Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

God and Babies

Post #1

Post by JoeyKnothead »

There's recent discussion of killing babies, and how God may or may not 'preciate such.

For debate:

Who here would kill a baby because a god didn't like it?
I might be Teddy Roosevelt, but I ain't.
-Punkinhead Martin

dianaiad
Site Supporter

Post #21

Post by dianaiad »

Autodidact wrote:[

I agree that the men that wrote them were aiming for truth. Apparently, they missed wildly. For that reason, I don't base my belief system on their odd collection of tribal mythology. Why do you?
I don't.

Autodidact
Prodigy

Post #22

Post by Autodidact »

dianaiad wrote:
Autodidact wrote:[

I agree that the men that wrote them were aiming for truth. Apparently, they missed wildly. For that reason, I don't base my belief system on their odd collection of tribal mythology. Why do you?
I don't.
You don't? You don't believe in and worship the God of the Bible?

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #23

Post by JoeyKnothead »

From Post 13:
dianaiad wrote: Here's the thing; He wouldn't tell me to.

There's no 'if,' here. He wouldn't. To put it in terms an atheist..or non-theist..might accept, that's like asking what I would do if Captain Ahab applied for a job as cabin boy on the MV Steve Irwin.
I can only conclude you don't wish to answer a simple question.

If you don't wish to answer the question in the OP, I respectfully request you not muddy the thread with side issues unrelated to the one question the OP asks.
-Punkinhead Martin

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #24

Post by JoeyKnothead »

Shermana wrote: ...
However, this question appears to be ultimately entrapment unless the OP admits that it involves a real being called "a god" which demands such from the "believer" and that it is not some psychotic episode.
The existence of the god in question is assumed, and the OP doesn't consider a psychotic episode to be occurring.
-Punkinhead Martin

Braveheart
Banned
Banned

Post #25

Post by Braveheart »

I'm feeling lazy today, so I'm just gonna' pull a previous post of mine out of the hole...
Why is killing wrong? who says what is wrong for us is wrong for God? I like to look at it this way: a man plants a garden. He has full rights to do whatever the heck he wants with it, because he planted it. However, if a weed tries to kill one of his plants, he has full right to beat the livin' tar out of that weed. God created us. He has full rights do whatever he wants with us. Other people do not. Get the picture?
I am not afraid... I was born to do this.
Joan of Arc :2gun:

Peace if possible, truth at all costs.
Martin Luther

The Church of God she will not bend her knees
To the gods of this world though they promise her peace
She stands her ground
Stands firm on the Rock
Watch their walls tumble down when she lives out His love
Rich Mullins

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #26

Post by JoeyKnothead »

From Post 25:
Braveheart wrote: I'm feeling lazy today, so I'm just gonna' pull a previous post of mine out of the hole...

Quote:

Why is killing wrong? who says what is wrong for us is wrong for God? I like to look at it this way: a man plants a garden. He has full rights to do whatever the heck he wants with it, because he planted it. However, if a weed tries to kill one of his plants, he has full right to beat the livin' tar out of that weed. God created us. He has full rights do whatever he wants with us. Other people do not. Get the picture?
The picture I get is of a person who doesn't wish to answer the one question asked in the OP.
-Punkinhead Martin

100%atheist
Prodigy

Re: God and Babies

Post #27

Post by 100%atheist »

JoeyKnothead wrote:There's recent discussion of killing babies, and how God may or may not 'preciate such.

For debate:

Who here would kill a baby because a god didn't like it?
At last, I would like to directly respond to your question. I have two versions:
1) I will kill babies without a blink if this would be the will of God. Who am I after all to have my own thoughts.

2) I would go against God's will and I will be most likely sent to hell because I put my moral principles above God's commands.

Hard to tell how I would behave if God reveals himself and starts manual managements on this planet.

salvation2011
Apprentice

Post #28

Post by salvation2011 »

jgh7 wrote:Yea, it's horrible to think of killing a baby because God doesn't like it. Now killing a fetus because the mother doesn't like it, that's a different story :whistle:
Indeed! AND, how would you be able to determine who is doing the disliking.... the "voice in the head" telling you to kill it could be from God or from a psychosis :-k By psychosis... I mean pregnancy induced or just flat out there... and as you mentioned lets not forget the human factor for someone not wanting a baby and aborting it before its born (although i think the OP is talking about killing once the baby is here).
Let those who have ears hear, those discerning ones will see the truth, not what the world wants them to see as "truth." Let your biases go so you can truly hear the word of God...

Goat
Site Supporter

Post #29

Post by Goat »

salvation2011 wrote:
jgh7 wrote:Yea, it's horrible to think of killing a baby because God doesn't like it. Now killing a fetus because the mother doesn't like it, that's a different story :whistle:
Indeed! AND, how would you be able to determine who is doing the disliking.... the "voice in the head" telling you to kill it could be from God or from a psychosis :-k By psychosis... I mean pregnancy induced or just flat out there... and as you mentioned lets not forget the human factor for someone not wanting a baby and aborting it before its born (although i think the OP is talking about killing once the baby is here).
Of course, there is a substantial difference between a baby and a fetus. .. and a claim that "God told me', and a choice a woman makes about her own body.

I would like either of you to go to the thread that asked and answer the question.

'if you were in a fertility clinic that was on fire, and had a choice to save either a baby , or some embryo's, which would you save'?
“What do you think science is? There is nothing magical about science. It is simply a systematic way for carefully and thoroughly observing nature and using consistent logic to evaluate results. So which part of that exactly do you disagree with? Do you disagree with being thorough? Using careful observation? Being systematic? Or using consistent logic?�

Steven Novella

Strider324
Banned
Banned

Post #30

Post by Strider324 »

Braveheart wrote:I'm feeling lazy today, so I'm just gonna' pull a previous post of mine out of the hole...
Humans are not plants. And your god arbitrarily kills the plants as well as the weeds. And if your concept of your god is that he views us with the same contempt or lack of empathy that your truculent little gardener does, you can keep him.

Yes, you are being awfully lazy.....
8-)
"Do Good for Good is Good to do. Spurn Bribe of Heaven and Threat of Hell"
- The Kasidah of Haji abdu al-Yezdi