Do you understand the Theory of Evolution?

Getting to know more about a specific belief

Moderator: Moderators

According to the Theory of Evolution the offspring of these woodpeckers are likely to have:

Longer beaks than their parents' beaks.
7%
Beaks that are neither longer nor shorter than their parents' beaks.
7%
Some will have beaks that are slightly longer and some will have beaks that are slightly shorter and some will have beaks that are the same length.
85%

Total votes: 41

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Do you understand the Theory of Evolution?

Post #1

Post by McCulloch »

Suppose that a species of woodpecker with a one inch beak was introduced to an isolated island where its primary food source lived one and a half inches below the surface of the trees. For this species of woodpecker, there would be a significant advantage to have a longer beak in this environment.

Anyone who cannot answer this question correctly, does not understand how the theory of evolution works and to my mind is not qualified contribute intelligently to debate on the subject. This applies equally to those who agree and to those who disagree with the theory of evolution.
Examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
First Epistle to the Church of the Thessalonians
The truth will make you free.
Gospel of John

Braveheart
Banned
Banned

Re: Do you understand the Theory of Evolution?

Post #2

Post by Braveheart »

McCulloch wrote:Suppose that a species of woodpecker with a one inch beak was introduced to an isolated island where its primary food source lived one and a half inches below the surface of the trees. For this species of woodpecker, there would be a significant advantage to have a longer beak in this environment.

Anyone who cannot answer this question correctly, does not understand how the theory of evolution works and to my mind is not qualified contribute intelligently to debate on the subject. This applies equally to those who agree and to those who disagree with the theory of evolution.
My theory is that they either build up their beak muscles or start diggin' graves.
I am not afraid... I was born to do this.
Joan of Arc :2gun:

Peace if possible, truth at all costs.
Martin Luther

The Church of God she will not bend her knees
To the gods of this world though they promise her peace
She stands her ground
Stands firm on the Rock
Watch their walls tumble down when she lives out His love
Rich Mullins

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Post #3

Post by McCulloch »

Braveheart wrote: My theory is that they either build up their beak muscles or start diggin' graves.
The question is not about your theory. According to the theory of evolution, what is the answer?
Gospel of John

Nilloc James
Site Supporter

Post #4

Post by Nilloc James »

Their beaks will be whatever their genes for beak length dictate, influenced by the enviroment (if they can grow to full potential), barring any mutation?

nygreenguy
Guru

Post #5

Post by nygreenguy »

I find it difficult to answer on many grounds. Are we talking about the first generation?

Nilloc James
Site Supporter

Post #6

Post by Nilloc James »

nygreenguy wrote:I find it difficult to answer on many grounds. Are we talking about the first generation?
Are there multiple genes controlling beak length?

Are they dominate/reccessive or incompletely dominant?

The question is hard to answer, and I've studied evolution....

lastcallhall
Sage

Post #7

Post by lastcallhall »

McCulloch wrote:Suppose that a species of woodpecker with a one inch beak was introduced to an isolated island where its primary food source lived one and a half inches below the surface of the trees. For this species of woodpecker, there would be a significant advantage to have a longer beak in this environment.

Here I am as promised to hear the theory of evolution. I want to hear the arguments for it without debating because honestly without the Bible I could not really debate this subject so here I am to learn. Thanks in advance to those who take the time to teach me.
All the powers of darkness can't drown out a single word

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Post #8

Post by McCulloch »

nygreenguy wrote:I find it difficult to answer on many grounds. Are we talking about the first generation?
Yes. Offspring was meant to mean the first generation offspring of the original birds. With that caveat, this is not a difficult to answer question.
Gospel of John

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Post #9

Post by McCulloch »

There are numerous places where one can learn about the theory of evolution. This thread is not one of them. This thread asks a simple multiple choice question with regard to the theory of evolution. Anyone who cannot answer this question about the theory of evolution predicts about the first generation of birds in this example, cannot claim to understand the theory. If you don't understand the theory, you might be advised to first read up on it before attempting to debate it. It has been my experience that many creationists when attempting to argue against evolution are in fact arguing against a false straw-man version of evolution presented to them by their church leaders, who should have had more honesty and integrity than to grossly misrepresent what evolution is.

Spoiler Alert: I'm not going to post the answer. It is not a trick question.
Gospel of John

Nilloc James
Site Supporter

Post #10

Post by Nilloc James »

Would it not be Mendellian Genetics predicting what the off-spring look like. Evolution predicting that the longer beaks have a greater chance of reproductive success?