Can there be such a thing as nothing?

For the love of the pursuit of knowledge

Moderator: Moderators

QED
Prodigy

Can there be such a thing as nothing?

Post #1

Post by QED »

If we try to clear our minds and use them to conceive of nothingness it almost hurts. It's as if it's an impossible feat for the imagination. Logic and language fully support this notion. How can there be such a thing as nothing? Is this logical contradiction just a play on words or could it be the reason why everything exists?

QED
Prodigy

Re: stop blabbering

Post #161

Post by QED »

Curious wrote:
QED wrote:The universe appears to be fine-tuned. We know however that any other tuning would not support us as we are here and now so we have only two possibilities

1) It was set up carefully, on purpose, by a supernatural entity who wished to create a universe in which we would eventually be able to arise.
2) It was the product of a natural process capable of producing a wide range of universes one of which we currently enjoy.

Is there any other option?
Yes, perhaps it was set up carefully, on purpose, by a supernatural entity who wished to create a universe in which we are a necessary or unforseen side effect.
Ah, thank you Curious. A third way that would be indistinguishable to us from proposition (1) if were were to infer god from the natural world alone.

Cathar1950
Site Supporter

Post #162

Post by Cathar1950 »

Curious wrote:
Yes, perhaps it was set up carefully, on purpose, by a supernatural entity who wished to create a universe in which we are a necessary or unforseen side effect.
You might be right. Necessary or an unforseen side effect would seem to have it place When we have(acording to the story)Satan and his angles and demons. How are they God creation and purpose or are they in the same boat? As humans and how and why?.
I am not against a God winging it.
Last edited by Cathar1950 on Sun Aug 07, 2005 11:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Curious
Sage

Post #163

Post by Curious »

Cathar1950 wrote:Curious wrote:
With out getting into what a unnatural world would be.
Is this emplyed when we have(acording to the story) Satan and his angles and demons. I am not against a God winging it.
ow would you test an inference from unnatural world.
Dreams, Visions, and voices might get you put away or at least medicated.
I don't wish to appear pedantic but you seem to have appended my quote with a reference to the unnatural world. I have a feeling that it could just be due to your misplacement of the end quote.

Cathar1950
Site Supporter

Post #164

Post by Cathar1950 »

I have corrected it Curious I didn't edit yours thanks.
i have done worse. Thought I was getting the hang of the quote.
I was hoping we were a nice side effect.
The other reference was to QED. Which I left out.
QED wrote:
if were were to infer god from the natural world alone.
How would you test an inference from the unnatural world.
Dreams, Visions, and voices might get you put away or at least medicated.
I hope I got it right Curious. sorry about that. thanks
I would hope we would be a pleasant side effect.

What would be an non-natural world?
Can we infer God?
Where, When, and How can we infer God?
God seems to be a personal social construct, interpreted thru our culture and experiences both personal and shared.
It may go beyond it. I don't know how I could tell the difference.

lifeisboring
Student

Re: Can there be such a thing as nothing?

Post #165

Post by lifeisboring »

For everything, there's an opposite. "Nothing" just happens to be the opposite of "something".

But of course, like if you suck all the "stuff" out of a box, there's still something in the box[/i]
Did God create humans, or did humans create God? :-k

God gives us the freedom of choosing what religion to believe in, and then sends prophets to convince us to believe in him. Strange, no? :eyebrow: