Question for people who pray...

Getting to know more about a particular group

Moderator: Moderators

lookwhatidid
Student

Question for people who pray...

Post #1

Post by lookwhatidid »

A brief (simple) question: christians, do you sincerely believe in the "power of prayer"- as in the effectiveness of it? do you also believe in the old adage that "god has a plan"? if so, how do you reconcile the two beliefs?

Euphrates
Scholar

Post #11

Post by Euphrates »

Our prayers aren't meant to change His mind, but to express our hearts. Prayers are effective because God can use prayers to influence us. They are also effective because God exists outside time, so you can't apply a temporal concept like causality to God's plan. There's no conflict, but it's a good question.

DiscipleOfTruth
Scholar

Post #12

Post by DiscipleOfTruth »

I don't believe in the existence of a God but I also don't believe that there isn't a God. I just admit to myself that I'm not sure if God exists. So what happens is I pray incase there is one. If there isn't one then the prayer goes no where. If there is one then maybe I'll get lucky and eventually get a response. Nothing to lose and possibly everything to gain.

Baz
Site Supporter

Post #13

Post by Baz »

I pray and believe that I benefit from it.

I have no way of knowing what if any other effect it has but that has no relevant s to my commune.

O:)
\"Give me a good question over a good answer anyday.\"

olavisjo
Site Supporter

Re: Question for people who pray...

Post #14

Post by olavisjo »

lookwhatidid wrote:A brief (simple) question: Christians, do you sincerely believe in the "power of prayer"- as in the effectiveness of it? do you also believe in the old adage that "god has a plan"? if so, how do you reconcile the two beliefs?
In my opinion prayer is not a way to access the big ATM in the sky, but rather talking things over with the one who does not change his mind, till I change my mind to see things God's way. Which is better than what I asked for in the first place.
I tell you the truth, if God gave me even a fraction of what I ask for I would be in a fine mess. :-k
"I believe in no religion. There is absolutely no proof for any of them, and from a philosophical standpoint Christianity is not even the best. All religions, that is, all mythologies to give them their proper name, are merely man’s own invention..."

C.S. Lewis

AcrylicInk
Student

Post #15

Post by AcrylicInk »

I don't believe that prayer is your opportunity to give God your shopping list. The purpose of it is to express your feelings to God and develop your relationship with him. By praying, you become more dependent on God rather than going out and trying to fix the world's problems by yourself :)

Baz
Site Supporter

Post #16

Post by Baz »

I hope I’m not speaking out of place but I just had to say how refreshing it was to read the last two posts, both (judging from user groups) from strong Christian camps. I have come across many people calling themselves Christians who, seem to believe that they can use prayer as a shopping list. Even though many say they don’t expect to be given everything they ask for, it still sometimes seems sort of none Christian to want for yourself.
None of this is to say that I don’t also know many more Christians and others who sincerely pray for others.

I personally believe quality prayer to be centred around inner peace and understanding.
O:)
\"Give me a good question over a good answer anyday.\"