. Therefore, the words in all books are the words of the humans that wrote them. Would you like to make a case for an exception to this fact?

New King James Version
52 and the graves were opened; and many bodies of the saints who had fallen asleep were raised; 53 and coming out of the graves after His resurrection, they went into the holy city and appeared to many.
Contrary to popular belief, the Bible is not a rule book, nor a history book. The Bible tells us about a person. It tells us about GOD, concerning HIS SON and how we can establish a relationship with HIM. It is a love letter from GOD, revealing the sorrowful history of humankind ---- yet despite this, through thousands of years GOD has patiently persevered and loves us still. It does contain law and it does contain history, but that is not its focus. (For that matter, it also contains some eloquent prose and poetry.) Perhaps the Bible could also be called a guide for living, yet it was written over a period of thousands of years, by many different authors. And yet Christians call it God’s Word?

Absolutely! A reasonable way to understand this is to look at St. Paul’s Cathedral in London. Sir Christopher Wren was the architect. He didn’t lay every brick down in the building, others did that work — but it was all designed and orchestrated by him. Likewise, God is the architectural engineer of the Bible. One of the things that convicts me of the authenticity of the Bible actually lies in that very fact that it was composed by different authors over thousands of years. Because the most remarkable thing is that you can spot common themes, you can see references to CHRIST, some more explicit than others, through thousands of years of writing — it is something you simply couldn’t orchestrate as a human, there is no way it could have been planned or crafted by mankind.

The challenging nature of it and the slightly strange arrangement of it all also reveals to me its authenticity. When humans arrange things there tends to be a clinical structure to it, whereas God’s ways tend to be, in my experience, more sporadic and organic — look at examples in nature of forests and mountains compared to the streets of New York to see what I mean. The Bible reflects this organic composition.

I would also highly recommend reading The Case For CHRIST, as Lee Strobel went into painstaking detail to examine the evidence of how reliable the four gospels are in their accounts of the life of CHRIST. The findings are remarkable in how they testify to how much more accurate the Bible’s gospels are than many other contemporary historical documents that are largely unquestioned by scholars and the general populous. The Bible stands up remarkably well under scrutiny.

What then makes Christianity different to any other religion?

There are many answers to this, but put most simply, despite common assumption, Christianity is not just rules and rituals. It is not about the number of prayers or amount of money donated, it is not about leading a rigorously self-disciplined or outwardly perfect life (though beneficial). It is not just a prescriptive code for a good life. At its core, it is about love, grace and forgiveness — how we are shown that through JESUS CHRIST and how we may offer that to others. It is about a state of heart, about truly knowing the CREATOR and our reason for being. True Christianity is real and living, and has to be experienced to be understood — words can be inadequate. It is to be set free from the rat race, from the pursuit of wealth, popularity and status. It changes our identity from what we do and how we are seen by others to whom we are loved by and how we are seen by GOD — a precious child worth dying for. It is, not about grand buildings, big ceremonies, and libraries of complex doctrine. Its simplicity is really rather beautiful.

Most religions involve following steps and processes to achieve enlightenment or acceptance by GOD. In Christianity, salvation is not achieved or earned. It is freely bestowed by GOD to those who ask for it and acknowledge their need of it. It is, at the risk of sounding cliché, a relationship not a religion. GOD is near, not distant. A FATHER, not a dictator. We don’t do our best and hope for the best that we’ve been good enough. Christians acknowledge we’ll never be good enough, and accept the free gift of grace through faith in the finished work of CHRIST. And frankly, no other "religious" text (purporting to come from GOD) reveals this.

Clownboat
Savant

Post #196

Post by Clownboat »

LittleNipper wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 11:00 am

New King James Version
Contrary to popular belief, the Bible is not a rule book, nor a history book. The Bible tells us about a person. It tells us about GOD, concerning HIS SON and how we can establish a relationship with HIM. It is a love letter from GOD, revealing the sorrowful history of humankind ---- yet despite this, through thousands of years GOD has patiently persevered and loves us still. It does contain law and it does contain history, but that is not its focus. (For that matter, it also contains some eloquent prose and poetry.) Perhaps the Bible could also be called a guide for living, yet it was written over a period of thousands of years, by many different authors. And yet Christians call it God’s Word?

Absolutely! A reasonable way to understand this is to look at St. Paul’s Cathedral in London. Sir Christopher Wren was the architect. He didn’t lay every brick down in the building, others did that work — but it was all designed and orchestrated by him. Likewise, God is the architectural engineer of the Bible. One of the things that convicts me of the authenticity of the Bible actually lies in that very fact that it was composed by different authors over thousands of years. Because the most remarkable thing is that you can spot common themes, you can see references to CHRIST, some more explicit than others, through thousands of years of writing — it is something you simply couldn’t orchestrate as a human, there is no way it could have been planned or crafted by mankind.

The challenging nature of it and the slightly strange arrangement of it all also reveals to me its authenticity. When humans arrange things there tends to be a clinical structure to it, whereas God’s ways tend to be, in my experience, more sporadic and organic — look at examples in nature of forests and mountains compared to the streets of New York to see what I mean. The Bible reflects this organic composition.

I would also highly recommend reading The Case For CHRIST, as Lee Strobel went into painstaking detail to examine the evidence of how reliable the four gospels are in their accounts of the life of CHRIST. The findings are remarkable in how they testify to how much more accurate the Bible’s gospels are than many other contemporary historical documents that are largely unquestioned by scholars and the general populous. The Bible stands up remarkably well under scrutiny.

There are many answers to this, but put most simply, despite common assumption, Christianity is not just rules and rituals. It is not about the number of prayers or amount of money donated, it is not about leading a rigorously self-disciplined or outwardly perfect life (though beneficial). It is not just a prescriptive code for a good life. At its core, it is about love, grace and forgiveness — how we are shown that through JESUS CHRIST and how we may offer that to others. It is about a state of heart, about truly knowing the CREATOR and our reason for being. True Christianity is real and living, and has to be experienced to be understood — words can be inadequate. It is to be set free from the rat race, from the pursuit of wealth, popularity and status. It changes our identity from what we do and how we are seen by others to whom we are loved by and how we are seen by GOD — a precious child worth dying for. It is, not about grand buildings, big ceremonies, and libraries of complex doctrine. Its simplicity is really rather beautiful.

Most religions involve following steps and processes to achieve enlightenment or acceptance by GOD. In Christianity, salvation is not achieved or earned. It is freely bestowed by GOD to those who ask for it and acknowledge their need of it. It is, at the risk of sounding cliché, a relationship not a religion. GOD is near, not distant. A FATHER, not a dictator. We don’t do our best and hope for the best that we’ve been good enough. Christians acknowledge we’ll never be good enough, and accept the free gift of grace through faith in the finished work of CHRIST. And frankly, no other "religious" text (purporting to come from GOD) reveals this.
Why did you quote my post?
Please be more careful as to the post you hit 'reply' to if you are not going to address the said post.
Perhaps ask your God to help you form replies? If your level of debate were to improve, that would be something!

William
Savant

Post #197

Post by William »

"Infinite time" is a contradiction. One cannot have one as well as the other.

LittleNipper
Scholar

Post #198

Post by LittleNipper »

Clownboat wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 12:30 pm
LittleNipper wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 11:00 am

New King James Version

Why did you quote my post?
Please be more careful as to the post you hit 'reply' to if you are not going to address the said post.
Perhaps ask your God to help you form replies? If your level of debate were to improve, that would be something!
I think you missed something. Perhaps you just need to read your own comments and then reread my answer. I spent a lot of time that I believe would not only help your unbelief, but encourage others to read the Bible.

Clownboat
Savant

Post #199

Post by Clownboat »

LittleNipper wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 12:53 pm I think you missed something. Perhaps you just need to read your own comments and then reread my answer. I spent a lot of time that I believe would not only help your unbelief, but encourage others to read the Bible.
Like I said, you need to be more careful. You quoted a post of mine for some reason, but didn't address the points within it. I assume you quoted my post by mistake.

Why I feel this way is due to what you failed to address:
1. All books throughout all time were written by humans. Therefore, the words in all books are the words of the humans that wrote them. Would you like to make a case for an exception to this fact?

2. Please show that you speak the truth:
New King James Version

What you addressed were things that you feel make Christianity different when compared to competing religions. Surely you understand that it would be a silly argument to say that religions don't have differences. Yet here you are, being proud of just that while ignoring points 1 and 2. (2 being the important one as I can't imagine you actually thinking that something other than a human wrote a book. Can't know for sure though as you did ask: "Whose words are in the Veda?").

All words in all books are the words of humans, which is why I asked: "Would you like to make a case for an exception to this fact?" (Within the post you quoted... by mistake perhaps?)

No Clownboat, I would not like to argue for an exception nor to show that I speak the truth. Instead, I'm going to make a random post about the Bible being a rulebook and a story about a god and his son, oh... and love. :roll:

I'm very familiar with the book you are referring to by the way.

LittleNipper
Scholar

Post #200

Post by LittleNipper »

Clownboat wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 3:39 pm
LittleNipper wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 12:53 pm I think you missed something. Perhaps you just need to read your own comments and then reread my answer. I spent a lot of time that I believe would not only help your unbelief, but encourage others to read the Bible.
Like I said, you need to be more careful. You quoted a post of mine for some reason, but didn't address the points within it. I assume you quoted my post by mistake.

Why I feel this way is due to what you failed to address:
1. All books throughout all time were written by humans. Therefore, the words in all books are the words of the humans that wrote them. Would you like to make a case for an exception to this fact?

2. Please show that you speak the truth:
New King James Version

What you addressed were things that you feel make Christianity different when compared to competing religions. Surely you understand that it would be a silly argument to say that religions don't have differences. Yet here you are, being proud of just that while ignoring points 1 and 2. (2 being the important one as I can't imagine you actually thinking that something other than a human wrote a book. Can't know for sure though as you did ask: "Whose words are in the Veda?").

All words in all books are the words of humans, which is why I asked: "Would you like to make a case for an exception to this fact?" (Within the post you quoted... by mistake perhaps?)

No Clownboat, I would not like to argue for an exception nor to show that I speak the truth. Instead, I'm going to make a random post about the Bible being a rulebook and a story about a god and his son, oh... and love. :roll:

I'm very familiar with the book you are referring to by the way.
I stated that the Bible isn't a rule book but a love letter from GOD. I also stated that the Bible had many authors over several millennia, and yet fully agrees with itself without flaw. This is entirely different from books like the book of Mormon and the Quran which had but one individual in control of the various text. Joseph Smith finding, collecting, and translating all the text of the former, and Muhammad revealed all text of the latter.