Can Christian movies have strong content and profanity??

Religion in TV, Movies, Books, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

whyhate
Student

Can Christian movies have strong content and profanity??

Post #1

Post by whyhate »

My friend and I had a debate, after we were given a very spiritual film:
The Finest Hour... www finesthourthemovie.com, by a Christian friend of ours. The film does not classify itself as a Christian film, but the friend that gave it to us did. He said although the content was extremely STRONG, and it did have cuss words in it, because God and the Devil battled the whole movie (not telling who wins), and many parts was based on the bible; it was a Christian Film. He also said that although not preachy, the messages in the film were quite clear and redeeming. I agreed with everything he said, I just thought the presentation was a bit too real for me. I of course couldn't believe that he would classify this film as Christian. I have never watched a Christian film cuss, nor have I ever seen a Christian film explore subjects the way this did.

My question: Am I wrong? Does strong content and language forfeit a Christian Classification of a movie?

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Post #11

Post by McCulloch »

In the original Greek, the word ὑποκ�ιτής (hupokrités) is not translated but merely transliterated to hypocrite in most English versions. This word, literally means a stage-player, a performer, an actor.

Might there be some merit in Jesus' warnings against this profession? Is it dangerous to one's spirit to have a job pretending to be someone you are not? Particularly if cast into the role of an evil character? Is the idolization of stage-players, hypocrites, consistent with Christian values? Perhaps there is a good reason why the entertainment sub-culture is often at odds with Christian values.
Examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
First Epistle to the Church of the Thessalonians
The truth will make you free.
Gospel of John

Honibaz
Student

Post #12

Post by Honibaz »

Whyhate, you know what, I just remembered that when I read the C.S. Lewis Christian space trilogy, (Out Of The Silent Planet, Peralandra, and That Hideous Strength) there was some cursing written in there. I believe that even the main character, Dr. Ransom, cursed a little during his adventures. That would be a counter-argument to what I wrote previously.

Angel

Re: Can Christian movies have strong content and profanity??

Post #13

Post by Angel »

whyhate wrote:My friend and I had a debate, after we were given a very spiritual film:
The Finest Hour... www finesthourthemovie.com, by a Christian friend of ours. The film does not classify itself as a Christian film, but the friend that gave it to us did. He said although the content was extremely STRONG, and it did have cuss words in it, because God and the Devil battled the whole movie (not telling who wins), and many parts was based on the bible; it was a Christian Film. He also said that although not preachy, the messages in the film were quite clear and redeeming. I agreed with everything he said, I just thought the presentation was a bit too real for me. I of course couldn't believe that he would classify this film as Christian. I have never watched a Christian film cuss, nor have I ever seen a Christian film explore subjects the way this did.

My question: Am I wrong? Does strong content and language forfeit a Christian Classification of a movie?
I answer no to your question. My reason for this is that I find offensive (brutal) content in the OT like people getting dismembered, killing pregnant women and ripping out their babies, etc. If it's okay to include in the Bible then it's okay for Hollywood. I would only call it bad if the Bible said that just the mere mention or watching (as opposed to doing it yourself) was a sin, but I find no mention of that and if it did then that would defeat many parts of the Bible.

david_27

Re: Can Christian movies have strong content and profanity??

Post #14

Post by david_27 »

whyhate wrote:My friend and I had a debate, after we were given a very spiritual film:

movies like ten commandments have false gospel,passion of Jesus has false gospel ie. when satan holds a child and it needs to be proved whether taking positive roles or negative roles is Godly.Can a person enact evil ,so your question lacks too much knowledge when you ask about stong contents because the wrath of God comes because of empty words.

DiscipleOfTruth
Scholar

Post #15

Post by DiscipleOfTruth »

From what I'm hearing it sounds like a christian movie. I think the better question to ask is should a christian movie allow cussing in it? And if not then cussing by itself doesn't take anything away from it, it just becomes a christian movie with something in it that it's not suppose to have.

