Swear Words

Religion in TV, Movies, Books, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Kuan
Site Supporter

Swear Words

Post #1

Post by Kuan »

Many Christians don't approve of foul language, most invoke the 3rd commandment:
You shall not take the name of the Lord your God in vain, for the Lord will not hold him guiltless who takes His name in vain.
But does that really apply to other swear words that are not religiously related?

Aren't these words foul only because we make them that way? Most of them refer to words that we say all the time and have the same meaning.

This might not interest many but it is a problem in my community. I dont listen to edited songs mostly because the way they edit it bothers me. I have been told many times that I am going to hell because my songs are not edited and that I am breaking the 3rd commandment, ect.
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."
- Voltaire

Kung may ayaw, may dahilan. Kung may gusto, may paraan.

His Name Is John
Site Supporter

Post #21

Post by His Name Is John »

I think swearing is a three layered issue.

1. Politness: This applies to everyone, not just Christians. In our society it simply isn't considered polite to swear all the time.

Of course with friends it happens, but if someone selling something to you in a shop swore near constantly, it would be considered impolite.

I think a good example of how society views swearing is the film ratings. In the UK a film can be rated 15 just for bad language. In the USA the same applies (although it can be rated R).

This means that generally it isn't thought as appropreate for people under 15 (or 17) to even hear these words, let alone say them.

Now I don't know anyone alive who didn't know what the F world was by the time they were 12, but the point still stands.

2. Intent: This also applies to everyone, not just Christians. You may have heard of the saying 'wooden swearing', where someone uses another word in the place of a swear word.

Now it isn't considered to be as bad as normal swearing, so it is completly seperated from point 1. Most people don't have much issue with this, unless it is used in a cruel way.

Someone calling an overweight person a 'fat pig' can be as offencive as any swear word. The reason it is hurtful is because of the intent. In my opinion this is why swearing at and around friends isn't considered so rude, as the intent is rarely bad.

3. Contamination: This was explained to me by my father when I was much younger. I have never heard anyone else say this to me, but I think it does make sense. It is the one part which relates spefifically to Christians.

If you believe in the Devil and you believe that he wants to corrupt you, then of course you must imagen that he wants to corrupt all parts of you (eg. mind, body, speach).

In the same way Christian's would say it is bad to think about doing things which are 'sins' as well as actually doing things which are 'sins', then surely it is also wrong to speak about things which are 'sins'.

Most of the bad language is either dirty, or sexual (and that when taken out of place is considered 'dirty'). And it makes sense that as a Christian you don't want to dirty your lips.

This is my opinion and assesment of the situation, feel free to disagree!

OpiatefortheMasses
Apprentice

Post #22

Post by OpiatefortheMasses »

Honestly, I think swearing offends some people because they allow it to. True, there is a certain stigma attached to certain words but I think that's only there because it's been beaten into our heads by society throughout our lives and not actually because their "bad words". I don't really think their are "bad words" out there but rather just one's we've corrupted. Personally, I think dropping an f-bomb or what have you every now and then is relatively healthy.

Goat
Site Supporter

Post #23

Post by Goat »

OpiatefortheMasses wrote:Honestly, I think swearing offends some people because they allow it to. True, there is a certain stigma attached to certain words but I think that's only there because it's been beaten into our heads by society throughout our lives and not actually because their "bad words". I don't really think their are "bad words" out there but rather just one's we've corrupted. Personally, I think dropping an f-bomb or what have you every now and then is relatively healthy.
Personally, I swear very very little. If I lose my tempter enough to actually use swear words, people who know me get shocked, and pay attention to the issues I am having. I don't think that has happened in years.
“What do you think science is? There is nothing magical about science. It is simply a systematic way for carefully and thoroughly observing nature and using consistent logic to evaluate results. So which part of that exactly do you disagree with? Do you disagree with being thorough? Using careful observation? Being systematic? Or using consistent logic?�

Steven Novella