Question for Christians about Universe Theory

Getting to know more about a specific belief

Moderator: Moderators

MrSigmund77
Student

Question for Christians about Universe Theory

Post #1

Post by MrSigmund77 »

Last edited by MrSigmund77 on Thu Jun 04, 2020 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Adstar
Under Probation

Re: Question for Christians about Universe Theory

Post #2

Post by Adstar »

MrSigmund77 wrote:What would be your response to the statement "God did not create the universe, God IS the universe."
I would say it was a new age teaching that has nothing to do with the Actual God of Abraham who is the creator of the universe and is not the created.

To Christians there is a definite difference between God and His creation.

All Praise The Ancient Of Days

MrSigmund77
Student

Post #3

Post by MrSigmund77 »

Thanks, I appreciate your feedback! But I would not think of it as God is the created. I just think that God has always been and there was never a time where he wasn’t there. Time is something we as humans created but to God time is infinite.

Adstar
Under Probation

Post #4

Post by Adstar »

MrSigmund77 wrote:Thanks, I appreciate your feedback! But I would not think of it as God is the created. I just think that God has always been and there was never a time where he wasn’t there. Time is something we as humans created but to God time is infinite.
Well i interpret what you have said in the above as totaly different from your first statement you wanted a reaction to:
"God did not create the universe, God IS the universe."

So let me react to your new statement.
But I would not think of it as God is the created. I just think that God has always been and there was never a time where he wasn’t there.
Yes i believe God was not created but i believe the universe was Created, the universe also includes universe time. I believe God is independent of the universe and universe time that we exist within. He can see all our time from His time. Not sure what His time is, it could be an eternal present, It might be that our minds cannot understand at this stage f our existence, God's time.

Time is something we as humans created but to God time is infinite.
I don't believe we created time. We are locked into universe time but we do experience time differently as we go through our time. As in time flies when your having fun and when your bored time drags along slowly. This may be a real experience or only a perception caused by distraction. People definably experience time differently when they are asleep to when they are awake.

It is interesting to think about time isn't it. :D

JayDeist
Scholar

Post #5

Post by JayDeist »

Adstar wrote:
MrSigmund77 wrote:What would be your response to the statement "God did not create the universe, God IS the universe."
I would say it was a new age teaching that has nothing to do with the Actual God of Abraham who is the creator of the universe and is not the created.

To Christians there is a definite difference between God and His creation.

Pantheism is not just new age, but was also part of the Egyptian religion under the Pharoahs, and even earlier in African and Indian cultures. There has been a resurgence as of late with the pantheistic belief, especially with the new age movement. Even some Buddhists have pantheistic beliefs. It is more of a naturalistic belief, where one must be in harmony with nature. I find it very fascinating. But no, it has nothing to do with the Abrahamic religion.

I don't know about claiming your God to be the ACTUAL God. Everyone is entitled to opinion, I guess, but it's just better if it gets stated that way. :)

Logomachist
Student

God did not create the universe, God IS the universe? Kinda?

Post #6

Post by Logomachist »

I believe it is a defensible statement to say "God IS the universe". If God predated the universe, and created it, what did He create it out of in not Himself? When does a peice of God stop being God? I believe we all have peices of God within us; that's what we're made out of. When I was a child I was taught that God was everywhere (and therefore is within all matter). This is backed up by what I've read of the Kabbalah. If this is so, then God is the universe.

The first part of the statement- that God didn't create the universe- I find it much harder to accept. It goes against what I was taught and what I believe to be the essential characteristic of a Creator diety. It also goes against Genesis 1:1. So I think you'll have a much harder time reconciling it to a Judao-Christian worldview.

Burninglight
Guru

God and the universe

Post #7

Post by Burninglight »

I believe the endless universe is but a drop contained in the hand of God. Even if man could travel the speed of light and reach the outer band of the universe, the human mind is still not capable of understanding His greatness. However, when we or those who are His meet God face to face, then we shall know even as we are known! The human body is a miracle. It is written, "We are fearfully and wonderfully made" and we are made in the "image and likeness of God."

ttruscott
Site Supporter

Post #8

Post by ttruscott »

Pantheisim leaves me cold as I find nothing Godly in myself...

Peace to all, Ted
PCE Theology as I see it...

We had an existence with a free will in Sheol before the creation of the physical universe. Here we chose to be able to become holy or to be eternally evil in YHWH's sight. Then the physical universe was created and all sinners were sent to earth.

This theology debunks the need to base Christianity upon the blasphemy of creating us in Adam's sin.

Fides et Veritas

Post #9

Post by Fides et Veritas »

I guess for me, the only problem I see is philosophy instead of truth. Many attempt reason God into and out of things instead of just letting God tell you what he thinks, wants, expects and feels. I feel this statement is akin to telling us what the author 'thinks' about God instead of telling us what God says about himself.

For example the Bible clearly and concisely describes God as a spirit being, Composed of spirit matter. Not composed of physical matter as we and our universe are. God created something entirely different from himself when he made man. Though we are designed to be like God in the end and to join the God Family. God made us a little lower than the angels for a short time. But we are destined to be greater. God is reproducing himself through man. When this transformation is complete then we will look back on questions like this and probably roll our new spirit composed eyes.

My two cents,

Have a blessed day.

Burninglight
Guru

Post #10

Post by Burninglight »

Fides et Veritas wrote:
I guess for me, the only problem I see is philosophy instead of truth. Many attempt reason God into and out of things instead of just letting God tell you what he thinks, wants, expects and feels. I feel this statement is akin to telling us what the author 'thinks' about God instead of telling us what God says about himself.

For example the Bible clearly and concisely describes God as a spirit being, Composed of spirit matter. Not composed of physical matter as we and our universe are. God created something entirely different from himself when he made man. Though we are designed to be like God in the end and to join the God Family. God made us a little lower than the angels for a short time. But we are destined to be greater. God is reproducing himself through man. When this transformation is complete then we will look back on questions like this and probably roll our new spirit composed eyes.

My two cents,

Have a blessed day.
Entirely different? Did not god say, "Let us make man in our image and likness?"