Detecting Intelligence

Creationism, Evolution, and other science issues

Moderator: Moderators

otseng
Savant

Detecting Intelligence

Post #1

Post by otseng »

There are two fields that actively pursues detecting intelligence that exist outside of the earth. One is the SETI program that seeks to detect intelligent life on other planets. Another is the field of Intelligent Design that seeks to detect intelligent life outside of this universe. Both are looking for clues of the existence of intelligent life by using natural means of detection.

SETI:
SETI, the Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence, is an exploratory science that seeks evidence of life in the universe by looking for some signature of its technology. Our current understanding of life’s origin on Earth suggests that given a suitable environment and sufficient time, life will develop on other planets. Whether evolution will give rise to intelligent, technological civilizations is open to speculation. However, such a civilization could be detected across interstellar distances, and may actually offer our best opportunity for discovering extraterrestrial life in the near future.
ID:
Its fundamental claim is that intelligent causes are necessary to explain the complex, information-rich structures of biology, and that these causes are empirically detectable.
So, what would constitute as something (message, pattern) that required an intelligence cause?

How can we distinguish between an intelligent cause and a non-intelligent cause?

Would either of these be any different for SETI and for ID?

otseng
Savant

Post #31

Post by otseng »

QED wrote:I'm still convinced that the reason we haven't detected other intelligent transmissions is due to a mismatch in time-windows.
And I'm not convinced that any space aliens exist at all now or in the past. But, as juliod points out, whether they actually exist or not is not the main point of this thread. But, if we detected some message, how would we determine if it was from some intelligent source?
juliod wrote:I think we have all agreed that there is currently nothing observable in SETI that indicates that we are intercepting signals from an intelligent source.
Agreed.

I'd like to get back to distinguishing between an intelligent cause and a natural cause. First off, if we detect some encoded message, there would not be any other option except for two possible causes - an intelligent cause and a natural cause. Furthermore, I would suggest that we can rightly believe that it is an intelligent cause if we cannot determine any natural means of achieving that encoded message. This of course depends on our current understanding of natural processes. It could possibly have originated from natural causes, but because of our lack of understanding of natural processes, we might not be able to determine those natural causes. If this is the case, how can we be sure that it was from an intelligent cause?

Ian Parker
Student

Post #32

Post by Ian Parker »

I'd like to get back to distinguishing between an intelligent cause and a natural cause. First off, if we detect some encoded message, there would not be any other option except for two possible causes - an intelligent cause and a natural cause. Furthermore, I would suggest that we can rightly believe that it is an intelligent cause if we cannot determine any natural means of achieving that encoded message. This of course depends on our current understanding of natural processes. It could possibly have originated from natural causes, but because of our lack of understanding of natural processes, we might not be able to determine those natural causes. If this is the case, how can we be sure that it was from an intelligent cause?
If you have Pi or e there can be no natural explanation. If what you have is a spectral imbalance (the Earth is as bright as a star at radio wavelengths) there can be alternaives. If you look at Google groups in Science and technology and look ast rec.aviation.military you will find a discussion on SETI where I make just this point. If you see oxygen on a planet however it will be hard to argue against Intelligence as being the reason for a spectral imbalance. Unfortunately the discussion moved towards Black Hole theory. I said that if the mass was that of the Earth (Swartzchild radius = 9mm) the frequency distribution of gas and dust would be similar to that of digital television and mobile phones. No oxygen - look for unusual star system

otseng
Savant

Post #33

Post by otseng »

otseng wrote:If this is the case, how can we be sure that it was from an intelligent cause?
Ian Parker wrote: If you have Pi or e there can be no natural explanation.
To answer my own question, I think a factor to determine the probability of an intelligent cause would be the amount of information in the message. If there are no known natural explanation of the cause of the message, then the probability of an intelligent cause would be proportional to the amount of information in the message.

So, if we have the message "2718", then it would be a low probability of an intelligent cause. But if it was "2718281828459045235360287471352 66249775724709369995", then it would be a higher probability of an intelligent cause.

Ian Parker
Student

Post #34

Post by Ian Parker »

otseng wrote: So, if we have the message "2718", then it would be a low probability of an intelligent cause. But if it was "2718281828459045235360287471352 66249775724709369995", then it would be a higher probability of an intelligent cause.
Yes this is so. However we cannot assume they will be using the decimal system. e and Pi should be expressed as binary numbers.

QED
Prodigy

Post #35

Post by QED »

otseng wrote:To answer my own question, I think a factor to determine the probability of an intelligent cause would be the amount of information in the message. If there are no known natural explanation of the cause of the message, then the probability of an intelligent cause would be proportional to the amount of information in the message.

