Can Fox News be trusted?

Current issues and things in the news

Moderator: Moderators

Question Everything
Sage

Can Fox News be trusted?

Post #1

Post by Question Everything »

Asked what most viewers and observers of Fox News would be surprised to learn about the controversial cable channel, a former insider from the world of Rupert Murdoch was quick with a response: “I don’t think people would believe it’s as concocted as it is; that stuff is just made up.�
http://www.readersupportednews.org/off- ... t-made-upq
"Oh, you can''t get through seminary and come out believing in God!"

current pastor who is a closet atheist
quoted by Daniel Dennett.

sleepyhead
Site Supporter

Post #51

Post by sleepyhead »

Hello dianaiad,

>>>So you believe he DID create the internet? <<<
I actually went to the snopes link you provided. Thank you. 1st off though let's get an actual definition of create from dictionary.com so were both on the same page.

— vb
1. ( tr ) to cause to come into existence (he promoted legislation that did cause the internet to come into existence)
2. ( tr ) to invest with a new honour, office, or title; appoint (he investged his time to promote certain legislation to advance the internet)
3. ( tr ) to be the cause of: these circumstances created the revolution(he was at least part of the cause that legislation was passed
4.( tr ) to act (a role) in the first production of a play
5. ( intr ) to be engaged in creative work
6. slang ( Brit ) ( intr ) to make a fuss or uproar

The entire comment by Al Gore was:
"I'll be offering my vision when my campaign begins. And it will be comprehensive and sweeping. And I hope that it will be compelling enough to draw people toward it. I feel that it will be. But it will emerge from my dialogue with the American people. I've traveled to every part of this country during the last six years. During my service in the United States Congress, I took the initiative in creating the Internet. I took the initiative in moving forward a whole range of initiatives that have proven to be important to our country's economic growth and environmental protection, improvements in our educational system."

The entire interview is here and the comment is on page 2.
http://articles.cnn.com/1999-03-09/poli ... LLPOLITICS

Wikipedia also places his comment in context.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Al_Gore_an ... technology
From these sources I don't consider his comments inacurate. What exactly do you find inacurate?
May all your naps be joyous occasions.

dianaiad
Site Supporter

Post #52

Post by dianaiad »

sleepyhead wrote: Hello dianaiad,

>>>So you believe he DID create the internet? <<<
I actually went to the snopes link you provided. Thank you. 1st off though let's get an actual definition of create from dictionary.com so were both on the same page.

— vb
1. ( tr ) to cause to come into existence (he promoted legislation that did cause the internet to come into existence)
2. ( tr ) to invest with a new honour, office, or title; appoint (he investged his time to promote certain legislation to advance the internet)
3. ( tr ) to be the cause of: these circumstances created the revolution(he was at least part of the cause that legislation was passed
4.( tr ) to act (a role) in the first production of a play
5. ( intr ) to be engaged in creative work
6. slang ( Brit ) ( intr ) to make a fuss or uproar

The entire comment by Al Gore was:
"I'll be offering my vision when my campaign begins. And it will be comprehensive and sweeping. And I hope that it will be compelling enough to draw people toward it. I feel that it will be. But it will emerge from my dialogue with the American people. I've traveled to every part of this country during the last six years. During my service in the United States Congress, I took the initiative in creating the Internet. I took the initiative in moving forward a whole range of initiatives that have proven to be important to our country's economic growth and environmental protection, improvements in our educational system."

The entire interview is here and the comment is on page 2.
http://articles.cnn.com/1999-03-09/poli ... LLPOLITICS

Wikipedia also places his comment in context.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Al_Gore_an ... technology
From these sources I don't consider his comments inacurate. What exactly do you find inacurate?
The part where he claimed to create the internet.

Choir Loft
Banned
Banned

Re: Can Fox News be trusted?

Post #53

Post by Choir Loft »

dianaiad wrote: Fox NEWS is closer to center than the majority of either broadcast or print media. It's opinion programs lean pretty far to the right--though not as far as the extreme left wing media suggests. However, the News?

A whole lot closer to center than anybody but ABC. Everybody else leans so far to the left that they are in danger of falling off the teeter-totter. Certainly Fox News is less schizophrenic than the Wall Street Journal, which leans right in opinion...and far left in the news sections.

Whenever I find someone going on and on about how right wing Fox News is, I KNOW that the complainer is left wing. What they mean is that Fox News doesn't have a leftist bias, and so is uncomfortable for liberals.

...............for some odd reason, I've noticed that those who complain the most about Fox News like to get THEIR information from, oh,....CBS, the New York Times, the LA Times and the Huffington Post; all of which are universally acknowledged as leaning left. Far left.

But bias LEFT seems to be just ducky....and the irony is pretty telling.

(edited to change "ABC' to CBS...ABC is actually centrist. It's CBS that has fallen off the ship portside. )
The bottom line for all these news services is not which way they lean, but that ultimately they all publish government lies. After all, its human nature. It's the news BUSINESS and if there's no news to publish then business is bad.

The White House, for example, regularly restricts or rewards access to journalists based upon whether they publish stories favorable to the current administration. It isn't just Obama either. It's been going on for a long long time. The recent problem has been one of style rather than substance.

Publishers of all sorts believe that people want to read sensational and controversial subjects rather than meaty investigative scholarly work. It isn't just news publishers either.

One of the biggest publishing group to retreat into this circus act is the Christian press. Once upon a time scholarly works flourished on bookstore shelves.(*) Today, not so much. Today when you peruse the titles you'll see more Christian fiction than solid Christian doctrine - more fluff than fact and more silliness than scholarship.

The foreign press isn't much better, including the BBC. All news sources reflect the bias of their sponsors and audience. The truth, however, has a very strange way of peeking out between the bricks in the walls of lies that have been built.

"The corporate grip on opinion in the United States is one of the wonders of the Western world. No First World country has ever managed to eliminate so entirely from its media all objectivity - much less dissent."
- Gore Vidal

"Of course, it is possible for any citizen with time to spare, and a canny eye, to work out what is actually going on, but for the many there is not time, and the network news is the only news even though it may not be news at all but only a series of flashing fictions..."

- Gore Vidal

Left wing accusations of bias by FOX news are not without legitimate concern as are the same points made of Huffington Post or the Moscow Times or the New York Times for that matter. All are guilty of very human attitudes and weakness. It is the job of the reader to study the news. The truth is out there. We just have to dig for it.

but that's just me, hollering from the choir loft...

(*) BEWARE book store shopping this holiday season. I just bought a book from Books A Million and paid eight dollars more for it off the store shelf than I would have paid for the same title on BAMs own web site. It's crazy. Check it out before you buy. I should have - but won't get caught again.
R.I.P. AMERICAN REPUBLIC
[June 21, 1788 - October 26, 2001]

- Here lies Liberty -
Born in the spring,
died in the fall.
Stabbed in the back,
forsaken by all.