Do Humanists worship Humanity?

Argue for and against religions and philosophies which are not Christian

Moderator: Moderators

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Post #1

Post by McCulloch »

dianaiad wrote: Do you know what the difference between humanism and theism is, exactly?

Simple. There is only one, and it is found only in who is worshiped. Theists worship a deity outside themselves, and humanists worship themselves. As a group, but still.
Examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
First Epistle to the Church of the Thessalonians
The truth will make you free.
Gospel of John

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Re: Do Humanists worship Humanity?

Post #31

Post by McCulloch »

Burninglight wrote: My God is my Creator, he is also yours.
Thank you for your opinion on this matter.
Burninglight wrote: IMO, a reward in your case would be having faith to believe in God and in Jesus Christ.
A reward from God might be that He overrides my normal rational skeptical thought process to inflict a form of selective gullibility to me as he has done with you. Praise the Lord and Hallelujah.
Burninglight wrote: Faith can be gullibility, if you have it in the wrong place,
No. Faith is always gullibility. Gullibility is believing stuff without sufficient supporting evidence. Faith is believing stuff without sufficient supporting evidence.
Burninglight wrote: but all people have faith to one degree or other; for instance, when you sit in a chair for the first time, you have the faith it will hold you up.
You are equivocating here. The faith you describe about a chair is a completely different thing. I trust that a chair will hold me up for a number of really good reasons: I've seen lots of other people sitting on chairs; I have sat in many chairs myself; they are generally as a pattern reliable supports. On the other hand, I've not seen any gods; I've not trusted any gods (I don't even know how I might do that); there is no general pattern of success with regard to the many different gods that humans worship. You might claim that your particular god is different from the rest, but from where I sit, I cannot distinguish.
Burninglight wrote: Does that mean gullibility? Your answer is no better than mine. Jesus said, unless you, become as a child, you shall not enter the kingdom of heaven. We must have child like belief not be childish!
And Paul said that when he became a man, he put away childish things.
Is being like a child with regard to beliefs a virtue? Children are easily fooled. Children accept authority more easily than adults. Children have had less experience with deceivers, hoaxes and charlatans. Children accept simple ready-made answers and are confused by doubts, unknowns and ambiguity. And you claim that this is how we all should be, in order to be pleasing to your God?
Gospel of John

Burninglight
Guru

Post #32

Post by Burninglight »

McCulloch wrote:
Burninglight wrote: My God is my Creator, he is also yours.
Thank you for your opinion on this matter.
Burninglight wrote: IMO, a reward in your case would be having faith to believe in God and in Jesus Christ.
A reward from God might be that He overrides my normal rational skeptical thought process to inflict a form of selective gullibility to me as he has done with you. Praise the Lord and Hallelujah.
Burninglight wrote: Faith can be gullibility, if you have it in the wrong place,
No. Faith is always gullibility. Gullibility is believing stuff without sufficient supporting evidence. Faith is believing stuff without sufficient supporting evidence.
Burninglight wrote: but all people have faith to one degree or other; for instance, when you sit in a chair for the first time, you have the faith it will hold you up.
You are equivocating here. The faith you describe about a chair is a completely different thing. I trust that a chair will hold me up for a number of really good reasons: I've seen lots of other people sitting on chairs; I have sat in many chairs myself; they are generally as a pattern reliable supports. On the other hand, I've not seen any gods; I've not trusted any gods (I don't even know how I might do that); there is no general pattern of success with regard to the many different gods that humans worship. You might claim that your particular god is different from the rest, but from where I sit, I cannot distinguish.
Burninglight wrote: Does that mean gullibility? Your answer is no better than mine. Jesus said, unless you, become as a child, you shall not enter the kingdom of heaven. We must have child like belief not be childish!
And Paul said that when he became a man, he put away childish things.
Is being like a child with regard to beliefs a virtue? Children are easily fooled. Children accept authority more easily than adults. Children have had less experience with deceivers, hoaxes and charlatans. Children accept simple ready-made answers and are confused by doubts, unknowns and ambiguity. And you claim that this is how we all should be, in order to be pleasing to your God?
the answer to your question is yes

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Post #33

Post by McCulloch »

McCulloch wrote: And Paul said that when he became a man, he put away childish things.
Burninglight wrote: the answer to your question is yes
Then according to Burninglight, Christianity is for those who are easily fooled, deceived, and taken advantage of, who unquestioningly accept authority, who are confused by doubts, unknowns and ambiguity.
Bertrand Russell wrote: So far as I can remember, there is not one word in the Gospels in praise of intelligence.
In fact, according to Burninglight, intelligence is an impediment to faith.
Gospel of John

Burninglight
Guru

Post #34

Post by Burninglight »

McCulloch wrote:
McCulloch wrote: And Paul said that when he became a man, he put away childish things.
Burninglight wrote: the answer to your question is yes
Then according to Burninglight, Christianity is for those who are easily fooled, deceived, and taken advantage of, who unquestioningly accept authority, who are confused by doubts, unknowns and ambiguity.
Bertrand Russell wrote: So far as I can remember, there is not one word in the Gospels in praise of intelligence.
In fact, according to Burninglight, intelligence is an impediment to faith.
If you read carefully and further back in the dialogue, you notice that I said we should be childlike not childish. I am saying yes to being childlike in faith not being foolish and naive.
I'll give you an example of child like faith, and then we can but this to rest: People that believed in God got together to pray for rain. It was hot and hadn't rained for months. People showed up from all over town with with fans to cool themselves from the heat; then, comes this little girl with an umbella and raincoat with boots. That little girl showed her faith. When someone has faith, there are works associated with it. I have faith in God; that is why I am talking with you; otherwise, I wouldn't care to reach you with truth that can save you soul!

sayak83
Scholar

Post #35

Post by sayak83 »

people are proselytizing in forums now. Bravo. Keep it up.

The (fully material) soul of us poor humanists are in very fine condition, thank you. Stay on topic please.

If humanist manifesto talks about high ideals and greater good, then I will disagree with the manifesto. I hope to cherish the small small happiness inherent in a human life and hope everybody have the opportunity to do so too. The actions that entail this (good education, healthcare, law and order, freedoms and rights) are the ones that humanists should support. Just be human. That's it.

Burninglight
Guru

humanism

Post #36

Post by Burninglight »

Humanism is a religion that leads to a Christless eternity. Proselytizing is a big part of Christianity. With mutual respect and tolerance, it require us to witness for Christ in season and out of season. I also had to clarify the misconception posted about me.
To get back on topic:
IMO, Humanism is the worship of mankind and a form of idolatry that leads to death!

sayak83
Scholar

Re: humanism

Post #37

Post by sayak83 »

Burninglight wrote:Humanism is a religion that leads to a Christless eternity. Proselytizing is a big part of Christianity. With mutual respect and tolerance, it require us to witness for Christ in season and out of season. I also had to clarify the misconception posted about me.
To get back on topic:
IMO, Humanism is the worship of mankind and a form of idolatry that leads to death!
Ok...your brand of Christianity leads to utter self delusion and insanity.

Burninglight
Guru

Re: humanism

Post #38

Post by Burninglight »

sayak83 wrote:
Burninglight wrote:Humanism is a religion that leads to a Christless eternity. Proselytizing is a big part of Christianity. With mutual respect and tolerance, it require us to witness for Christ in season and out of season. I also had to clarify the misconception posted about me.
To get back on topic:
Ok...your brand of Christianity leads to utter self delusion and insanity.
What brand of Christianity to you think I have? If you really believe that, you'd be better off with a brand of Christianity that doesn't lead you to delusion and insanity than being a Humanist!