As for people playing negative roles. If you take someone who hates God irl and if their respectful enough on the surface that a group of believers can work with them then they'd be perfect for a role that plays against God. Why have christians play the evil roles and unbelievers play the christian roles? If all stick to what they are naturally then the acting isn't really acting but the audience doesn't need to know that.

david_27

Post #16

Post by david_27 »

DiscipleOfTruth wrote:From what I'm hearing it sounds like a christian movie. I think the better question to ask is should a christian movie allow cussing in it? And if not then cussing by itself doesn't take anything away from it, it just becomes a christian movie with something in it that it's not suppose to have.

As for people playing negative roles. If you take someone who hates God irl and if their respectful enough on the surface that a group of believers can work with them then they'd be perfect for a role that plays against God. Why have christians play the evil roles and unbelievers play the christian roles? If all stick to what they are naturally then the acting isn't really acting but the audience doesn't need to know that.
respectful enough on the surface means suppressing their anger for God(hypocrisy) from the outside for a movie but inside hating God in mind.
so that a movie is made and a believer on the other hand should work with a hypocrite knowing that that particular unbeliver curses God.How can you work on any project which is religious with a person who curses God?and is making a movie good or evil.Can you give verses from Holy Bible
and what do you mean by "If all stick to what they are naturally then the acting isn't really acting but the audience doesn't need to know that."?what is natural ,does hate comes from nature or should we preach the Gospel to the unbeliveres or should we accept that their ungodliness and hate towards God is natural.your argument is not good at all and is so much ungodly and from satan.

otseng
Savant

Post #17

Post by otseng »

david_27 wrote:your argument is not good at all and is so much ungodly and from satan.
Moderator Comment

Please do not suggest a person's arguments are from Satan. Simply present logical arguments as to why an argument is not good and leave it at that.

Please review the Rules.

Moderator comments do not count as a strike against any posters. They only serve as an acknowledgment that a post report has been received, but has not been judged to warrant a moderator warning against a particular poster.

DiscipleOfTruth
Scholar

Post #18

Post by DiscipleOfTruth »

If someone curses God and you know it but they are respectful in front of you it's not to say you can't try to convert them. It's not against scripture to work with them whether they want to allow their selves to be converted or not. God loves the sinner but hates the sin, numerous scriptures indicate that-especially how in the gospels Jesus would sit himself among the sinners by choice. Using the logic that people who are already well don't need a doctor but rather the sick do. And if you're making a movie for and about God there's nothing wrong with having an unbeliever in the cast. For all you know that movie might be what plays a factor in leading that unbeliever to want to believe in God.

What I mean by have everyone sticking to what they naturally are in acting is exactly that. If someone loves God they play a part that shows that. If someone hates God they play a part that shows that no more or less than what is written in the script ofcourse. Just an idea/personal opinion of mines because sometimes the acting could be a bit better in some God movies. Makes it more realistic in a sense.

I'm not a believer that's why I've put myself in the agnostic's group. It's what I am. I'm only answering the topics scripture according to the best of my knowledge on the Bible with hope to helping someone out.

david_27

Post #19

Post by david_27 »

otseng wrote:
david_27 wrote:your argument is not good at all and is so much ungodly and from satan.
Moderator Comment

Please do not suggest a person's arguments are from Satan. Simply present logical arguments as to why an argument is not good and leave it at that.

Please review the Rules.

Moderator comments do not count as a strike against any posters. They only serve as an acknowledgment that a post report has been received, but has not been judged to warrant a moderator warning against a particular poster.
ok then because of the rules Im going to sign off from this website,because I will not surrender myself to worldly rules and fear of not speaking the truth boldly as all the prophets and apostles did.If an argument is from satan and I am being stopped by rules from speaking what is correct ,I dont belong here.

AcrylicInk
Student

Post #20

Post by AcrylicInk »

I recently read a biography about a man who had a bad childhood and was addicted to alcohol, drugs and crime, but in later life he became a Christian and wrote his life story to help and inspire people in similar situations. His book occasionally contains bad language but I didn't mind because he was recording real life situations with good intentions.

This thread reminds me of a quote I read. I can't remember who said it, or what it was exactly but it was said by a man who was preaching in a church. It goes something like this:

"The world isn't fair: thousands of people die from starvation every day and it's all a load of ****. And the sad thing is you care more about the fact I said a bad word than about all the people who have died since I started taking."