Getting to know more about a particular group

Moderator: Moderators

Braveheart
Banned
Banned

Question for Atheists: Do you wish the Christian God exists

Post #1

Post by Braveheart »

Do any here Atheists wish or want to believe in the Christian God, or any god, for that matter, it's just that evidence points against it? Or are you more comfortable in a world without a god?

rikuoamero
Under Probation

Re: Question for Atheists: Do you wish the Christian God exi

Post #31

Post by rikuoamero »

Braveheart wrote: Do any here Atheists wish or want to believe in the Christian God, or any god, for that matter, it's just that evidence points against it? Or are you more comfortable in a world without a god?
I think this question is malformed. What I want to be true has no bearing whatsoever on what actually is true. I want there to be a large pile of money on my bed...however, there is no such pile of money.
I think the question should be worded as
"Do any here atheists, would they prefer to live in a world alongside the Christian God..."?
I'll answer that question. No, I would not. The description the Bible gives of the behaviors of this god are horrific. I would not want to live in such a world alongside such a god. Obviously if I found evidence that indicates that this god actually is real, there's nothing I could do to change it. However, I would not want to follow or worship such a narcissistic being.
"or any god for that matter, it's just that evidence points against it?"
Yes to that
"Or are you more comfortable..."
Yes to this. As far as I'm aware, there either is no god, or if there is, its detectable influence on me is nil. If I found evidence of a god, I admit it would entail a radical change in my thinking, taking me out of my comfort zone.

Danmark
Site Supporter

Re: Question for Atheists: Do you wish the Christian God exi

Post #32

Post by Danmark »

[Replying to post 30 by rikuoamero]

Speaking of rewriting the question, it also should be rewritten because of its confusing sentence structure.
Do any here Atheists wish or want to believe in the Christian God, or any god, for that matter, it's just that evidence points against it? Or are you more comfortable in a world without a god?
Should be:

"Do any Atheists here want to believe in the Christian God, or any god, for that matter? Does your disbelief come solely because the evidence suggests it? Or are you more comfortable in a world without a god?"

OnceConvinced
Savant

Post #33

Post by OnceConvinced »

I am one such Atheist who would love to believe there was a god, after all I spent the first 40 years of my life believing absolutely there was a God.

I would love to believe that there was some loving, wonderful God who wants the best for me, who has a plan for me, who takes care of me. I would love to believe that this god has the whole world in his hands and that when I die I am going to go to Heaven. Who wouldn't want to believe in such a god? How wonderful would it be if such a god existed! I can't understand why anyone wouldn't want that.

I would also love it if there were wardrobes that led to magical lands and that there were amazing chocolate factories run by oompa loompas. However I'm just not possibly able to believe in any of it.

I will settle for reality whether I like it or not.

Society and its morals evolve and will continue to evolve. The bible however remains the same and just requires more and more apologetics and claims of "metaphors" and "symbolism" to justify it.

Prayer is like rubbing an old bottle and hoping that a genie will pop out and grant you three wishes.

There is much about this world that is mind boggling and impressive, but I see no need whatsoever to put it down to magical super powered beings.

Check out my website: Recker's World

Zzyzx
Site Supporter

Post #34

Post by Zzyzx »

[Replying to post 32 by OnceConvinced]

Excellent one-sentence summation. If you have no objection I may quote that in my signature.
OnceConvinced wrote: I will settle for reality whether I like it or not.
Mystic belief systems replace or alter perceived reality with "hope" and "faith" and "afterlife" provided by a convenient supposed supernatural, elusive entity. Belief becomes the focus for many rather than the real world with which they may be dissatisfied or uncomfortable.
Non-Theist

ANY of the thousands of "gods" proposed, imagined, worshiped, loved, feared, and/or fought over by humans MAY exist -- awaiting verifiable evidence

OnceConvinced
Savant

Post #35

Post by OnceConvinced »

Zzyzx wrote: .
[Replying to post 32 by OnceConvinced]

Excellent one-sentence summation. If you have no objection I may quote that in my signature.
No objection at all.

I remember well debating with a Christian once about the heart vs the brain and trying to explain to her that the heart is simply a blood pumping organ and that any thing you claim to be from the "heart" is actually coming from the brain.

She hated that thought. It just didn't sound lovely or romantic enough to her. "Oh it is so much more romantic to say you love someone with all your heart. Imagine saying you love them with all your brain?" It just shows how often ones religion can come down to pure emotions and wishful thinking, rather than intellect. It may be more romantic to say "heart" but in reality it's still the brain. Sometimes reality just isn't all that lovely and romantic. Sometimes reality is unromantic and unpleasant.
Zzyzx wrote:
OnceConvinced wrote: I will settle for reality whether I like it or not.
Mystic belief systems replace or alter perceived reality with "hope" and "faith" and "afterlife" provided by a convenient supposed supernatural, elusive entity. Belief becomes the focus for many rather than the real world with which they may be dissatisfied or uncomfortable.
Belief seems to usurp reality on a regular basis. Us humans tends to believe a lot of things simply because it's what we were taught. One thing that has highlighted that fact for me recently is the belief that going out in the cold and the rain will put you at risk of catching a cold. It's amazing how many people still believe this old wive's tale. The reality of the situation is that the rain and cold do not cause colds. Viruses do and these are spread more easily in the winter because we tend to confine ourselves indoors where viruses can spread between people easier. But yet, we humans continue with this silly irrational belief that going out in the cold and rain without adequate protection will increase our risks of catching cold.

Society and its morals evolve and will continue to evolve. The bible however remains the same and just requires more and more apologetics and claims of "metaphors" and "symbolism" to justify it.

Prayer is like rubbing an old bottle and hoping that a genie will pop out and grant you three wishes.

There is much about this world that is mind boggling and impressive, but I see no need whatsoever to put it down to magical super powered beings.

Check out my website: Recker's World

higgy1911
Scholar

Post #36

Post by higgy1911 »

I wish only to believe what is true.

Its a difficult question and requires much introspection but I believe I no longer have any desire to believe or disbelieve in a god. I simply want to know and believe what is true. given that my wishes have no bearing on what is true or not true I try not to spend too much time on my wishes past what wishes are clearly attainable.

I wish I had a hamburger for instance.