Does religion ___ have any unforgivable sins?

Argue for and against religions and philosophies which are not Christian

Moderator: Moderators

davidwr

Does religion ___ have any unforgivable sins?

Post #1

Post by davidwr »

Let's develop a list of religions, sects, denominations, and other groups that have "unforgivable sins."

[Edit] Oops, I didn't check that "Non-Christian Religions and Philosophies" is in a debate section. I can't find an appropriate discussion forum for this. Would the first administrator to see this be kind enough to move it to the most-appropriate forum? Thanks.

bernee51
Site Supporter

Re: Does religion ___ have any unforgivable sins?

Post #2

Post by bernee51 »

davidwr wrote:Let's develop a list of religions, sects, denominations, and other groups that have "unforgivable sins."
Why would you want to do that?

[Edit] Oops, I didn't check that "Non-Christian Religions and Philosophies" is in a debate section. I can't find an appropriate discussion forum for this. Would the first administrator to see this be kind enough to move it to the most-appropriate forum? Thanks.[/quote]
"Whatever you are totally ignorant of, assert to be the explanation of everything else"

William James quoting Dr. Hodgson

"When I see I am nothing, that is wisdom. When I see I am everything, that is love. My life is a movement between these two."

Nisargadatta Maharaj

cnorman18

Re: Does religion ___ have any unforgivable sins?

Post #3

Post by cnorman18 »

davidwr wrote: Let's develop a list of religions, sects, denominations, and other groups that have "unforgivable sins."
Well, I would wonder "why" as well, but I'll start -- though probably not with the kind of answer you anticipated.

In the Jewish religion, sins can only be forgiven by the person or being sinned against. That means, among other things, that God Himself cannot forgive all sins. If I punch you in the nose, who is God to forgive me? That sin must be forgiven by you, and only you, or it is not to be forgiven at all. No one else has the right. God can forgive sins against Himself -- failures to honor vows, ritual "sins," and so on -- but not personal sins against other people. That is why, in the ten days between Rosh Hashanah and Yom Kippur, which we call the High Holy Days or the Days of Awe, Jews ask the people in their lives to forgive them for anything they may have done during the year preceding. That forgiveness can be obtained in only that way; on Yom Kippur, we ask God for forgiveness for our sins against Him. (All of this is also why we Jews don't talk about "sin" as much as Christians in the first place. It's a different concept.)

This is why even Christians, I think, often feel a certain revulsion when some convicted murderer taunts his victim's family with "God has forgiven me; why can't you?" God has no right to forgive him, and I think everyone instinctively feels that claim to be fraudulent and self-serving, not to mention hypocritical.

This is also why Jews do not generally respond to the observation that the Holocaust should be "forgiven." We have no right. As Elie Wiesel, himself a Holocaust survivor, once said, "Ask the six million for forgiveness."

The corollary, of course, is that murder, in the Jewish faith, is an unforgivable sin. The only person with the right or the authority to forgive it is dead -- and the dead forgive nothing.

It's worth noting that Jews don't claim to know the consequences of unforgiven sin of whatever kind. Hell isn't in our vocabulary, and we do not claim to know how or if God will judge anyone, what that judgment means or will entail, or what happens after we die. We think it's better to be good than bad, and to be forgiven rather than not, for the sake of goodness itself -- never mind rewards and punishments.

Kuan
Site Supporter

Post #4

Post by Kuan »

Mormons believe in only one unforgivable sin. That is, having a perfect knowledge and testimony of the truth and denying it.
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."
- Voltaire

Kung may ayaw, may dahilan. Kung may gusto, may paraan.

Jacob Simonsky
Apprentice

Post #5

Post by Jacob Simonsky »

mormon boy51 wrote:Mormons believe in only one unforgivable sin. That is, having a perfect knowledge and testimony of the truth and denying it.

No problem it seems because where, on earth, is any PERFECT truth? They are all imperfect due to the passage of information from God through the human brain. The brain awareness cannot help but to distort. It's the way we humans are.

Another reason is the word "perfect". It describes an absolute which is illogical in a world where everything moves forward all the time.

Perfect knowledge does not even exist in the lower realms of "heaven". Only the Father can express anything at all which is perfect.
Please do not ask me to provide evidence of what I claim. I have no interest in persuading anyone to believe as I do.

