Divorce should be illegal

Two hot topics for the price of one

Moderator: Moderators

Autodidact
Prodigy

Divorce should be illegal

Post #1

Post by Autodidact »

Christians, especially Christians who believe that our laws should have a Biblical basis, should be fighting to make divorce illegal, or, more precisely, remarriage after divorce. Divorce is clearly contrary to God's law, there is no question about that. At least, the only question is whether it should be totally prohibited, or only allowed in the case of adultery. It undermines the family and is detrimental to children. Therefore, it should be outlawed. Second marriages after divorce should not be legally recognized. Christians should unite to fight for these laws.

I wonder why they don't?

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Re: Divorce should be illegal

Post #2

Post by McCulloch »

Examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
First Epistle to the Church of the Thessalonians
The truth will make you free.
Gospel of John

SomePunk
Scholar

Post #3

Post by SomePunk »

Autodidact wrote:Christians, especially Christians who believe that our laws should have a Biblical basis, should be fighting to make divorce illegal, or, more precisely, remarriage after divorce. Divorce is clearly contrary to God's law, there is no question about that. At least, the only question is whether it should be totally prohibited, or only allowed in the case of adultery. It undermines the family and is detrimental to children. Therefore, it should be outlawed. Second marriages after divorce should not be legally recognized. Christians should unite to fight for these laws.

I wonder why they don't?
Actually people shouldn’t marry because of religion. They should marry because they want to marry, because they share a common bond, interests, love, and passion. If a couple can’t overcome their differences, then they shouldn’t jump the gun and marry to begin with.

See I am learning more and more about this whole marriage thing! It might not be long before I find someone or something to marry. :eyebrow:

Not only that, but if people marry in a church they should get a divorce in a church! They should give their de-vows (denouncing vows) as to way they hate each other and want to separate. That would make for a good Sunday gathering. Then they can repent, be washed from their sins and remarry all in the same day. WoW! If that isn’t romance I don’t know what is.

100%atheist
Prodigy

Post #4

Post by 100%atheist »

Autodidact wrote:Christians, especially Christians who believe that our laws should have a Biblical basis, should be fighting to make divorce illegal, or, more precisely, remarriage after divorce. Divorce is clearly contrary to God's law, there is no question about that. At least, the only question is whether it should be totally prohibited, or only allowed in the case of adultery. It undermines the family and is detrimental to children. Therefore, it should be outlawed. Second marriages after divorce should not be legally recognized. Christians should unite to fight for these laws.

I wonder why they don't?
I am not sure why you believe that Christian marriage is so well described in the Bible. In fact ... the Bible provides plenty of guidance that makes "traditional marriage" as some Christians understand it today simply redundant. For example, you can watch the video with all the information you might need to live a long happy life and having marriages with many women.
[youtube][/youtube]

Autodidact
Prodigy

Post #5

Post by Autodidact »

What? No Christians here agree that second marriages should not be recognized by the state? I'm shocked, I tell you, shocked.

bjs
Prodigy

Post #6

Post by bjs »

Most Christians do not think that religious beliefs or morality should be enforced legally, particularly in a democracy. For a Christian marriage should be for life (allowing for the known biblical exceptions to this), but that does not mean that I expect everyone to live by Christian standards.

There are many things that I think are morally wrong (lying, greed, vanity, selfishness, cruelty, drunkenness, sexual immorality, etc.) but that doesn’t mean that I always think that they should be illegal.
Understand that you might believe. Believe that you might understand. –Augustine of Hippo

WinePusher

Post #7

Post by WinePusher »

I wonder why they don't?
Do you speak as a Christian or as a non-Christian telling Christians what they should do?

I'm not in favor of divorce, and I doubt anybody that belongs to the human race does. It's an unfortunate situation that negatively affects children (if there are any) and marks the corrosion of a union between two people who once shared love for each other. But while it's bad, it's not bad to the point where it should be outlawed.

Autodidact
Prodigy

Post #8

Post by Autodidact »

WinePusher wrote:

I wonder why they don't?
Do you speak as a Christian or as a non-Christian telling Christians what they should do?
I speak as a victim of Christian hypocrisy.
I'm not in favor of divorce, and I doubt anybody that belongs to the human race does. It's an unfortunate situation that negatively affects children (if there are any) and marks the corrosion of a union between two people who once shared love for each other. But while it's bad, it's not bad to the point where it should be outlawed.
Let's put it this way: Christians, do you think second marriages after divorce should be legal? Why or why not?

Autodidact
Prodigy

Post #9

Post by Autodidact »

*crickets*

lo_rez
Apprentice

Post #10

Post by lo_rez »

WinePusher wrote:

I wonder why they don't?

That sounds an awful lot like you'd be open to it becoming illegal at some point in the future.