Why do you believe what you believe ?

Chat viewable by general public

Moderator: Moderators

Illyricum
Apprentice

Why do you believe what you believe ?

Post #1

Post by Illyricum »

Just a question, wether you believe in God or something else, why do you believe what you believe ?
So from Jerusalem all the way around to Illyricum, I have fully proclaimed the gospel of Christ.

Romans 15:19

adherent
Apprentice

Post #2

Post by adherent »

Hm... well I was born into a Christian family, so there you go. And its not blind faith a go by now, since I've grown and all taht stuff, I have found evidence of God which makes my belief more firm.

Piper Plexed
Site Supporter

Post #3

Post by Piper Plexed »

Belief is so personal, most people have quite a path to share. For me there are some very real occurences in my life where my prayers were answered quite fully and I always received more than I could have ever hoped for. The common thread in my greatest blessings were that the prayers were made during very emotional, crisis points in my life and my focal points were always my concerns for others.

1- I was about 12 and had spent about 3 months in the hospital. A post surgical Staff infection destroyed 5 inches of my achilles tendon. I was pretty much OK with my fate though what threw me into crisis was my parents pain in the knowledge that I most likely would never walk again without the support of a leg brace. There were many tears my parents couldn't contain them, as strong as they were, I cried for them. When they left I prayed so hard, I didn't know what to say other than to please allow me to walk so my Parents wouldn't hurt any longer. For the next 3 months I wore the brace and one day I decided to test my limits and see if I could figure a way to walk without it, I did. For the following 3 months (I thought I would get in trouble if I got caught walking without it) when no one was around I would run to the bathroom etc. without it on. Well one day I got caught. Next day off to the Orthopedic and low and behold, I grew the tendon back. I believe we left the Brace at the office and Dr. G was going to forward it to an appropriate charity.

There are three other times in my life that were as monumental as the above mentioned. I share this story as a Thank You to God. To not share would be ungrateful and my blessings (should):( always a part of my every day reality.
Last edited by Piper Plexed on Fri May 14, 2004 11:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
*"I think, therefore I am" (Cogito, ergo sum)-Descartes
** I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that ...

otseng
Savant

Post #4

Post by otseng »

Piper Plexed wrote: There are three other times in my life that were as monumental as the above mentioned. I share this story as a Thank You to God. To not share would be ungrateful and my blessings (should):( always a part of my every day reality.
Cool story. Thanks for sharing. :)

Illyricum
Apprentice

Post #5

Post by Illyricum »

Yes, thank you Piper Plexed,I'm very glad you shared that with us. Well, since I was the one that originally started this thread I guess I should state why I believe what I believe, huh?

Well, like adherent I was born into a christian family, so God and Jesus and christianity were normal things at our house, and I accepted Jesus as my Savior at the age of seven. Of course, then I was still pretty young and I didn't even consider believing in anything else. God was real because your parents told you he was real, so you believed in him. Well, as time when on and I grew older their were several instants when I doubted God "Was he real?" "Can I really trust him?" but no matter how many times I doubted him he never let me down. He has showed me time and time again that he is real and that he loves me. These past two years have been hardest years of my life, there have been many problems and things I struggled with that God has helped me trough, and I know if there wasn't a God I probably wouldn't be here today. I've seen the many things God has done, I have seen the power of his words that were written many, many years ago still at work today, I have felt the love and peace that comes from knowing him, I have seen God's work in my own life, I have a relationship with him and I know he is real. This is why I believe what I believe.
So from Jerusalem all the way around to Illyricum, I have fully proclaimed the gospel of Christ.

Romans 15:19

emmy27sf
Student

Post #6

Post by emmy27sf »

i believe what i believe because its so real to me,ive grown up in the church and its obviously logical but after i became a Christian and such i was like ya w/e. but now when i worship and pray its so real and so awsome i love being me

NuclearTBag
Student

Why I beleive what I beleive

Post #7

Post by NuclearTBag »

I am an Atheist because of inconsistency and immoralities in the bible, also the science has a lot to do with it too, something that is tangible and falsifiable is always good, and I have a hard time beleiving in things I can not see, If I can't see it I cant beleive it. I am also a skeptic.

filiasan
Student

my belief?

Post #8

Post by filiasan »

As for most of you, I'm certain, my beliefs were almost completely shaped by the events of my life. There was once a man I knew, when I was about 16, who had said "it's 10% what happens to you, 90% what you make of it. I still believe this to be true. Of course, that 90% is largely due to genetics. So, I'm going a step further: 10% what happens, 70% genetic attributes, 20% mind-over-matter. When you get a girl like me, a spirited girl who was once oppressed, but bounced back with a vengeance, you're going to get someone who follows her own path, and resists the impulse to be swayed by the majority. To sum this up, I believe what I believe because I refuse to be burdened by the very things I know that burden those that still try to convince me to change my mind. I'm a striver!

Angry McFurious
Student

Post #9

Post by Angry McFurious »

I researched my religion and searched for my answers for years. I am still doing this long process but I believe in what I believe because I researched my answers and didn;t take "you have to have faith" as a reason to have to believe in something.

My opinion it's either christianity or Judaism. (still lookin')
:dance: ~Jews Rock~ :dance:

perspective
Apprentice

Post #10

Post by perspective »

It's funny you ask "Why?". I don't believe in the supernatural. It wasn't a choice. I guess I can look at the reasons why I don't believe and objectively suppose it's because I need physical evidence that I don't have and that's why I don't believe - but for someone like me to not believe in the supernatural, it's not a choice - it's a given.

Short answer - I believe that no supernatural beings exist because not only have I personally never seen evidence of supernatural beings, but no one in the history of man kind can provide evidence. And they've been trying VERY hard to validate themselves (one relgion or the other) for many many years. If such a pursued endeavor (the endeavor to produce evidence of the validity of one's religion) has still failed after so many years, it's sufficient for me to decide that the chances of such evidence existing, but undiscovered by us, is slim to none.