Getting to know more about a particular group

Moderator: Moderators

Braveheart
Banned
Banned

Question for Atheists: Do you wish the Christian God exists

Post #1

Post by Braveheart »

Do any here Atheists wish or want to believe in the Christian God, or any god, for that matter, it's just that evidence points against it? Or are you more comfortable in a world without a god?

jmvizanko
Apprentice

Re: Question for Atheists: Do you wish the Christian God exi

Post #2

Post by jmvizanko »

Braveheart wrote:Do any here Atheists wish or want to believe in the Christian God, or any god, for that matter, it's just that evidence points against it? Or are you more comfortable in a world without a god?
I absolutely wish the Christian god does not exist, as that would include the existence of hell, and arbitrary selection for who (including myself) goes there. I am a bit indifferent to gods existing that aren't so cruel. Although I do wonder why they aren't, you know, helping us to cure children dying of parasites etc. The thought of an afterlife is both nice and troublesome; its a shame to just blip and be gone, but on the other hand, I wonder if people wouldn't go insane after existing a few million years let alone infinite, regardless of what they have to do.

And it has nothing to do with being comfortable without a god. I have just as much to answer for for my bad actions (although I consider different actions bad and good a bit with my morality largely determined by myself) with my own guilt and desire to be a good person. I don't believe in Karma, but what goes around sure does come around. The only reason I disbelieve in god is that there is no convincing reason to believe there is one. And in addition I basically rule out the existence of certain gods, like Christianity's, because of the problem of hell and, no offense just my honest opinion, a ridiculous set of theological beliefs. (unbelief is the only sin that really matters, eternal and therefore infinite punishment, an intelligent god sent the most important message to one place at one point in time to a small percentage of the people in the world, and relied on ancient word of mouth and writing to spread it etc)
Faith is arbitrary. When you realize why you dismiss all the other gods people believe in, you will realize why I dismiss yours.

LiamOS
Site Supporter

Post #3

Post by LiamOS »

I'd be more comfortable in a universe without a caring Deity, but if one came and told me that I was destined for eternal bliss when I died, you'd not hear me complaining.

You'd find me at the bottom of a cliff not long later, I'd imagine. :P

Edit: That said, the reason I do not believe in any sort of God is because I believe that there's really no compelling evidence or reason to believe in one.
Last edited by LiamOS on Sun May 29, 2011 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Strider324
Banned
Banned

Post #4

Post by Strider324 »

Do I want to believe in an incompetent, capricious, sexist, churlish, vain and petty deity that demands worship and threatens eternal damnation if his demands are not met?

Let me consider that for awhile, just to be sure....
:-k
"Do Good for Good is Good to do. Spurn Bribe of Heaven and Threat of Hell"
- The Kasidah of Haji abdu al-Yezdi

100%atheist
Prodigy

Post #5

Post by 100%atheist »

Braveheart wrote:Do any here Atheists wish or want to believe in the Christian God, or any god, for that matter, it's just that evidence points against it? Or are you more comfortable in a world without a god?
I am more comfortable in the world without gods including the Christian God.

Question Everything
Sage

Post #6

Post by Question Everything »

Strider324 wrote:Do I want to believe in an incompetent, capricious, sexist, churlish, vain and petty deity that demands worship and threatens eternal damnation if his demands are not met?

Let me consider that for awhile, just to be sure....
:-k
This is one thing that has really changed for me since I joined this forum. I used to want the Christian God to exist, but after really looking at it I don't see how anyone would want such a being to exist.
"Oh, you can''t get through seminary and come out believing in God!"

current pastor who is a closet atheist
quoted by Daniel Dennett.

catalyst
Site Supporter

Post #7

Post by catalyst »

Braveheart wrote:Do any here Atheists wish or want to believe in the Christian God, or any god, for that matter, it's just that evidence points against it?
There are several atheists (or non theists) on this forum that I know of (including myself) who at one point did believe in the christian god model. Speaking for myself only as to my reasons for rejecting that particular god model is,through intense study of the biblical jesus character; through theological content as well as historical, all points lead to him never having A) walked the earth, hence B) not "dying" for anyone's supposed sins.Even the so called apostles are works of fiction.

As to other god models? Well, I have explored MANY in study; through anthropology to try and determine WHY cultures even the belief sytems in place for god models dating back to the Neolithic period (pertaining specifically to the ME .. so 10000BCE) and prior to that; as to the god concept in the form of animism. Through taking a walk through all these prior god models, and their cultural reasons, I sort of understand "WHY" these people were somehow reliant on, in their minds, there having to be a "tangible" entity (or several) "out there", doing stuff they personally couldn't.