So, if we have the message "2718", then it would be a low probability of an intelligent cause. But if it was "2718281828459045235360287471352 66249775724709369995", then it would be a higher probability of an intelligent cause.
Information? What's that? :D Binary is the natural communications language of the universe but if I simply threshold the output of a RF detector so it gives me ones and zeros I will see whole sequences of numbers like your examples above (when tuned between radio stations so there it's only receiving 'static'). There needs to be a pattern in the data. This might be something we recognize (like PI) or there are statistical analyses that can reveal other patterns. Submarines are always on the lookout for 'tonals' - the sort of 'ring' you get when you twang a wine-glass. This sort of signal will stand out in a noisy background and can indicate the presence of intelligence nearby. A typical source of such a tonal is when someone drops a saucepan on the galley floor. Of course nature produces her own tonals, there are many species of marine life that do this and in space there are certain types of star and quasi-stellar objects that create repeating patterns. So its not easy ascribing intelligence to a signal.

Ian Parker
Student

Post #36

Post by Ian Parker »

A typical source of such a tonal is when someone drops a saucepan on the galley floor. Of course nature produces her own tonals, there are many species of marine life that do this and in space there are certain types of star and quasi-stellar objects that create repeating patterns. So its not easy ascribing intelligence to a signal.
Some time ago someone asked me what a random number was. I said that you could not tell whether or not a number was random but you could detect the properties. e and Pi in fact pass all the tests of randomness although they are not random.

If something is dropped what we in fact hear are harmonics. Now if we receive any signal the first thing we will do is apply an FFT. A cup/saucer will show a characteristic pattern. Anything a submarine sees will also follow this pattern. e and Pi show up as random precisely because the deinition of these numbers meanss that they cannot be expressed in terms of sines/cosines. They are in fact not expressible in any physical way. There are inb fact rigorous proofs of this.

Jose
Guru

Post #37

Post by Jose »

otseng wrote:I'd like to get back to distinguishing between an intelligent cause and a natural cause. First off, if we detect some encoded message, there would not be any other option except for two possible causes - an intelligent cause and a natural cause. Furthermore, I would suggest that we can rightly believe that it is an intelligent cause if we cannot determine any natural means of achieving that encoded message. This of course depends on our current understanding of natural processes. It could possibly have originated from natural causes, but because of our lack of understanding of natural processes, we might not be able to determine those natural causes. If this is the case, how can we be sure that it was from an intelligent cause?
You make an excellent point, which, I think, gets at the heart of the ID movement. I'll paraphrase:
  1. it's reasonable to infer an intelligent cause if we can't think of a natural cause...
  2. ...depending on how much we understand of the natural world...
  3. ...with the recognition that the inference of intelligence is tentative until we know for sure.
The ID movement stops at statement 1.

The mental gymnastics of the ID folks, in terms of "irreducible complexity" and "complex specified information" are attempts to answer your question. They fail because they don't take into account what we actually do know about natural causes, and thus build their logic on an incorrect foundation. Still, it's an actual attempt to find an answer.

My personal opinion is that we can't ever be sure that a coded message is from an intelligent cause, because we can't ever be sure that we understand all of nature. Where ID fails here is that it excludes the possibility that we might be able to study nature some more, and maybe figure it out.

We tend to get into arguments when some scientists say that we must rule out intelligent causes, no matter what. After all, the logic goes, the function of science is to determine how much of the world can be explained by natural causes. Therefore, un-natural causes (i.e. intelligent causes) are not part of science. Well...that's fine; it's working from the definition, which is clear enough. The problem comes from the fact that the natural explanation is often at odds with the religious explanation...

...which is where your statement is extremely useful. Religious explanations (by which, in this context, we mean the explanations of all religions except our own) have grown out of people's attempts to answer your question. "Here is something we can't explain...Is it natural? Is it a result of actions of the gods? We know of no natural causes, so we'll say it's the gods." Every story of origins incorporates creatures and features of the world in which the people live. In Africa, there may be elephants or ants. In North America, there may be ravens or coyotes. In the western Mediterranean, there may be deserts that people wander around in. Stories may seem fantastical, or they may seem more like common life, but whatever the ancient history, it's not like that now. The gods have gone away, or there are covenants not to do cataclysmic things again, or whatever.

That is: the religious explanations are rather old answers to your question, following your logic that intelligent causes are reasonable in the absence of other explanations.

As scientific investigation of the natural world has progressed, we can see most of these stories (usually, all but our own) as pre-scientific explanations--step 1 above. In my opinion, the best religions are the ones that have been able to adapt to the increase of scientific understanding, and accept their origin stories as important wisdom handed down from generation to generation as stories. The Great Holy Book is itself coded information, and the Intelligence who gave us whose words knows all about the natural world, having made it. He cannot have given us stories that prove the natural world is wrong. We just have to figure out the code he used in the stories. Some religions have; others have chosen not to.

