Pointless Posts, Raves n Rants, Obscure Opinions

Moderator: Moderators

Zzyzx
Site Supporter

Christian Cannibalism

Post #1

Post by Zzyzx »

Christian Cannibalism

Since some seem concerned about "Atheist cannibalism" it might be only fair to point out that cannibalism is not only condoned by the bible and among Christians, but is encouraged (or mandated).

According to 1 Corinthians 11:23 – 29, Mark 14:22-24, Mark 26:26-28, and Luke 22:15-20, at "The Last Supper" Jesus is said to have given Apostles bread and wine saying, "This is my body" and "This is my blood".

John 6:53-56 was even more specific
Jesus said to them, "Amen, amen, I say to you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink his blood, you do not have life within you."
Many Christian sects engage in ritual cannibalism called "Eucharist" or "Holy Communion" or other names. To identify a few: Catholic, Anglican, Lutheran, Baptist (some), Methodist, Jehovah's Witness, LDS, Seventh-day Adventist, Brethren. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eucharist#Protestants

More Christian Cannibalism.

The most famous example of known cannibalism in the United States occurred in the infamous Donner Party event of 1848. There is evidence that some of the participants were Christians – and that others converted to Christianity after the experience. http://raiboy.tripod.com/Donner/id15.html
Pre-Donner Party:
Roman Catholics: The Breens/Patrick Doolan
Mormon/Church of LDS: Lavinah Murphy (reportedly)
Methodist: Margaret Reed
Lutheran/Other Protestant: Louis Keseberg and possibly others.

Post-Donner Party
Roman Catholic: The Breens/The Fosters/Mary Murphy/Virginia Backenstoe Reed
Episcopalians: (American Anglicans) Eliza Donner and Naomi Pike
Methodist: The Kesebergs, Margaret Reed and Nancy Graves
Baptist: Lovina Graves
Congregationist: (Neo-Puritan) William Murphy

As for everyone else, not everyone could become active in Church communities, some being farmers out in the rural Sacramento Valley. Others attended non-denominational community churches, and others still prayed to God in their own way.
Questions for debate:

1. Are there verifiable examples of Atheism promoting cannibalism (or symbolic cannibalism) as is done in Christian bible and churches?

2. Is there any reason (other than prejudice) for Christians to conclude that Atheists are more prone to cannibalism than are Christians?

3. Are African and/or Island cultures that practiced cannibalism (or still do so at least symbolically) more Atheistic than Theistic?
Non-Theist

ANY of the thousands of "gods" proposed, imagined, worshiped, loved, feared, and/or fought over by humans MAY exist -- awaiting verifiable evidence

dianaiad
Site Supporter

Post #21

Post by dianaiad »

Zzyzx wrote:Theo,

At first I was saddened by your indication of loss of respect.

However, after careful consideration that is no longer the case. I regard your change as being based upon personal emotional reaction to a difference in opinion.

You are entitled to regard a religious ritual as being "holy" or "sacred" and to think of "eat my flesh and drink my blood" as being something other than reference to humans eating humans (the definition of cannibalism).

I am equally entitled to regard the ritual and the words as being reference to humans eating humans.

You are entitled to think of such things as "symbolic" or whatever you choose, just as I am entitled to think of them otherwise (and cite reasons for so doing).

I do not lose respect for you because you maintain or state your opinion.

If you choose a different route, so be it.

Z
Just one comment:

A religion is what the believers say it is; they are under no obligation to agree with their opponents as to what their beliefs ARE, or actually mean....and in any debate in which WHAT a theist actually believes is at issue, the point always goes to the believer.

After that, one can debate whether what someone believes is true or not, but WHAT that belief actually is?

No non-believer gets a say as to what that is.

micatala
Site Supporter

Post #22

Post by micatala »

Critic wrote:Possibly the weakest debate in reality is to discard others points of view entirely, and label them.
Some very interesting points were made here until some joker interceded- perhaps the moderator should use a little moderation- it could be quite humbling (although uninvited) but it is seemingly necessitated.
Moderator Comment

All challenges or comments on moderator actions must be made via PM, per the rules.

Please review the Rules.

Moderator comments do not count as a strike against any posters. They only serve as an acknowledgment that a post report has been received, but has not been judged to warrant a moderator warning against a particular poster.
" . . . the line separating good and evil passes, not through states, nor between classes, nor between political parties either, but right through every human heart . . . ." Alexander Solzhenitsyn