Revelation 11- 2 Witnesses, what do you think?

Dedicated to the scholarly study of the bible as text and the discussion thereof

Moderator: Moderators

Heather330

Revelation 11- 2 Witnesses, what do you think?

Post #1

Post by Heather330 »

Hi everyone! *waves* *opens Bible*

I was on Facebook and a friend sent me a message about a page on FB where a group is claiming to have found the 2 Witnesses. Here is the message:
Hi everyone. There’s a 30 day Challenge going on at facebook.com/wefoundthem where a group is challenging internet users to help them spread the message that they found the Two Witnesses spoken of in Revelation 11 and they can prove it. So, I’m helping them with the challenge J They have a neat video and free info pack so it’s worth checking out. Here’s the site again http://www.facebook.com/wefoundthem
So, what do you all think? Have you studied Revelation 11? Who do you think are or were the 2 Witnesses?

All opinions appreciated. This groups message is "interesting" ...

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Re: Revelation 11- 2 Witnesses, what do you think?

Post #2

Post by JehovahsWitness »

Heather330 wrote: Who do you think are or were the 2 Witnesses? ...
The book of Revelation is highly SYMBOLIC (meaning many of its features are not to be taken literally). The "two witnesses" far from being two people we will find in America, Africa or some other place, represent all anointed Christians living on earth during this present time.

Adstar
Under Probation

Post #3

Post by Adstar »

Heather330 wrote:Hi everyone! *waves* *opens Bible*

I was on Facebook and a friend sent me a message about a page on FB where a group is claiming to have found the 2 Witnesses. Here is the message:
Hi everyone. There’s a 30 day Challenge going on at facebook.com/wefoundthem where a group is challenging internet users to help them spread the message that they found the Two Witnesses spoken of in Revelation 11 and they can prove it. So, I’m helping them with the challenge J They have a neat video and free info pack so it’s worth checking out. Here’s the site again http://www.facebook.com/wefoundthem
So, what do you all think? Have you studied Revelation 11? Who do you think are or were the 2 Witnesses?

All opinions appreciated. This groups message is "interesting" ...
The two witnesses will come. And they may be alive today. But i would take any claim from the link you have given as to the actual identity with scepticism. There will be many false prophets in the end times.

Remember scripture says these two witnesses will be very unpopular during their time of prophecy and that they will eventually be killed in Jerusalem.

All Praise The Ancient Of Days

lani

Post #4

Post by lani »

I heard this one today:

John 5:39: Search the scriptures (Old Testament); for in them ye think ye have eternal life: and they are they which testify (witness) of me.

Mat 24:14: And this gospel (New Testament) of the kingdom shall be preached in all the world for a ""witness"" unto all nations; and then shall the end come.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #5

lani wrote:I heard this one today:

John 5:39: Search the scriptures (Old Testament); for in them ye think ye have eternal life: and they are they which testify (witness) of me.

Mat 24:14: And this gospel (New Testament) of the kingdom shall be preached in all the world for a ""witness"" unto all nations; and then shall the end come.
As I am one of God's Witnesses I can testify to the existence of people (Christians) witnessesing about the Good news.

Learn more...
http://www.getphpbb.com/phpbb/viewtopic ... &mforum=jw

lani

Post #6

Post by lani »

And this:

The two prophets of revelation 11 could be Jesus and John the Baptist. They prophesised for The 1260 days and then were killed. Think about "drinking and being merry whilst exchanging gifts".

lani

Post #7

Post by lani »

JehovahsWitness wrote:

As I am one of God's Witnesses I can testify to the existence of people (Christians) witnessesing about the Good news.

Learn more...
I used to think the same thing. But there are thing's Jehovahs Witnesses do not believe, such as the flesh ressurection of Christ. And how could Jehovahs Witnesses be two witnessess?

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #8

lani wrote:
JehovahsWitness wrote:

Learn more...
I used to think the same thing. But there are thing's Jehovahs Witnesses do not believe, such as the flesh ressurection of Christ. And how could Jehovahs Witnesses be two witnessess?
The number is symbolic.

S-word
Scholar

Post #9

Post by S-word »

In the transfiguration of Jesus on the mountain, it was Moses and Elijah who appeared to him. and the two witnesses spoken of in Revelation 11: Have the power to shut up the heavens so that there will be no rain during the time they proclaim God's message, this was the power given to Elijah. They also have authority over the springs of water, to turn them into blood, and to strike the earth with every kind of plague as often as they wish. These were the powers given to Moses.

The JW's once believed that their two magazines, the Watch Tower and the Awake, were the two witnesses, and I believe that Herbert. W. Armstrong, also believed that his two magazines, of which the "Plain Truth" was one, were the two witnesses.

Keef
Student

Post #10

Post by Keef »

Heather330 wrote:
As is wisely said above: Revelation is highly symbolic, and trying to analyse or project onto it is likely to cause confusion or worse.

Those folks are not going to find the two witnesses, but they may find some seriously confused people. The two witnesses, according to Peake's Commentary (probably one of the more reliable) are either Moses and Elijah, or Enoch and Elijah. It is a reference to Jewish apocalyptic literature.

Peake adds that "the three and a half years have no apparent explanation or origin, as the duration of the final apocalypitc woe.

In short, I think speculating on this passage isn't likely to go anywhere meaningful.