New Facebook Group

Messages from the admins

Moderator: Moderators

otseng
Savant

New Facebook Group

Post #1

Post by otseng »

I've created a new Facebook group for the forum. Facebook for Android only supports the new groups, so this will be easier for me to follow. If you experience any problems with the forum and want to notify me via FB, this will be the best way. I will no longer be using the old FB group.
Last edited by otseng on Sun Mar 13, 2011 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Goat
Site Supporter

Post #11

Post by Goat »

Lux wrote:Stop it, I just (as in, still in the airport) moved to the USA and I might buy a fancy phone if you don't quit talking about them :( Curse you, consumerism!
Free yourself from the phone.

The only reason I have a cell phone at all is for work.. and it is a tether to them.
“What do you think science is? There is nothing magical about science. It is simply a systematic way for carefully and thoroughly observing nature and using consistent logic to evaluate results. So which part of that exactly do you disagree with? Do you disagree with being thorough? Using careful observation? Being systematic? Or using consistent logic?�

Steven Novella

Lux
Site Supporter

Post #12

Post by Lux »

Goat wrote:Free yourself from the phone.

The only reason I have a cell phone at all is for work.. and it is a tether to them.
Work phones are the worst. My father got a "free Blackberry!!" from work, which means he's available for online work 24/7.
[center]Image

© Divine Insight (Thanks!)[/center]

"There is more room for a god in science than there is for no god in religious faith." -Phil Plate.

Goat
Site Supporter

Post #13

Post by Goat »

Lux wrote:

Work phones are the worst. My father got a "free Blackberry!!" from work, which means he's available for online work 24/7.
YOU GOT IT!!!!!

It used to be a beeper, and then there was a couple of years I didn't have a backup, so it was 24/7 for 52 weeks a year, even vacations.
“What do you think science is? There is nothing magical about science. It is simply a systematic way for carefully and thoroughly observing nature and using consistent logic to evaluate results. So which part of that exactly do you disagree with? Do you disagree with being thorough? Using careful observation? Being systematic? Or using consistent logic?�

Steven Novella

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Post #14

Post by McCulloch »

Lux wrote: Work phones are the worst. My father got a "free Blackberry!!" from work, which means he's available for online work 24/7.
I have one of those. It has an off button. Under our labor legislation, if I am on call, I have to be notified that I am on call and paid to be on call. If I am not on call, I can ignore notifications on my off time. And I do.
Examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
First Epistle to the Church of the Thessalonians
The truth will make you free.
Gospel of John

otseng
Savant

Post #15

Post by otseng »

Lux wrote:Stop it, I just (as in, still in the airport) moved to the USA and I might buy a fancy phone if you don't quit talking about them :( Curse you, consumerism!
You moved to the US? Why did you move here?

Lux
Site Supporter

Post #16

Post by Lux »

otseng wrote:You moved to the US? Why did you move here?
Not only did I move to the US, I moved to Texas. I can't think of many places where I'd fit in less :-k

Actually I plan to move to Austin for college. I'm sure Austin will be great (and I'm visiting there this Saturday :D ) but right now I'm in La Feria TX. It's like someone started a town to embrace a particular negative Texan stereotype.
[center]Image

"There is more room for a god in science than there is for no god in religious faith." -Phil Plate.

Kuan
Site Supporter

Post #17

Post by Kuan »

Lux wrote:

I know what thats like....the last vacation I went on with my family, I never saw my dad. He stayed in the hotel the whole time on his "free blackberry."

Although you have to admit, blackberry's are pretty amazing if you dont work 24/7...
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."
- Voltaire

Kung may ayaw, may dahilan. Kung may gusto, may paraan.

Goat
Site Supporter

Post #18

Post by Goat »

Lux wrote:
otseng wrote:You moved to the US? Why did you move here?
Not only did I move to the US, I moved to Texas. I can't think of many places where I'd fit in less :-k

Actually I plan to move to Austin for college. I'm sure Austin will be great (and I'm visiting there this Saturday :D ) but right now I'm in La Feria TX. It's like someone started a town to embrace a particular negative Texan stereotype.
Austin is a fantastic city. If there is any place in Texas where I would move to, it would be Austin. I hear Huston might be ok.. but I haven't been there.

Steven Novella

Lux
Site Supporter

Post #19

Post by Lux »

Goat wrote:Austin is a fantastic city. If there is any place in Texas where I would move to, it would be Austin. I hear Huston might be ok.. but I haven't been there.
Same way I feel. I wouldn't move anywhere in Texas (that I've been to, at least) other than Austin. San Antonio is a nice city to visit, Houston is a typical big city, so it's alright if you like that.

I'd have to hit my head really hard to move to the Texan valley, though. That's where I am now, and it's just... let's say, not for me.
[center]Image