Bad philosophical questions

For the love of the pursuit of knowledge

Moderator: Moderators

sin_is_fun
Sage

Bad philosophical questions

Post #1

Post by sin_is_fun »

I always am wary of people who tell me why I exist.They will first ask me "Do you know who you are?" I will tell them my name and my family name but they will not be satisfied with it."No,that is not what I asked" they will say.'Do you know your true self,your real nature,the real you?".I will then give various answers like 'I am an American' ,'I am a human' and 'I am a businessman' and so on.

They wont be satisfied with any answer I give.They will reject every answer I give with a smile."No,no thats not you..." they will say.Then finally they will give me the answer.They will tell me who I am and why I exist in this earth.Then they will ask me "what is the purpose of your life?".If I say 'nothing' they will be shocked."Nothing?Do you live for nothing?" they will scream.

"Listen son,life has a purpose and that purpose is -------------" they will say.

Depending upon who you talk to the purpose of life will be different.A christian will obviously say 'The purpose of life is to attain salvation'

A zen buddhist will say 'To know your true self'

A philanthrope will say 'To serve mankind'

Not only will these people give me a purpose to live for,they will then proceed to chart out a program to help me achieve that goal.They will tell me that their way is the best to attain that purpose.They will explain with scriptural proof how other ways are useless or dangerous .They will cite big names and will say "see these people went in this path and guarantee that it is the best path.So follow this path".Implied will be the question 'Are you intelligent than these great men?'

They will then proceed to list out the benefits of following that path.I will be promised with everlasting happiness if I follow that path.That path will not solve my current 'small problems' but will solve my biggest problem,the most important problem,they will say.Most of the times I wont even realize that I had such a problem,but these people will create such a problem and will insist that 'this is the most important problem which you have.(usually sin,impending hell are the most important problems which I have).Following this path will not remove my small useless problems like 'divorce,failing health,school etc'.But the path will take care of the 'most important problem' which I am not aware of.

If I hesitate then threats will follow.Eternal hell and damnation and so many threats will be used to make me to realize my mistake and to follow the prescribed path.

I am bored to death.I think that questions like "Who am I" , "what is the purpose of life" are meaningless questions.They are bad philosphical questions.There are hundreds of answers to these questions and hundreds of official ways to attain these purposes.

Many people waste their lives in searching for non existent answers to ridiculous questions.They sit in meditation for years and years and finally jump up and say "eureka" and give an answer.Some people believe them and run behind them.In the end there are multiple answers to bad philosphical questions and no answers are right.

For example one such bad philosphical question was

"why do people suffer?"

There are hundreds of answers for this question.

"Its because eve ate the apple" say our christian friends
'Its because of desire" say our buddhist friends.
"Its because of capitalism" say our communist friends

"How to remove sorrow and bring in everlasting joy?''.This is another bad philosphical question.

Answers will differ like 'jesus', 'krishna','remove desires' 'know your true self' and so on.

Now after reading all these attempts to answer these bad philsophical questions I have come to the following conclusions.

1.There is nothing called as true self.

2.There is no purpose for existence of life.we come,live,enjoy and go away,thats all.

3.Its a waste of time to try to find out answers to bad philsophical questions.It is better to enjoy what we have and feel satisfied.

what do you all think?Should these bad philsophical questions be pursued anymore?Should we believe in unknown big problems and the official paths to attain eternal, everlasting happiness?

Curious
Sage

Re: Bad philosophical questions

Post #21

Post by Curious »

sin_is_fun wrote: Then will all reach heaven?
Ask somebody who is selling.
sin_is_fun wrote: I think some questions have no answers.For example "who am I'. This questions has no answers
I agree, the question might not lead to an answer, but it certainly leads to further questions.