Can Christian movies have strong content and profanity??

Religion in TV, Movies, Books, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

whyhate
Student

Can Christian movies have strong content and profanity??

Post #1

Post by whyhate »

My friend and I had a debate, after we were given a very spiritual film:
The Finest Hour... www finesthourthemovie.com, by a Christian friend of ours. The film does not classify itself as a Christian film, but the friend that gave it to us did. He said although the content was extremely STRONG, and it did have cuss words in it, because God and the Devil battled the whole movie (not telling who wins), and many parts was based on the bible; it was a Christian Film. He also said that although not preachy, the messages in the film were quite clear and redeeming. I agreed with everything he said, I just thought the presentation was a bit too real for me. I of course couldn't believe that he would classify this film as Christian. I have never watched a Christian film cuss, nor have I ever seen a Christian film explore subjects the way this did.

My question: Am I wrong? Does strong content and language forfeit a Christian Classification of a movie?

His Name Is John
Site Supporter

Post #21

Post by His Name Is John »

I think it all depends on if it is presenting the Christian message.

Of God's and Men is a great Christian film, but also a historical drama (and contains one or two uses of the F-word).

The Passion is another great Christian film, but filled with tremendous gore.

I think if it was a Christian film filled with excessive sex, drugs, nudity, violence, and bad language it couldn't really be considered a Christian film, as even if it has a good message, it would be so covered in things considered wrong by Christians.

I can watch some Christian movies and enjoy them (The Passion had amazing cinematography and music - two things that make a great movie for me) but I generally avoid them. Too often they feel preachy about messages we have all heard one hundred times before. I would much rather have Christian movies that dealt with issues people care about, than just the standard 'be nice to people' films.

DiscipleOfTruth
Scholar

Post #22

Post by DiscipleOfTruth »

This is why I strongly believe that every movie should have numerous edited versions to it. If a movie had a version that excluded the things you didn't want to see or hear, and a version that included some of the things you wanted to see and hear, then anyone could watch any movie and have a real sense of satisfaction. The limit as to what could be included or excluded in any alternate version would be the right of those who made the movie and in the discretion of how much they desire to grant the request of any potential viewer. And as long as the original version is mentioned then those who wish to enjoy the originality of it could continue to do so. Hollywood makes alot more money and chances are everyone who watches it will get what they want, everyone wins.

His Name Is John
Site Supporter

Post #23

I have been suggesting that idea of film cuts for about a year now.

Like the Kings Speech which had a PG13 version in the USA with all the swearing cut out.

It would be a great idea, as tons of brilliant movies could be enjoyed by those who don't want to sit through intense gore, sex and bad language.

However in fairness I do think some films (Saving Privet Ryan and films of that sort) should not have an edited version. They work because of the shock value, and if you are not willing to watch that, then in my opinion you shouldn't watch an edited version either.

DiscipleOfTruth
Scholar

Post #24

Post by DiscipleOfTruth »

Well it's more so a way to get any viewer a chance to have the same feeling about the movie that someone else has but without being uncomfortable. I agree that a certain level of editing, depending on the movie, would take away from the movie and make it seem like something entirely different. Which is why there would probably need to be some kind of limits. But at the same time, no matter what version the movie has, not everyone is going to like it. But long as there is a version that anyone can like then there is a chance that they can get the same thing out of it as anyone else.

His Name Is John
Site Supporter

Post #25

If every movie had a PG-13 version (apart from those which would really not work with it eg. Saving Privet Ryan etc.) then I think most people would be able to enjoy most films and be able to relax while watching them (without constantly expecting violence, gore, swearing, nudity or sex.)

PREEST
Scholar

Post #26

Post by PREEST »

A good question indeed. It really must be the concern of christians. Many a christian will say that of course there should be no profanity in a 'christian' film. While a more liberal christian might say it communicates reality better, and can be justified etc.

Well, not being a christian myself, I am not burdened by the 'does and dont's' of what is acceptable within the context of a film. For me, it is all okay. The trouble for a christian is that it is either not okay, or they somehow have to rationalise why it is okay against the disagreement of other christians.

There will never be a standard, because all christians disagree. Nobody says, 'why is there swearing in this secular film?' Because non-believers don't have a problem with curse words or the use of explicit content to communicate a strong or powerful message.

Here's a question that might complicate things further; How would a christian script writer write a film about a christian soldier during world war two, without including profanity and cuss words used by other non-christian soldiers? We all know in such a film there would be a lot of use of cuss words etc. So is it moral for a christian script writer to include these in a 'christian war film' or is he to leave them out because christians shouldn't have profanity in their films? Thus making the film less realistic and representative of the real world we live in.

I dunno...I find your question really interesting. My Father used to tell me not to swear because it doesn't represent christianity. Now I am no longer a christian, and the use of curse words in certain situations doesn't bother me in the slightest.

Cewakiyelo
Scholar

Post #27

Post by Cewakiyelo »

I would say it depends upon on how the film utilizes the content. Bad language, violence, etc.

We live in a world where all of that exists to some extent in our day to day world. We are a part of the world and thus hear and see those things. Does that mean that we are agreeable or complacent to those things? Does it mean we are less Christian minded because we saw a fight or heard someone taking the Lords name in vain?

If the film use those vices to depict reality than it can be a good tool to use in order to depict the nature of evil. Likewise the contrast of a character who does not allow themselves to take part in that sort of behavior and instead is seen setting an example of goodness in an otherwise contemptible world can be very honest to reality.

And the Character who is caught between the two worlds, One that has been living a sinful life, has the sailors mouth, indulges in the flesh, etc.. And then find themselves being caught up by God and the desire to do as God will. These characters can show how departing from our sinning ways takes work and does not just happen overnight.

If we do not want to be exposed to the violence and bad language and evil that exists... Turn off the TV. Turn off the radio. Close the doors and windows. Draw the curtains closed and don't leave the house. But while we are hiding we might want to remember that Jesus did not hide from the sinners or their sins. He showed them an alternative by his example. It is hard to show anyone that kind of Christian example if we are hiding under the covers afraid of what we might see outside in the real world.

marketandchurch
Scholar

Post #28

Post by marketandchurch »

I do believe that one could pollute one's soul by being overly immersed in toxic, unethical, and profane content.

But if the existence of cussing, sexuality, or violence causes you not to see a great film such as Lincoln or The King's Speech, then I don't know what to say...