I noticed through this research that there is nothing truly special, nor unique(except for one point) about the OT god model, nor of the NT jesus character and in fact, both of them fall short of the prior models as to assume capacities and will of a "god".

That ONE point I allude to is selfishness. Prior models made no real demands, nor really had any expectations, and if anything, the concept of sacrifice (with the gods attributed to animism for example, it was usually a sacrifice of the SAME type of animal as the god - BTW that is partially where the concept of "jesus" being some sacrificial "lamb" comes from - :-)) - which BTW was a copy of - HORUS- ancient egytian "jesus model" circa 3500BCE - meaning thousands of years prior to even ANY alleged "prophecy" attributed as to the biblical jesus character being penned) was done AFTER they presumed their "god" had fulfilled something they needed. (as in rain so crops could grow, enabling an entire community AND other communities to be fed.. for example). These "offereings" were more community based, than purely self serving "worship".

Now as you can see, there is a lot of similarities here as to communicatible "intent". Just with the jesus character, it was supposedly the GOD of the OT "offering up" his supposed "KIND" - as in perhaps the opitome of HUMAN sacrifice (made specifically OF him and all - but failing to see where the "lamb" comes into the equation- yes yes, it is metaphorical with THIS "also ran" god model *RME*). The reason I make this point is that these particular god models of the OT/NT, cater to the selfishness, specifically of those in this day and age. If people were honest with themselves (and I appreciate that MANY people have issue with self honesty - I understand COMPLETELY that it is a HUGE hurdle to jump), but their personal belief in the jesus character, is not so much about jesus, but about THEM, personally. One's assumed "salvation" does not apply to anyone but SELF. Sure, those claimed to be "saved" can run around attempting to preach "their truth", but in the whole scheme of the "salvation clause", especially if they are a "saved being" believing in the biblical concept of WORKS, it is still a self serving exercise, so as to garner brownie-points with the god model, to show him you "has done good". Those NOT in the "of works" camp, but rather "of grace" have still (presumed to have) saved their own tuckus.

The thing is though, the OT/NT "god" models are "conditional", hence, selfish creatures too. Both characters are quite human in depiction and that is what I laugh about when certain theists try to claim that their chosen god model is "beyond" any "HUMAN" understanding, when those (to the ones out there seeing it as a monotheistic "trinity" ONE), the concept OF that god model is BASED around human understanding. OT/NT god are emotional and flighty creatures who sulk when things don't go their way. No wonder the NT states that you have to be "like a child" as frankly, I cannot see the god models there as being anything other than "tanty" throwing, pouty faced twats when they don't get their own way. It's just that the lego building isn't the thing demolished, nor the head ripped off the doll, in anger "cuz things didn't go your way".

Or are you more comfortable in a world without a god?
Not necessarily. I actually appreciate how at least PRIOR god beliefs structured their understandings of what their "gods" were to them. They actually promoted the concept of comradery, compassion and love FOR ALL.. Prior depictions of what "god" supposedly "is" expressed that. Unfortunately, it has been lost in "translation" when dealing with more modern. Yes comparatively, the OT/NT god models ARE "modern" when one takes into account, whether a "new earther" belief system OR an old earth one.

As I have mused on other threads here, I personally would have no issue with there being an ACTUAL TRUE god model out there, just watching self-serving morons jump through hoops for nothing but their own gratification. Whether he/she/it IS though? *shrug*
Hence, not betting the "farm" on it. I am content with my life as it is...NOW as an atheist and have taken a REAL interest in the concerns of others, rather than of self.

Braveheart, I possibly lost you at some time between the A) hence B) points I made early on in my long-winded post. If that is the case, then it's ok.

You did ask the questions though. I just answered them honestly.:D

sleepyhead
Site Supporter

Post #8

Post by sleepyhead »

Hello braveheart,

I'm not an athiest but I want to comment anyway. The Christian God is a divine being. I believe in a Creative Force. There would be some similarities to the Starwars force. I prefer the Creative Force because unlike the divine being promoted by Christianity the Creative Force is unchangeable.
May all your naps be joyous occasions.

SteveC
Sage

Post #9

Post by SteveC »

No, no evidence, quite comfortable.
The Most Interesting Atheist in the world

I don''''t always use holywater, but when I do, I prefer Dos Equis.

Stay thirsty my friends

Nickman
Site Supporter

Post #10

Post by Nickman »

I do not want or wish that the christian god was real due to the fact that if he was then people would see thier loved ones burning for eterity. Secondly,that kind of god we see in the bible is far from loving and kind. He DEMANDS worship and attention and gets jealous when he doesnt get it and throws a fit like a drunk.