Jew, Christian and Muslim... all equal in G-d's eye.

happy forever
Apprentice

Post #6

Post by happy forever »

James Simmons wrote:
mormon boy51 wrote:Mormons believe in only one unforgivable sin. That is, having a perfect knowledge and testimony of the truth and denying it.

No problem it seems because where, on earth, is any PERFECT truth? They are all imperfect due to the passage of information from God through the human brain. The brain awareness cannot help but to distort. It's the way we humans are.

Another reason is the word "perfect". It describes an absolute which is illogical in a world where everything moves forward all the time.

Perfect knowledge does not even exist in the lower realms of "heaven". Only the Father can express anything at all which is perfect.
Yes, there is one unforgivable sin in all heaven religions "disbelieving The God".

You are perfectly right Mr James. Humans are created to be imperfect and always tend to change and distort the religions of the God but as long as there is imperfection, there is perfection.
The God is The God so do you think He is unable to protect His religion?
If He is unable so he is weak so he is not the god.
If he is able but he wants to leave his religion corrupted, why he sent it from the beginning??
Because The God is The God and because The God id not stupid so,
There must be a perfect religion, must be, must be must be........................

Adstar
Under Probation

Post #7

Post by Adstar »

Disbelieving in God is not an unforgivable sin. One can disbelieve in their lives but still come to believe in God later in life. If disbelieving in God was an unforgivable sin then Christians would not bother sharing their faith with unbelievers.

The only unforgivable sin in Christianity is blasphemy of the Holy Spirit. Once that sin is committed then the sinner will have no forgiveness, ever.

All praise The Ancient Of Days

happy forever
Apprentice

Post #8

Post by happy forever »

Adstar wrote:Disbelieving in God is not an unforgivable sin. One can disbelieve in their lives but still come to believe in God later in life. If disbelieving in God was an unforgivable sin then Christians would not bother sharing their faith with unbelievers.

The only unforgivable sin in Christianity is blasphemy of the Holy Spirit. Once that sin is committed then the sinner will have no forgiveness, ever.

All praise The Ancient Of Days
Who is The God?
The God is the Creator. He creates us for a purpose not in vain.
He gives us mind to know Him, not in vain.
He created this lower life to test us, to know Him, to follow His rules, to believe in His messengers, to believe in His books, to worship Him, not in vain.
He created us with body and soul to live for our body and soul not the body alone not the soul alone and again following his rules and orders and we should obey Him or else this life is in vain.
This life is not in vain.

"We created not the heaven and the earth and all that is between them in play. (16) If We had wished to find a pastime, We could have found it in Our presence - if We ever did. (17) Nay, but We hurl the true against the false, and it doth break its head and lo! it vanisheth. And yours will be woe for that which ye ascribe (unto Him). (18) Unto Him belongeth whosoever is in the heavens and the earth. And those who dwell in His presence are not too proud to worship Him, nor do they weary; (19) They glorify (Him) night and day; they flag not. (20) Or have they chosen Gods from the earth who raise the dead? (21) If there were therein Gods beside Allah, then verily both (the heavens and the earth) had been disordered. Glorified be Allah, the Lord of the Throne, from all that they ascribe (unto Him). (22) He will not be questioned as to that which He doeth, but they will be questioned. (23) Or have they chosen other gods beside Him? say: Bring your proof (of their godhead). This is the Reminder of those with me and those before me, but most of them know not the Truth and so they are averse. (24) And We sent no messenger before thee but We inspired him, (saying): There is no God save Me (Allah), so worship Me. (25) And they say: The Beneficent hath taken unto Himself a son. Be He glorified! Nay, but (those whom they call sons) are honoured slaves; (26) They speak not until He hath spoken, and they act by His command. (27) He knoweth what is before them and what is behind them, and they cannot intercede except for him whom He accepteth, and they quake for awe of Him. (28)" Quran [21-17]

flitzerbiest
Sage

Post #9

Post by flitzerbiest »

The greatest sin in all religions seems to be heresy--believing something other than the prevailing groupthink.

happy forever
Apprentice

Post #10

Post by happy forever »

flitzerbiest wrote:The greatest sin in all religions seems to be heresy--believing something other than the prevailing groupthink.
Former Christian,
We Muslims never never leave our religion, you know why?