Why do we debate?

For the love of the pursuit of knowledge

Moderator: Moderators

Lycan
Student

Why do we debate?

Post #1

Post by Lycan »

Is it just to show off how intelligent we are? or do we really do it to grow and learn?
Last edited by Lycan on Fri Jun 17, 2005 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lycan :mrgreen:

Bro Dave
Sage

Re: What do we debate?

Post #2

Post by Bro Dave »

Lycan wrote:Is it just to show off how intelligent we are? or do we really do it to grow and learn?
Ego is always a part of the equation, however I suspect many try to reach beyond simple ego gratification. Debating exposes your belief structure for evaluation, both by others, and by you yourself as you attempt to reformulate it in words. Some will simply argue their view never examining replies except to see how they are wrong. But some, probably a minority, come to broaden their understanding, and incorporate new bits into their current understanding. All in all, we each get what we decide to get out of the exchange.

So, are you a "defender" or an "expander"? :blink:

Bro Dave

Lycan
Student

Post #3

Post by Lycan »

So, are you a "defender" or an "expander"?
Can I not be both?

I began debate (religion being my first) because I was unsure of where I stood spiritually. I came to debate to learn. Since time, I have found my path. To some extent, I find myself in defense of the ideas I now hold, though not completely closed to the changing of those ideas... make sense? (I tried lol).

ST88
Site Supporter

Post #4

Post by ST88 »

I agree with Bro Dave. It's very ego gratifying to see your ideas out there and have others agree with you & even disagree with you in a certain sense. Any reaction at all is nice sometimes. But I like to think that when people debate, they are in "learning mode" rather than "lecture mode".

Just look at Congress. There is no real debate going on there, even though it is ostensibly a debating body. Most of what we see on C-SPAN is lecture exclusively. The real debate goes on elsewhere, and hopefully someone is learning something.