The above discussion pertains to "coded messages" such as DNA or--even using the same jargon--messenger RNA, commonly called "message." ID would have us believe these indicate intelligence, when no such conclusion is warranted.

With respect to messages from outer space, I agree with Ian Parker: pi or e would convince me that whoever sent the message knew how to calculate these numbers. I say this, of course, with otseng's caveat: there may be ways that natural systems can generate messages with this information in them, and I just don't know what they are. But what the hey--until I learn otherwise, I'll accept the explanation that there's intelligence out there. I might wonder if it's all that smart an intelligence, if it's trying to contact us, but that's another discussion.
Panza llena, corazon contento

Ian Parker
Student

Post #38

Post by Ian Parker »

Jose wrote:

...which is where your statement is extremely useful. Religious explanations (by which, in this context, we mean the explanations of all religions except our own) have grown out of people's attempts to answer your question. "Here is something we can't explain...Is it natural? Is it a result of actions of the gods? We know of no natural causes, so we'll say it's the gods." Every story of origins incorporates creatures and features of the world in which the people live. In Africa, there may be elephants or ants. In North America, there may be ravens or coyotes. In the western Mediterranean, there may be deserts that people wander around in. Stories may seem fantastical, or they may seem more like common life, but whatever the ancient history, it's not like that now. The gods have gone away, or there are covenants not to do cataclysmic things again, or whatever.
There is in fact a thread on Intelligent Design which I participated in. Basically I argued that Intelligence could not have evolved in a purely random way. If we are to follow a mathematical approach. I showed that the sequences Pi and e are not susceptible of any natural explanation. The procedure in terms if ID would be to express mathematical theorem proving in terms of an initial starting point, and to prove that a natural explanation, in the form of survival of the fittest, could not have produced it. In fact I think the thread may have got close to showing this.

Quantum mechanics was a very interesting red herring, it was not quite a red herring because it did illustrate the process by which we look at theorem proving. I looked at the Shor algorithm, which was (in essence) to do with the solution of an elliptic diophantine, and showed that the QM computer had to contend with theorems like the Taniyama Shimura conjecture (now proved by Andrew Wiles).

There are a number of points which should be made here. The first of these is that if ID is indeed proved God may not be the designer. Most people would say He/She was, but there are 2 other possibilities.

1) Infinite Gynothropism. You simply try and try in an infinite universe until you get the answer. Biologists talk about sequences of daughters so when discussing Evolution I will use this term in preference to "anthropism"
2) Timeline. Here it is postulated that a timeline is established by means of going backwards and forwards in time. What determines what is along a timeline? Arguments of a thermodynamic nature will help to establish timeline solutions as a timeline represents a maximum entropy solution which small perturbations cannot affect. Does God have a part in selecting timelines?

I have absolutely no doubt that the vast variety of life is explained, and explained completely by Evolution. If you ask the question "How does life on the Gallopades Islands differ from that on the South American mainland and why?" there is only one reasonable answer and that is the one provided by Evolution. The answer to ID is that Intelligence could not indeed have evolved except through design, infinite gynothropism or timeline but that life follows minimum information, or maximum entropy rules. That is to say that evolution within a phyla is just that evolution.

There is one other point and this is about the politics of ID. The Kansas Science Standards go far beyond any statistical considerations. If the standards simply stated that the statistics of Evolution did not stack and one should consider some other force/influence was at work during the evolutionary process I doubt if the scientific community would raise too many objections. The Kansas Standards seem to imply that the possibility that nothing evolved should be considered and even that the purposes of science to provide naturalistic explanations. The protagonists of the KSS are full 4004BC creationalists and make no secret of the fact.

Jason Spaceman who introduces such topics into "sci.skeptic" in Google Groups .thinks that few people from Kansas will get to study Biology at university. Actually the main damage is probably done to the public understanding of Science. Budding scientists will probably go to summer schools anyway. Scientists rely on the lay public to serve on such things as ethics committees, and this is where the real danger lies. I think we all have a responsibility to ensure that Biotechnology is developed in a safe socially responsible way

One of the fundamental objections to ID is that it has no predictive value. In the Kansas Science Standards thread in sci.skeptic, the later contributions have been on just this philosophical point. The philosophers are effectively claiming that any explanation is a naturalistic one. Things like Gödel's theorem are flying around. As far as Biology and Evolution is concerned the conclusion is quite clear. Evolutionary biologists must provide explanations that minimizes the information that needs to be put into the system.

In fact if you look at the statistics one finds quite clearly that we have minimum information (or maximum entropy) consistent with a basic gynothropic timeline. This is non zero implying ID at some level.